Extreme Straight 8 Engines

Bill Stoneberg

Was poking around and looking at different site and I came across a forum devoted to the Land Speed Records out in Bonneville. On the forum was a thread where they were describing and talking about Fuel Injected and Turbo Charged Straight 8's. One engine was a 1939 320 in an early 1950's Buick that was going 144 mph at 5000 RPM.

I grabbed some pictures just so everyone could see the engineering and modifications. These are 2 different engines in the pictures below.

The first engine is the one that goes 144 mph.

post-30710-143138029434_thumb.jpg

post-30710-143138029436_thumb.jpg

post-30710-143138029445_thumb.jpg

post-30710-143138029454_thumb.jpg

Bill,

Is there anything in the research you have done which indicates the year of the runs. I am thinking it would be a good idea to document all Buick racing endeavors, and will try to check this out if you do not recall or can easily find the dates. There were (and still are) A lot of creative minds in these efforts and I would not be surprised to see more similar over the years.

John

I first saw this car in OCW last year. I did a search and found the owner's email and invited him to display this car at our Heartland Regional Meet last Summer. He had to decline because the date of the regional fell on the same weekend he and his crew were running at the salt flats. I believe he's from the Springfield, MO area. I'd love to see and hear this baby run!

I met the guy with the supercharged Buick at the 2001 Hot Rod power tour.He was at the stop in Springfield MO.I was driving my 37 coupe with 455 Buick power, so we were kindred souls At the time his Buick was carburated, and he sent me a message that fall that he had set a record at Bonneville.

I have some info and pictures somewhere, but can't find them.