72 Electra - rust free! Nice and cheap! $1250 OBO!

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

NOT my car, but its on the derby site and trying to save it from an early fate in a derby!

This is the ad from the site.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">"I have a very nice 90k 4dr buick 225 driver. Car is 100% Rust free. Rides and drives 100%. 4 near new tires. 455/400. Car is very clean. Dark Brown exterior with light cream interior. 12 Bolt bolt in rearend. $1250.00 obo. At $1250.00, This price gets you 350 miles of delivery at no charge.Trades Welcome Delivery Available for a fee.

Any ?s 308 991 3367"</span>

He is going to post photos... I will put them here when he does.

Guest ZondaC12

WOW! Geez for 400 more than I paid for my crown vic I just got as a winter car...I'd take that!!!! And do the same as this thing and still wash it like crazy to try and keep the salt off....still try and keep it nice laugh.gif

Guest Shaffer

Here are the photos of that guys 72' Electra. Its a little lighter in color that mine was...

$1250 OBO! Better hurry!

mmm4.jpg

mmm3.jpg

mmmm.jpg

mmm2.jpg

mmm.jpg

mm1.jpg

Here is his ad again....

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have a very nice 90k 4dr buick 225 driver. Car is 100% Rust free. Rides and drives 100%. 4 near new tires. 455/400. Car is very clean. Dark Brown exterior with light cream interior. 12 Bolt bolt in rearend. $1250.00 obo. At $1250.00, This price gets you 350 miles of delivery at no charge.Trades Welcome Delivery Available for a fee.

Any ?s 308 991 3367 </span>

Guest imported_MrEarl

Beautiful color. Looked promising... til I see that the area code is <span style="font-size: 20pt">NORTH PLATT NEBRASKA</span> shocked.gif Somebody should go for this Titanic

Good test of interest out there. I have owned several of these, they don't get horrible gas mileage either 15-17mg, same as your SUV. When you drive these on mixed city/urban routes they aren't bad. Very relaxing.

Now, where else can you get a 90,000 mile car for $1000. And one that can be so easily fixed, no computer diagnosis tool required. Gets the same mileage as your SUV.

I bought a4 door 72 Electra 225 last November. It had sat in a garage for 8 years with 46,000 miles on it. After new tires, windshield washer pump, carburetor rebuild, water pump,heater valve, radiator rebuild, and a couple of belts.

I still have to rebuild the air conditioner compressor.

I am probably in it over the $1250 that this guy is asking but I am happy as a bug in a rug.

I think that this is a very reasonable price.

I drive it for my everyday car. It rides smooth and there is leg room for everyone in the front and back seats. The trunk is big enough to carry something.

I like the pillarless hard top.

I put 235 x75 r15 tires on it. They are just a bit larger than what came on it when I bought it.

When I want to burn up some gas, I can squeek the tires from a standing start.

Best of all, it is old enough to be exempt from the State required Smog inspection.

I had a 73 Limited that I finally sold in September. I thought it would be worth at least $1,500, but took $1,000, and at the end was glad to get it as it took 4 months to sell it. Unfortunately, there is not much demand for these cars. Easy to see how they end up in a demo derby.

These cars are great value for the money as parts are easy to come by and repairs are generally within the scope of a do-it-yourselfer.

Guest Dan Cook

That is about I get for milage on my Electra and now that gas is down it's alot less painful to fill that big tank. I was still driving it even when gas was at $4.00 but not as much. I'm dickering for a 1970 2 door Electra now. I'm going to use these photos to help negotiate the price I want. Then I will have to get the OK from the head of this household. I know another car is going to have to go.

Guest ZondaC12

Its great no one wants an old 4-dr huge V8 monstrocity. Even 70s isn't old enough yet I guess. But look at that...so much car for the money....just as worthy as anything else, they hold up...and cmon that's classy that's got so much style, unlike every new sedan that in my eyes anyway, is approaching a "semicircle on wheels".

I'd buy that if nothing else to experience the ride. I bet it can't get much better living-room-sofa-like than a 70s high end car like a Buick or Caddy.

