Reatta wind tunnel picture

Barney Eaton

This is a rare photo, I purchased it from a memorabilia vendor in Flint, it supposidly hung in the 3800 engine plant.

If you look closely, you can see chains behind each wheel holding it in place.

I discovered that the photo was stuck to the glass in several places and had it scanned and digitized so we could reproduce it for the December Bugle.

If anyone is interested, I can have copies made. The original is 20 X 24 but 8 X 10 could be made. I was quoted $8.00 sq/ft for copies. Not sure how that works out for a 8 X 10 plus there will be postage, a mailing tube, and I would like to recover some of my $30 it cost for the scan and digitizing.

post-30596-143138003223_thumb.jpg

Notice how the RH headlight cover fits, in the early days we had to check just about every car in diferent stages of asm. to see what was causing panels to be mis-aligned, (gap and flush) and it wasn't just the head lights it was every panel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63viking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the drive wheels would be chained if it was a dyno room.. </div></div>

Buick1.jpg

Looks like a dyno wheel here. You do chain on a dyno

I have never heard of a wind tunnel test with a car chained. Are they testing at 400 mph?

The again GM might just chain through the rims? I see no signs of anything to move air and it looks as though the ceiling has a slope to it.

Who knows?

After closer review what I thought were reflected lights might be white treads indicating airflow, if they were lights thay would probably be more rounded. If you look at the base of the windsheild they are more thread shaped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63viking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hasn’t anyone noticed the plaque at the bottom of the picture?

It say's "Taken in Buicks wind tunnel building #94"

</div></div>

Clearly looks to me like they have a dyno in the wind tunnel building . . . Likely. . . in the Dyno building they have a photo of a Reatta in a Wind Tunnel labelled Reatta in the Dyno Building grin.gif

Guest jamhudson

It says at the bottom Wind tunnel. You can enlarge the picture with Interner Explorer 7 and 8. Look over near the time where it says 100% and enlarge till you can see it.

Taken in Buick's wind tunnel

Build 94 Flint Mich. (3copies)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamhudson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It says at the bottom Wind tunnel. You can enlarge the picture with Interner Explorer 7 and 8. Look over near the time where it says 100% and enlarge till you can see it.

Taken in Buick's wind tunnel

Build 94 Flint Mich. (3copies) </div></div>

jamhudson;

I believe 1/2 of what I see and none of what I hear, especially if a politician is speaking. This is not a wind tunnel!

<span style="color: #009900"> </span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">I do not believe this is a wind tunnel</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL_Reatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I the second one is a little more clear... is for sure a roller. </div></div> Correct, dyno roller laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63viking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a dyno, those are the smallest rollers I've ever seen. </div></div> They look to be 5 or more feet in diameter to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63viking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure that we are looking at the same picture?

5 feet or more in diameter?

Let's see time pi that's how many feet around?

If that's a dyno roller, it is smaller than the foot print of the tires. </div></div>

Buick1-1.jpg

Buick2.jpg

Use your good eye!

C = 2pr C=2x3.14159 X 2.5 = 15.7 feet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a little food for thought here guys.

Look at the photo I posted. Look at the chains closely. They are holding the car to prevent it from going backwards. Do you know anyone who would want to do a dyno test with the car in reverse? I don't think so. </div></div>

NO! The chain comes in from the left or from the right and they are angled DOWN!! and attach to the floor of the wind tunnel (not) or to the Dyno floor. or they could simply be resting on the floor with no tension on them.

The Reatta is not fully on the Dyno Rollers in this photo. Likely when it is they then attach up to the floor then up to the Reatta to prevent it from moving forward. This is hidden by the wheel.

Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on my Reatta is that low to the ground for the chains to attach to.

Ronnie I do like your logic but we can't see where or how the chain is attached to the Reatta. I do know there is nothing that low on my Reatta or any Reatta that I have ever seen.

Guest CL_Reatta

There really is no point in fighting over this... I mean IMO it is for sure on a dyno of some sorts, otherwise it would be pointless for there to be rollers on the ground... but fighting is not going to go anywhere.... did anyone here taking the actuall picture, NO. Does anyone know the 100% real answer, NO. This is just gonna be like that Teves brake pressure thread and everyone is going to to get mad and upset.

Some of our postings have gone from a technical or information gathering theme to becoming blogs.

This site is monitered by the administrators and if we stray too far from the intended purpose, posting will be pulled, and as happened in the past, members sign-in privliges have been pulled.

This is just a reminder to newer members.

Guest CL_Reatta

IDEA: Break into the plant now that it is closed. look over every square inch of the place, and find this room!

Disclaimer: Take this idea at your won risk, will not be held responsible for any prossecution that may happen from this.

Not being a GM insider, I recall someone saying that GM did not have their own wind tunnel until the late '70's -early '80's.... they rented time at NASA until theirs was built.... I would also think it would be a central location for all GM products, some place like the Milford location.