Buffalo Wire Wheel Restoration

STuTZ693

I have purchased new 24" lock ring rims and would like have some input on experiences you all have had with wire wheel restoration.

I am considering have the hubs painted black with polished stainless steel spokes and nipples. I think I will have the lock rings chromed but cannot make up my mind if the rims should be black or chromed. I have new black wall tires.

Your thoughts please.

post-50728-143138035136_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138035147_thumb.jpg

Just my own preferences:

These are going on the 25 Stutz? If so, chrome was not available in 25, I think.

The blackwalls will look slick with such a fancy wheel. Being that those wheels don't need much to make them look classier than they already are, I would go painted rims, spokes, and hubs; fresh nickel plated caps, and "maybe" nickel plated lockrings. I think chrome & stainless would make the car look too "repro".

Sometimes less is more smile.gif

Thanks for the great replies.

These wheels are for the 1925 Stutz and I had not thought about the repro look but am aware of the nickle versus chrome issue on a 1925 car. My thinking was that the chrome plating on the lock ring would be more durable than nickle.

This is my first project with a car of this era and we are not working towards a 100 point show car but rather a safe driving car.

I understand the requirement to have fully restored wheels for safe and reliable driving and the wheel restoration of 6 wire wheels by Dayton Wire Wheel is a one time expensive job as was the purchase of the new lock ring rims.

Since Dayton Wire Wheel does their chrome plating in house, should I ask if they can stop at the end of the nickle layer? Suggestions please.

Any plating shop can do nickel. However, I don't believe that Buffalo wheel were ever plated. Maybe somebody else can verify this. If it's your personal preference to plate parts of the wheel, that is your choice. Keep in mind, that if you ever want to sell the car, that many people will look at the plated wheels as a negative point, and it will actually de-value the car. Painting is so much less expensive, and most-likely authentic. For a car like a Stutz, the restoration should be authentic.

As for durability, I've had a couple of sets of wire wheels powder coated. It's cheap ($50 per wheel) and very strong. When they finally do start to look beat up again, I'll drop another $250 and have them all done again.

I don't know about the rest of you, but powder coating was not available in 1925, (I don't believe) either and I feel that there would be an obviously different look than paint. I guess I am just picky that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about the rest of you, but powder coating was not available in 1925, (I don't believe) either and I feel that there would be an obviously different look than paint. I guess I am just picky that way. </div></div>

It looks like paint to me. If you want to get that picky, then the wheels should only be painted with Duco or whatever varnish-like paint they used in 1925.

Thanks for the comments.

I like to look of the lock ring being plated since the tires are black walls.

I have some time before I take the wheels to Dayton to decide about polished S/S or painted spokes and pained or plated rims.

I have seen many cars of the era with polished S/S spokes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sldan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen many cars of the era with polished S/S spokes. </div></div>

I've seen them on many cars also, even Model A Fords. It doesn't make it correct.

As for the lock rings, many manufacturers started plating the lock rings in the 30s to prevent rust streaks on the sidewalls of the tires after driving in the rain. I've never seen them as original on anything prior to 1929.

I own a 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster and these exotic vehicals, like Stutz's, originally were also equipped with Buffalo Wire Wheels. The locking rings are supposed to be nickel, not chrome plated per the Buffalo sales brochures that I have. Any plating shop can do it, expensively. Be careful when you remount them though. The spokes, interior hubs,and actual wheel were usually painted. Many wire wheel restorations however, recommend that you repaint everything AFTER you've mounted the tires to avoid chipping. I tried it the other way, and you cannot avoid chipping.

As to powder coating, I have used powder coating on under carrage parts and with certain common colors, you cannot tell the difference. Judges can't either. However, when you have flashy Buffalo wire wheels, you may not be able to get the right contrast-color with the limited ranges of colors at powder coating shops. You Stutz needs wheels that make a statement.

Steve...I'm not saying not to use powder coating. I'm just saying that some of us can tell the difference between that and paint. The powder coating I have on my 1931 Dodge looks more like porcelain than paint.

Ron,

Thanks for the information. These tall 24" Buffalo wire wheels do look nice on a roadster!

I will have the lock rings nickle plated. I like the way that looks and still be period correct.

I will take the wheels to Dayton Wire Wheel for restoration and they only paint with conventional paint with hardener added once the wheel is completed.

I was thinking of polished S/S spokes and nipples but will be rethinking that idea since it would be difficult to get paint to stick on the S/S if I or someone else would want to paint them.

post-50728-143138037086_thumb.jpg

• Like 1