63 Riviera Brake Lights

Guest Keith Fosse

Guest Keith Fosse

My son and I purchased a 63 project(!) yesterday. Our first order of business is brake lights. We worked with the seller for several hours to get the brake lights up and running without success. The brake switch itself works, the sockets work, bulbs work, etc. We did feel like we had a wire, so we jumpered around it from the brake switch back to the socket, but we couldn't get it to work.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? I'll thank you in advance - and I'm sure it won't be the last time we will need help.

Guest simplyconnected

Don't your turn signals interrupt your brake lights? The brake switch is certainly important, but your turn signal switch circuit (plug) might be the culprit.

Also, make sure you have good lamps, and solid grounds on your lamp sockets. If you have a schematic, ring it out from under the dash, then check the trunk. It's highly unlikely your cable assembly is cut (open) in the middle of two plugs.

Hope this helps. Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Fosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son and I purchased a 63 project(!) yesterday. Our first order of business is brake lights. We worked with the seller for several hours to get the brake lights up and running without success. The brake switch itself works, the sockets work, bulbs work, etc. We did feel like we had a wire, so we jumpered around it from the brake switch back to the socket, but we couldn't get it to work.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? I'll thank you in advance - and I'm sure it won't be the last time we will need help. </div></div>

Welcome to the group, Keith! (and son!)

I love my '63 Riviera. You've come to the right place. There is more combined knowledge here about these cars than anywhere else on earth...

If you don't have one already, get a copy of the factory original shop manuals for the car. Buick did separate Chassis and Body manuals in '63. The Chassis manual is higher priority. You can get reprints, and originals are still available. It will be the best money you ever spent on your car (after the $30 you paid for your Riviera Owners Association dues, that is. You guys did join the ROA, I hope?)

Feel free to ask us anything about your new car.

Keith,

Your 63 has a wire that is hot at all times running to one side of the brake light switch, which originally is mounted on the master cylinder. The other wire runs from the brake lamp switch to the turnsignal switch, which like Dave said, sends the brake light signal to the rear of your car. If your rear turn signals work, than the most likely cause of the concern is the turn signal switch or connections/wire from the brake switch to the turn signal switch itself. Welcome aboard and good luck with your Riviera!

HTH,

Tim

Guest simplyconnected

Forgive my ignorance, Keith Fosse. I was so excited about answering your question, I didn't notice this was your very first post. As Jim Cannon suggested, this place is teeming with genuine people who love to help fellow restorers such as yourself. Welcome. We hope to hear from you often, as we all bring different talents to this forum. - Dave Dare (originally from Oak Park, Illinois)

Guest Keith Fosse

Thanks for all the responses! We got into it some tonight, and like many of you said, we also have issues with the turn signals. I think we are starting to figure that out, which hopefully will lead to the problem with the brake lights. I'll keep everyone posted (or be asking for more help!)

We did join ROA, and were fortunate enough to get both manuals with the car. Having dealt with the Chilton manuals before, it is amazing how much more detail are in these.

Guest Keith Fosse

Ed,

The turn switch on our Riv seems to be different than what you described and the service manual describes. What we have is a cable that runs down the mast to a turn switch mounted at the bottom of the column. Does this make sense, or is it a nonoriginal part that was added on?

The current setup has the cable attached to the peg on the turn switch, where the manual shows shows more of a rod/linkage type hookup.

Keith-

Your setup is correct for a car with the tilt column option.

If the wiring harness is not plugged in tight at the switch on the column or the electrical connections at the switch not good, you will have no brake lights. Pull the plug off, clean connectors, plug it back on snug. Then try brake lights again.

Did you see if you have 12 volts at one of the wires at the brake light switch? If you do not have it there, you will never have brake lights. The power feed to the brake lights is not through the ignition switch, as I recall... but try it with key on just to be sure.

Keith,

If you have a manual, the description, picture, and trouble shooting guide are on pages 10-56 thru 10-59. I apparently didn't describe it well in the previous post. These cars have a tendency to break or stretch the rod that goes from the wheel hub, down through the column, to the switch mounted on the lower part of the column - especially on tilt-wheel equipped cars. If you have a shop manual, you're in good hands. That's the best info you can get. When I was browsing the contents, I read in section 10-47 (pg. 10-55) section e. <span style="font-weight: bold">Directional Signal Lamp Circuit </span> that there is a separate "DIR SIG" fuse on the fuse block. It appears that it would be a different fuse than the brake light fuse. If possible, try to find one of these switches that's not mounted on the column so you can look at it while you're operating it and see how the thing aligns in three different ways for the three different operations: no turn signal, right turn signal,and left turn signal. It's a matter of sliding the correct contacts in line with each other for each operation. Stick with it; there's no greater feeling that being able to say "I did it myself."

Ed

• 7 years later...
Guest Dantana

Guys I am still unable to get my tail lights to work. Brake lights work, driver side turn signal works(The cable is OK I suspect the switch is bad) But my question is whether the headlight switch could be the culprit on the non working tail lights. I have a chassis manual but I cannot find much more than general info on the taillights in 10-52. Thank you

We have had brake light issues on my Son's 63 as well. Alini is right the key has to be on. On our car the lights work much better if the car is running (more boost). I converted to a Dual M/C and moved the hyd. switch. You had to really be on the brakes hard to get the lamp to light. I bought a Lo-pressure brake lamp switch from Jegs, it has made our brake lamp issue much better. Hope this helps.

Tim