1923 Buick Four Cylinder - What to Look For?

Steve Braverman

My father and I are going to look at a 1923 Buick Four that is for sale locally. According to a good friend who worked on the car a couple of years ago, it runs great and has low mileage. It is an unrestored car. I know very little about early Buicks. Is there anything in particular to look for? Are these cars any good? What can we expect from it as a tour car?

Steve,

I know of three more 23 buicks within 15 miles of me here in the Vancouver WA area. But, none of them are on the road yet.

Brian Heil near Flint MI is you man. He's done a lot of touring with his 23. I am sure he can give you some pointers. I suggest you look him up in the BCA directory an give him a call as he doesn't often frequent this forum.

Look up Tom Black from NY in the BCA Rooster also. He has a 4 cylinder Buick that is a little older but runs great. Also a McLaughlin-Buick that is a 4 Cylinder around 1922. He could also fill you in with some info. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Ask away Steve.

Nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder line. Most 1923 roads were so bad that you could not run a 6 cylinder car any faster than a 4 cylinder car. A 4 should run all day @ 35 mph.

1923 is the last year for rear only brakes so make sure you evaluate the braking of the vehicle. It is typical for rear only brakes but some find it not up to their expectation and go looking for a 4 wheel brake car.

6 cylinder line is geared differently and a little faster for touring but the 4 will run all day with no worries and plenty of power.

My suggestion that I give anyone looking at an old car is, take it out for a good long ride, as in at least 30 miles with some good grades and when you get back let it idle warm in front of the seller. Oil pressure hot should be 4 psi minimum, and the cooling system should run all day in 100F weather. Check for odd noises hot. Rotten tires, gas tank full of mud, slipping fan belt, need for a tune up etc. are all good things to drive the price down and easy enough to fix.

I know what to expect from an early 20s car as far as performance and braking. I guess my question, without sounding like a snob, is how does this car compare with its contemporaries. I know it was priced around $900 new, so it should be a much better car than a Chevy or Dodge. However, it's still a smallish four cylinder machine. My dad just sold a small, four cylinder Franklin, but that was a much more expensive car, and the finish and appointments were beautiful. I know the small Buick is no Packard, but is it considerably different from a Chevrolet of the same vintage?

I re-read your post and note just now you speak of a Tour Car. If I were looking for a Tour Car, I would hold out for a 6 cylinder in 1923. Heck, I'd like 4 wheel brakes too. My car was a gem that ran poorly due to timing and timing advance weight issues but other wise was in wonderful condition and best of all it was priced very well.

A cute 4 cylinder Buick that runs well and is priced right is always a better deal than a lesser car.

Thanks for the responses. When I said tour car, I guess what I really should have said was "driver." We probably won't be taking any long road trips with the car, we just want something for local driving. However, the car needs to be reliable and fun to drive. My dad's other cars are a 1910 Sears and a 1923 Franklin Demi-Sedan, so a 1923 Buick would probably be his main runner. The Sears runs great, but is obviously limited in its abilities by its design. I have been working on his Franklin, as it has been sitting for a long time, and I hope to have it on the road soon, but we both want an open car as well.

Two-wheel brakes and 35 mph don't bother me. We live in an area with all two-lane roads and no hills. In fact, I live at the highest point in town, 40 feet above sea level.

For real touring, I drive my '32 Franklin. If you have been reading my other posts, I wrote about a trip I took in July with my family. We covered 1,200 miles in two weeks with our two-year-old daughter. Nothing beats a big sedan for that kind of travel.

We are hoping to see the Buick this week. It sounds like it will be a good fit for what we want. I'll keep everyone posted.

Guest Darryl_Crank

I have owned a 23-4-35 for several years now which starts every time and runs great. I have driven it to car shows 30 miles away with no problems. The four cylinder is a great engine but can only go about 40 mph max.

The good thing abuot 4 cylinders is it has 2 less cylinders you have to wory about.

A 1923 should have a multiple disk clutch which is ten times better than the cone clutch in my 1915. The multi disk type will give many years of service. Just several weeks ago I reworked a throw out bearing cage in a 1917 Columbia Ambulance for The Old Rhinebeck Aero Drome. The cage seperated in to two pieces from the fingers that disengaged the cluch. The Ambulance is based on a 1917 GMC truck chassies and the clutch is similar to the Buick. When I took it apart, the disks showed very little wear. A very durable design. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Steve,

This Buick seems to be a good fit for what you are looking for. The BCA is full of guys and gals that will be glad to help with any Buick issues.

Just so you know (since you are not a BCA member), Brian Heil was our PreWar Div. AfterTour leader this year when we toured 80 - 100 miles per day for several days after the BCA National Meet in Flint MI.

Two years ago, he drove his Buick from Michigan to Minnesota for the BCA Meet. He really does enjoy driving 23 4cyl. Buick.

Good luck in acquiring this Buick. You will certainly be welcomed into the BCA PreWar Div.

I drove the '23 Buick today. It's a very tight, low mileage, original car. A lot of fun to drive. Unfortunately, the paint and upholstery are too far deteriorated to preserve. If we were to drive this car, it would need at least paint and upholstery. I don't want another project.

We are going to see a 1919 Buick six also. Is this engine the same engine used up through 1931? Is the six a considerable larger car? Or is it a similar car with a longer hood?

Guest imported_Thriller

According to the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span>, all 1919s had a 242 ci inline 6 making 60 brake hp. This appears to be the same engine in the 1923 six, but by 29, there was definitely an evolution (my model 51 has a displacement of 309.6 ci). Depending on the model, wheelbase is either 118" or 124".

The 1923 4 has a wheelbase of 109", so the 1919 should be a longer car.

Good luck.

The 16 thru 23 engines are all similar and look the same, exposed valve gear till 18, cylhead and cylinders cast as one piece, splash lube system. 1924 all 6's had a detatchable cyl head and those engines evolved till 1930. The 6cyl chassis is quite different the the 4, 6 cyl rear springs are cantilever with torque tube drive. No parts are interchangeable, everything is bigger on a 6, models 44,45,and 46 are 118" wheelbase, models 48,49,50, and the sport models of 22&23 are 124". I think the 6 is a better road car.

Hope that helps,

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

• 5 weeks later...