WTB split rim tool

Guest Merchant Xpress

Guest Merchant Xpress

I need the split rim tool for my wood spoke wheels on my 29 DB pickup. Or at least some good pictures of one so I can make one.

Harry

Guest Merchant Xpress

Mike, does it also open the rim for removal of the tire from the rim? It seems to me after removing a tire there should be a way to collapse the rim also.

Harry

Guest Merchant Xpress

Thank you Jay, yes, I did one today. My rim has a cam lock that rotates to collapse the rim and locks to keep the rim fully spread. I was looking on other threads and many of the split rims don't have the cam. I was wondering if there was a special tool that operated the cam but after talking with Michael and looking at the rim I can see how a tire tool and a cheater bar that goes over the cam end may make everything work correctly. If not I will have to buy a spreader.

Harry

Merchant Xpress....All you need is the correct zigzag tire wrench. It make two 90 degree bends and has a socket for the lugs on one end and a thick tab (that fits into the rim cam) on the other end. This particular tool came with my 1931 Dodge. It is the right tool for the leverage needed to turn that cam on the split rim.

post-37352-143138037243_thumb.jpg

Guest Merchant Xpress

Keiser, these split rims aren't the same as the truck split rims I worked on as a kid. With those you had to watch out when airing the tires up or they could come off and kill you. I saw a guy get peeled by one once and it was something I'll never forget. These rims are split in the middle instead of over edge of the rim. These aren't going to blow off the rim, they are the rim. I have a starter crank but it doesn't fit the lugs and it won't be helpful with the rims. There might be a correct one for this truck but if it has the crank end and the lug end I'm not sure where you would hook it to the cam?

Harry

I realize that they won't blow off like a regular split rim. It's just that I have run across some that are bent and come of sort of crooked. Doesn't your cam lug on your rim have a slot in it for a tool to insert like the one shown in the photo?

post-37352-143138037248_thumb.jpg

Guest Merchant Xpress

Keiser, no slot that I can see. Just a lug type bar that looks like a tool would fit over the end. Maybe a handle of some kind for leverage, I'm not sure. I just pried up on the end to get the cam to move so I could collapse the rim to get the tire off.

Harry

I have fought with split rims for years. Most of the three screw jacks were not large enough for my rims so I made my own and used a jig with hydralic jack to expand the rim. A couple of years ago I found an old Weaver comercial slit rim tool. It collapses and expands the rim with ease. I can change a tire now in 10 minutes without pinching the tube. I change tires for all my friends now. Find some one with this tool, old tire shops may have one.