sad news...

I won't kid you, there are some 'unobtainium' bits and pieces blush.gif Heck, I couldn't even find a replacement clutch(but others have?) so I ended up swapping to a different FWD Chrysler transmission. Most of the top end/valvetrain parts are remanufactured now but some of the engine internals would require custom pieces in the unlikely event that you ever needed any. Probably the most nagging of the standard 'maintanance items' is the lack of an available valve cover gasket frown.gif I have a couple that are weepy and tough to seal, fresh ones would be nice!

All of the little uniqely finicky traits of the TC's you already know about... If you like yellow, you'd be in luck with the 16V cars. Seems like every time one pops up, it's a Blondie grin.gif

Alan

Alan

That gives an oportunity to vent some thoughts on replacements if ever necessary. Please let me know if my thoughts are correct or at least feasable..

Clutch. I had previously suggested "Clutch rebuilders". I have since found a couple that will rebuild your clutch to standard, or specialty specs.

If the innards of the engine ever had to be replaced I'd switch to a standard chrysler (shely) 2.5, and install the head on it.I understand the head fits..

Valve cover gasket. is it a standard round "O" ring type filler set in a grove. If that is so; can't we get the "O" ring material of the correct size cut it to length miter fit the ends and put it all together with "RTV silicone.??

All these are thoughts without any actual experiences (except the "o" ring thing) and are open to any criticisms. Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alan

That gives an oportunity to vent some thoughts on replacements if ever necessary. Please let me know if my thoughts are correct or at least feasable..

Clutch. I had previously suggested "Clutch rebuilders". I have since found a couple that will rebuild your clutch to standard, or specialty specs.

If the innards of the engine ever had to be replaced I'd switch to a standard chrysler (shely) 2.5, and install the head on it.I understand the head fits..

Valve cover gasket. is it a standard round "O" ring type filler set in a grove. If that is so; can't we get the "O" ring material of the correct size cut it to length miter fit the ends and put it all together with "RTV silicone.??

All these are thoughts without any actual experiences (except the "o" ring thing) and are open to any criticisms. Lou </div></div>

Good thoughts (maybe we should have a separate thread so we dont trample on GTP's) but you did sorta ask GTP and it's *your* thread wink.gif

I took my used clutch pressure plate and disc to three different manufacturers, non of the three could "rebuild" it. The best one (CLutchmasters in El Monte CA) said they could surface the Pressure plate, test the diaphragm for holding power (it still had 1800 lbs of pressure in it, Oleg thought that was plenty) and make a new disc. THe discs are easy to get because they are a standard size, it's the plate that's not made in that style anymore.

A large O ring for the valve covers might work, but the cam end seals are integrated into the design.

Yes the standard Shelby 2.2/2.5 block rods, and crank will work but my theory is, the 16V TC head flows so well, it WANTS lots of RPMs. The camshafts are so conservative on their lift and duration, THEY want lots RPM's as well. So in my opinion. a 2.2 is better suited for the task. Less grunt (torque) but better HP up top. I am currently building a 16V Masi headed motor based on these assumptions. The crankshaft has been welded up and offset ground to have LESS stroke than the 2.2's. It will displace 2 liters insted of 2.2. What that does is keep the piston speed low enough to allow about 9000 RPM's to make that big HP number cool.gif We'll see, I'll either hit the HP goal (somewhere north of 500 ;)) or put a rod thru the block at those speeds.

Me thinks it may be premature to think about all these replacement parts Lou, your motor has lots of life left in it according to Dr Hemi smile.gif

Alan

Alan...I like your thinking on the 2L vs. 2.2 or 2.5L. I've done some playing with autocross Saturn Sky Redline motors. If you notice--GM went to 2L on the Redline turbo motor vs 2.2L in the standard non-turbo Sky. Same block.Just like the Honda s2000 you have to keep the revs up.VERY F-1.

I have a yellow 89 I bought from the original owner's estate with 25K miles. Has umbrella and tool kit. Everything is in great shape except AC doesn't work. A friend called me at work and said he was at the estate sale and one of those Italian body cars I collect was there, priced right. I told him to buy it without seeing it. Well, I collect Allantes, this is too small for me at 6'4" and a lot of pounds. I'll sell it for $5K firm.

Then a guy sees the yellow one and tells me about a 90 that needs work. I needed some small parts for the 89 (mainly those rubber parts in the chrome trim around the tonneau cover) so i bought it and fixed it. It is white with a black interior, small puncture hole in ragtop. Has new heads, water pump, timing chain, tune-up, etc etc. Rust at the bottom of one rocker. V6 car. Will sell for $2600 firm.

Alan,

Those thoughts were not caused by any expectations on my part, just thinking on use of things available and optional substitutes under the circumstances. lz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inventorgtp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can pick over her carcas at evergreen wrecking spokane washington....i dont have the heart for it. </div></div>

Might give you some closure GTP, plus you are going to find another TC you want right? Sure would be nice to start off with plenty of spares.

For a while while I worked at Children's Hospital in Oakland Ca, I was on the organ transplant team. 'Harvesting' organs from deceased children was never happy work, but when you save lives with them just hours later, it makes the process much more palatable smile.gif Blondie has many good parts to give so that other TC's can live I'm sure cool.gif

Alan

You guys remember my article on building the engine for my yellow 89 that you see on the pages of Allpar?

That engine, also pictured, was built from a 2.5L TBI common block. The forged crank is from a 2.2L Turbo, same with the rods. The pistons are stock, standard bore from a 16 valve engine. The pistons, having a smaller diameter wrist pin are mated to the connecting rods by custom made wrist pin bushing which merely have a greater wall thickness. It's really no big thing to build the bottom end of a 16 valve engine and should never be. We all know where to get the head pieces from, don't we? Rick in Florida.

By the way, anyone really interested in a 16 valve, yellow '89 TC might check with me. That car you see on Allpar could be had by any one of you.