Carburetor exhcange?

Guest Riviator

Guest Riviator

My '63 came to me ten years ago with a remanufactured Edelbrock 1406 carburetor. I've wanted to replace it, but I'm getting conflicting reports of Edelbrock vs. Holley. I obviously know the Edelbrock fits, but I've been told I might be happier with a Holley. I've gotten conflicting reports from Holley tech support whether it will fit on the 401. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go to V8buick.com and look there Brian. There's a whole section devoted to the Nailheads with people that know them inside and out. And yes, a Holley will work for you. In fact, I'm considering one as well. And the best thing is that there are people there that can help you tune it to the engine for maximum power or efficiency.

The KEY is going to be the base plate bolt pattern. Some (or many) of the earlier Carter AFBs had a "small pattern" although they were still "square bore" carburetors. The replacement Edelbrocks, as some later Carter AFB replacement carbs, had BOTH bolt hole patterns drilled on the base plate.

The Edelbrock carb is built on the same architecture as the earlier Carter AFB carbs--not something Edelbrock designed themselves, they bought the remains of the prior Carter Carburetor Company from Federal Mogul in the 1980s, did some refinements, and cristened them "Edelbrock" carbs.

I don't recall any Holley squarebore carb having the "small pattern", only the larger "Holley" pattern that is the same as the "large pattern" Carter/Edelbrock carbs have capabilities of using. What you will find on the aftermarket manifolds will be the "Holley" pattern, which is the outer set of bolt holes on the Edelbrock/Carter AFB and AVS carbs.

Happiness can be had with either Carter or Holley carbs, as long as they fit the manifold and ALSO have the appropriate base gasket mechanisms for the manifold. NO Holleys used the "heat track" carb set up as the Carters and Rochesters did, in the appropriate model years. In those cases, it will take a different intake manifold to currectly use the Holley squarebore carbs.

Regards,

NTX5467

Wise to re-read the response by Rivnut.

Unless you have MAJOR modifications done to your engine, there are no A/M carburetors that will work "out of the box" as well as the original carburetor.

Yes, the A/M units can be modified (additional dollars); however, I would doubt very seriously if any of the A/M units can be modified to be more efficient on a basically stock engine than the original. After all, the Buick engineers did more than a few hours "R & D" to dial in the original.

Jon.