And I didnt even notice until now that it was a 455 car!!!! Awesome double-super bonus points. I'd probably have to find a way to restrain myself from really opening up that exhaust. Probably would sound downright evil. (yes I would want to listen to a hellish rumble in a fluffy luxury car. I am *that* insane. laugh.gif )

There is no opening it up on a 70-76 era fullsize Buick. The gearing was numercially low and the cars weighed a lot. They could get up to speed for sure - cruise at 100 mph plus with adequate tires but I drove a 72 Limited 2 door hardtop as a daily driver for about 8 months. My 2 biggest frustrations were the take off from stop (s-l-o-w) and parking the huge beast.

Sure, my engine and horsepower were superior to rice burners, but they were ebgineered for zippiness. It's an interesting contrast that says as much about the change in times from 1972 to 2008 then anything else.

The gotta get there at all cost, cell phone glued to my ear mentality. Those SUV's and trucks would get better gas mileage too, with numerically low axles ratios but then the whole world would seem like it was crawling. That's how my 455 equipped early 70's Buicks got 15-17 honest mpg, the rear axle rations and the 1500 rpm cruising engine speed at 65 mph.

Can't speak from experience on a 72, but I think most people would be very surprised with the performance of my 69 Electra. This car can move out without much prodding and if the mood suits ya it can burn a mean streak from both rear wheels.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

My old 72' Electra would get down the road. One day I peeled out and did not even realize it would do it and I did not even press the gas down that much. It had alot more power than my 73' Grand Ville also with a 455.

I wonder if anyone ever bought this car, or if its been stripped and crashed in a derby. ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 56buickinga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good news everyone. this car was purchased and is being used as a driver, not a derby car. </div></div>

Are you the new owner??

This Electra came on the market just a few months too early for me.

Still good to hear it is saved from derbies

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 56buickinga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I am not the new owner. I called to become the new owner but it had already sold. The person selling it said a man from Nebraska purchased it for a driver not a derby car. </div></div>

Darn. I was lookin forward to a ride in that boat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 73 Limited </div></div>

I would like to find a 1973 4dr Limited... preferably black, dark blue or green..... pick #2/3, would be a 1971-72 Limited.

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 56buickinga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I am not the new owner. I called to become the new owner but it had already sold. The person selling it said a man from Nebraska purchased it for a driver not a derby car. </div></div>

Good to hear it was sold as a driver. That was my main objective of posting it here. I see alot of these cars (not only Buicks, but Pontiacs, Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs) of this era posted on that site in good condition and priced cheap and unfortunately, many derbiers would not hesitate to crash these up, no matter how nice they are. Unfortunately they cant all be saved and I normally dont post the other makes, because I know of no other sites of other makes as popular as this one.

I owned a loaclly purchased 72 just like that - same color, bare bones 72 Electra non custom 4 door. It even had roll up windows. It had 43,000 miles when I bought it. I sold it to a BCA member from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I drove it down there.

Many of these cars seem to be available with low miles.

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned a loaclly purchased 72 just like that - same color, bare bones 72 Electra non custom 4 door. It even had roll up windows. It had 43,000 miles when I bought it. I sold it to a BCA member from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I drove it down there.

Many of these cars seem to be available with low miles. </div></div>

Yeah, they do pop up from time to time. I love to see those plain-jane models to compare. Crank windows was a rarity. I have even seen a 72' Buick Estate Wagon (and a couple of 71-72 Electras) without A/C! I used to think that the non-Custom Electra models were quite rare, but over the past few years, I have seen a few. Strange, but I see alot more of these cars (72' non-Custom 4dr Electras) than I do 72' Pontiac Grand Villes, despite that there were 19,433 non-Custom 4dr Electras made in 72', versus 41,346 4dr Grand Villes in 72'. Then there was the whopping production # of 104,754 4dr Custom Electras in 72'.

I have a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville Custom 4dr and despite being 44,092 being made that year, I rarely see them around, even for sale on the internet. I cant recall the last time I saw a 73' Grand Ville 4dr for sale. In comparison, there were 107,031 73' Electra Customs made, but even those seem to be less seen than the 72' Electras. Strange.

I would LOVE to find a 1973 Electra Limited 4dr in good condition. smile.gif