Steering gear half nuts for a 1927 Buick Standard Six

Hugh H

Does anyone know where I could get steering gear half nuts to fit a 1927 Buick Standard Six (Series 115)? Part Numbers are 256360 (right hand) and 256361 (left hand). The existing ones are very worn and the steering wheel tends to bind when turned to the limit, either right or left.

Hi Mark

Thanks for your kind offer. I've checked with a local Buick expert who also has a 1924 tourer in his collection. He has reference manuals from the 20s and he confirms what Leif has said (thanks for looking that up, Leif) - that the half nuts from any of the 1924 models won't fit my car. Thanks anyway.

regards

Hugh (BCA#42545)

Hugh,

Have looked at the steering gear half nuts in BOTH the spare steering boxes I have ( 1928 ).

According to my 1928 Series 115 book of parts they should be the same as yours, 256360 and 256361. They are however 256298 and 256299. My RHD suplement confirms they should be the same as LHD.

I cannot find any reference to 256298 or 256299 in any of my parts books and they do not appear on the list supplied by Lief.

The steering box will be identical to yours but I am at a loss as to why the numbers are different. Maybe Dave Corbin has a suggestion.

Hi Stuart

Thanks very much for checking out those 1928 half nuts. I'll ask the local expert if he has any idea why the numbers should be different to what the parts list says they should be.

I would certainly be interested in the half nuts if they are compatible.

What sort of condition are they in?

regards

Hugh Hanna (BCA#42545)

Christchurch

New Zealand

(PS I see that you guys have just slaughtered us in the cricket. Again.)

If the numbers 256298 and 256299 are those on the parts, the answer is probably that the book parts number and the casting numbers on the parts are different, something that is not unusual.

In my experience, the interchange in the parts book has always been correct. If the measurements of the parts are the same, I would assume that they would work.

Fred

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Rawling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the numbers 256298 and 256299 are those on the parts, the answer is probably that the book parts number and the casting numbers on the parts are different, something that is not unusual.

In my experience, the interchange in the parts book has always been correct. If the measurements of the parts are the same, I would assume that they would work.

Fred </div></div>

Fred,

It is a bit confusing. These are definately from a 1928 Series 115 steering box and the numbers are part numbers not casting numbers.

The part numbers are earlier than the numbers supplied in Leif's information which indicates 256360 and 256361 are the 2nd type for 1927 - 1928 series 115. It would appear the part numbers may be those for the 1st type half nut for 1927 Series 115.

All we need is some sort of confirmation!!!

post-31244-143138023597_thumb.jpg

post-31244-1431380236_thumb.jpg