Honeycomb Radiators for early Chryslers

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

Has anyone had an early honeycomb radiator replaced or recored? I contacted a business mentioned in this forum located in Lewiston, Maine. After sending photo's and much discussion, their bid was four thousand five hundred dollars to replace the radiator in my '30 Chry. This seems way high to me, but what are my options?

Every company in the U.S. has these cores manufactured in England and they put a 50% mark-up on them. I bought direct from England and had a company in the Pittsburg area do the re-core for me. Total price was just under $2000.

For less money they can slice the existing core and put a false front on a modern radiator to make it look original. The cost will all depend on the size and thickness. What is the thickness of your radiator? I will get the information for the company to you.

By the way.. The type of Honeycomb radiator we have is the "Auburn" style. The only other car companies to use this style was the Packards and Duesenburgs. So we are in good company!!

Dan

Guest jimstulga

This is some great info, Dan!! The thickness of my radiator, best I can tell by measuring from the back side with a ruler is 1 7/8". If you want to post more info to this site, that would be fine or email me at Jas78s@sbcglobal.net (that is a letter "s" after the 78) Thanks!!!

Jim

Guest 1953 C60-2

Any info on recoring or repair of the honeycomb style radiator used on 1953 Chrysler? Is it similar to yours and the problems you mentioned? Is it considered "heretical" to recore with a non-honeycomb radiator and if you have gone this route what problems did you incur???

Hey Guys.. For starters, a radiator that is 2 inches thick, $4500 seems like an outrageous price. If it was a lot thicker or some odd shape I could see that price being in line.

The gentleman that did the restoration work (re-core) on my radiator is Gerry from Universal Carnegie Manufacturing.1-800-967-9554. I liked Gerry because he was up front and honest and didn't try to tell me that they actually make the Honeycomb cores in house like all the other shops I got quotes from. Gerry does manufacture good quality modern cores that you could save a lot of money if you are not interested in it being original or like I mentioned before, he can slice the front of the original and apply it to the front to make it appear original. I wanted an all original radiator so I spent the extra $$$.

I got lucky with my situation because I have a brother who has a radiator shop here in Cleveland and I was able to purchase the core in England through his company name. I sensed Gerry doesn't like to deal too much with getting cores from outside his shop because all of the hassle and leg work he would have to do to make sure it is the proper size and shape. I am just grateful he was willing to work with me in letting me get the core on my own. I'm not so sure he would do it again.

The initial quote I got from him for an original Auburn Honeycomb core where he did the leg work for the core from England was around $3000. If I were to just want a modern radiator core with the restoration, the estimate was around $1200. To slice my core and apply a false front was an additional $300.

The company in England I got the core from was The Vintage Car Radiator Company. If you google them and look at their product list you will see the different styles of Honeycombs to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Dan

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jim,

If you have a model 70 or 77 you may want to call me !!

I have a brand new radiator cote with top and bottom !!

I bought it from a man who had it done only to find out it wouldn't fit his model 75 . I also have the rechromed shell and leuvers !! I am only asking $1,200. for the rebuilt radiator .Contact me and I will send pictures !!I'm not sure you may have contacted me before but at that time, thought that was too much ! astheime@ptd.net 610-863-6955

Jay