heater motor control.

handmedownreatta

since i got this car the blower for the heater has been unplugged by me.when its plugged in it runs even when the keys off.when i set the heater control to off or heat the air comes from the defrost vents.when its set to bilevel that seems to work.im assuming i need another heater control box.is one from a 89 rivera the same?anyone know where the box is on the 89 reatta and 89 rivera?thanks for any help.

Classic shorted blower module. Have been many posts. Module is in the heater duct under the hood. Big wire straight to the blower motor.

With engine off there is no vaccuum to operate the diverter valve & it is spring loded to the defrost position.

I'd suggest getting two from Harry so you have a spare (I have had cars with the blower module continuously since 1990 and have had to replace three so far. Have only neded more oil pressure sensors).

Being lazy I usually only replace two of the three screws, the one closest to the firewall is a bear.

Guest SwiftBuicks

I bought one through CarQuest a week or two ago, and it cost me $180 + tax. It was warranteed. In addition it wasn't the exact duplicate of the one that had failed i.e. I think it was modernized. I solved the problem through this thread. You will always pay more at CarQuest, it seems, but their service is great. Everything works fine now.

AZ is showing two, both for under a buck, pictures look right.

Ready Aire / A/C Control Module 47503 $91.00

Santech / A/C Control Module MT0686 $99.99

Must admit that this is the kind of installation ( easy to change, non-critical) I would not be bothered about a used part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just #1. Last time I looked they were available, Delco 15-72530, GM PART # 12484912, they were used in any period GM car with ATC. </div></div>

the one in mine is a delco 16061602.i went to autozone today to buy a new one because thier website said they were in stock,but it lied.all they had was the second one with no warrenty.the santech one.im not buying a new part without a warrenty.

Guest SwiftBuicks

I didn't check with AZ, but Advanced Auto didn't have a part like that listed, only a resister, in their catagories. I paid for the part (actually $182 total); it was in the car the next day, and I had heat. Probably I should have checked with AZ, but I had read here that a guy had some trouble locating one, so I moved on the AutoQuest offer. They are local to me while AZ is a twelve mile drive away. Besides, I wasn't spending my own money.

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handmedownreatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got the one from car quest today because it had a year warrenty.i finally have heat! </div></div> Isn't it a great feeling!!!!

Guest Bobby Valines

Bought one from U pull $15.00 works great. Buying a used tested one for $30.00 would have been easier.( by the time you put gas in car and the time spent, hoping it works )

Guest Bobby Valines

I don't think there defected there just old. Sure would save a lot of money going used. I put the used one in almost a year ago, still works fine. ( your wife sure will be happy ) If it brakes again its a easy fix.

Guest SwiftBuicks

What makes you assume he has a wife? Junk yard parts have no guarantees regarding reliability. Yours lasted 6 years, then next guys failed within 100 miles. After putting starter motors and alternators into my cars and seeing them break down in a few weeks, I try to avoid the junk yards for everything but body parts. Consider the time spent driving to the yard, hunting the part down and taking it out when calculating the price, too. Then if it fails, you have to do it all over again. Finally, I see nothing wrong with supporting the after market companies and part stores that give good service.

Guest Bobby Valines

Was not assuming he has a wife just letting him know my wife was happy that I only spent $15.00 and not $180.00. A Lot of the after market parts are made in china. Like the belt tenchener I bought from Auto zone for my reatta. Napa did have one made in Canada $50.00 more. Would have went to napa had i known at the time. That part was a lot harder to change and I did have to walk home when it broke.

When I had a family, I always used top quality/new stuff on the family car. On mine a lot depended on whether I had one on hand, how difficult it was to replace, and the price.

For example an alternator is a ten minute job and rarely leave you stranded, I'd have no qualms about a used one that spun freely though I'd drop new brushes in it while off. A cruise control module is non-essential, easy to change & expensive new so same-same.

OTOH a rebuilt starter/solenoid is inexpensive and harder to change so I'd just replace the unit.

And on the gripping hand, if I needed to replace the a/c compressor, I'd buy new (along with oriface tube and dryer) - expensive but not something I'd want to do twice.

Understand when I buy a car, I usually keep for at least 5 and often over 20 years so think about repairs differently than someone who flips.