Decode this trim tag

BadgerRivFan

Al,

63-4747 - 1963 Riviera

11A - Built 1st week of Nov. '62

FB6162 - Production sequence number 6,162

788 J2 - Black Leather (Although 788 is the code for black leather, I think the J2 is also a reference to leather. See what Jim thinks.

SS - Bronze metallic paint

D - Radio

I6 - Tinted glass

N2 - A/C

S - Remote mirror

U8 - power windows

Z4 - Auto trunk release

The accessory codes for '63 Rivs are not on the website, I took these from the window sticker for my '63. The codes on the website are good for 64 and 65 only. There's a small disclaimer right below the illustration of a data plate that states these codes became effective 11-22-63. The paint and interior codes are the same for all three years though.

Remember, these are only option that required Fisher Body to make alterations to the body for their installation. Other options such as cornering lights, cruise, etc. didn't require alterations to the body.

Ed

Guest Riviera66

J2 is the code for 4-way Power seats (hence it's placement by the seat/ interior code plus it saves space below for other options.)

That still leaves "X" as 'unknown'. As I look through the sales codes, X1 and X2 are guidematic and twilight sentinel. But those are two options I wouldn't expect to be impacted by Fisher on first glance. That is, unless Fisher installed the dimmer switch ... in which case they'd need to install a Guidematic dimmer button and that would justify placement on the Fisher tag. No doubt Tom can confirm the "X" code.

Darwin Falk

ROA#2077

Al,

I just returned home from a disappointing outing to watch our last place Royals lose to the Indians.

I've since looked at the trim tag on my '63 and compared it to the window sticker.

I have both the X1 and X2 options on my car but only a single X on the data plate.

My window sticker shows both U6 - Power Vents, and U7 - Power Windows, but the data plate has a U8 on it; I'm assuming that U8 is the code for the combination.

Darwin,

My question for you is what did Fisher body need to do to the body for a radio. The pictures that Al posted show what appears to be an AM/Wonderbar radio. I know that there's a foot activation button under brake pedal for that and Fisher might need to do something for that, but what other "mods" would be necessary for a standard AM or AM/FM radio? Just the wire running to the back and holes for the speaker? Thanks,

Al, looks like a nice car. Something else in your stable? What other options does it have besides what's on the data plate?

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both the X1 and X2 options on my car but only a single X on the data plate.

My window sticker shows both U6 - Power Vents, and U7 - Power Windows, but the data plate has a U8 on it; I'm assuming that U8 is the code for the combination.

Darwin,

My question for you is what did Fisher body need to do to the body for a radio. The pictures that Al posted show what appears to be an AM/Wonderbar radio. I know that there's a foot activation button under brake pedal for that and Fisher might need to do something for that, but what other "mods" would be necessary for a standard AM or AM/FM radio? Just the wire running to the back and holes for the speaker? Thanks,

Al, looks like a nice car. Something else in your stable? What other options does it have besides what's on the data plate? </div></div>

Well, I can't conceive how twilight would possibly show on the data plate... the entire instrument cluster, steering column, and instrument wiring wouldn't yet have been in place at Fisher. I considered Guidematic to be similarly questionable...until I thought about that dimmer switch (and maybe the power relay)'; that was potentially installable by Fisher prior to putting down the carpet. That would cause a need for a code. Yes, U8 is the sales code for ordering U6+U7.. a way to shorten the # of codes embossed. A '63 is unique in that a radio forced a rear speaker... so the install of the rear speaker is what the radio code is about. Starting in '64, you get a code if the rear speaker option was ordered...not the radio.

Darwin Falk

ROA#2077

Al-

This is a beautiful car. Do you own it?

It is also a bit of an enigma. The data plate calls for BLACK leather (788) but the entire interior color scheme (seats, doors, carpet, console, steering wheel) are done in SADDLE (798) colors. It would have been a MAJOR job to go into this car and swap out all the original black interior with saddle, so I'm pretty sure it came this way from the factory. I wonder if it was ordered with Black interior and someone at Fisher Body misread the 788 as 798... so it was delivered in saddle? If so, Buick had an unhappy customer.

I don't know why Fisher needed to know the X code for the Guidematic, either, Darwin. Your hypothesis is reasonable.

BTW, this car was built the same week as my car (FB6473). My car has Saddle interior and I like it. I think it looks really classy.

Gentlemen:

This is not my car, but is one that I found for sale. I may be interested in purchasing it, as the price is very good. The seller indicates that it has been restored, and that the interior is new. I agree with you Jim that changing from black interior to saddle would be a big change. Not sure exactly why someone would do that, unless you think that saddle is a better combination with the bronze mist exterior. It does not belong to current ROA member, but was previously owned by one. The seller also indicates that the dash plaque "built expressly for.." is blank and does not have a name inscribed. Very interesting.

I'm also interested in the seat belts with the chrome buckle. Does this look right to you guys?

DSC05175.jpg

Al,

My '63 has what appears to be the same seat belts; I call them airplane harnesses because of the way the entire front of the buckle is lifted to release the latch.

I'm wondering, did the owner put the foot pedal in with the wonderbar? If so, that's what I call real dedication for an AM radio.

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tim63riv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

What is with the 2 odometer reset knobs under the dash? Al, is this your next purchase? Looks like a very nice Riviera!

Tim </div></div>

Well spotted, Tim! You get the eagle eye award today!

The knob on the right is the odometer reset knob.

The knob on the left is the Twilight Sentinel manual over-ride switch. It allows you to turn the headlights off when the photo-electric cell wants to turn them on (in a tunnel, for example, where they do not want any headlights on). It is mounted into the center of the left access hole cover.

I did not see the photo-electric cell on the dash pad, but it might be hiding behind the Guidematic "head". Or someone might have recovered the dash and left the little eye off.

Something for you to ask about, Al.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadgerRivFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<snip>

The seller indicates that it has been restored, and that the interior is new. I agree with you Jim that changing from black interior to saddle would be a big change. Not sure exactly why someone would do that, unless you think that saddle is a better combination with the bronze mist exterior.

<snip>

</div></div>

Al-

Now that I look at the interior photo of the car more carefully... the knob on the end of the turn signal lever is black, as it would be if the car left the factory with black interior. Fisher Body did not screw up, someone spent a lot of effort changing the interior to Saddle and missed this one little detail. That does not really diminish the value of the car unless you are inclined to strictly match all the details on the data plate.

If you go look at the similar photo of my car on Buick Street (link at bottom of my signature) you will see my turn and tilt knobs are light brown. You will also see in that photo the original Saddle leather with the mottled look. It is not all uniform color like what you get today.

BTW, I blew up your photo of the inside of the car and I think I do now see the little photo-electric cell in front of the Guidematic head. There is a second small glare up there. So that means this car has yet another rare option (and if it works, more useful than the Guidematic).

Guest Riviera66

Well, the turn signal lever would be Buick installed, not Fisher... but good catch to note a 'sign' of a likely interior alteration.

Darwin Falk

ROA#2077

Jim,

Thanks for the follow up! I never knew there was an override feature, but it makes sense! Good catch on the turn signal levers, I wouldn't have noticed that! He must have changed the steering wheel out, too. Still a very nice, highly optioned car! Al, where are you gong to put it?

Tim

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a '63 Riv with a 748J2 trim code. The car is white with black leather interior (looks completely original) but some sources I read say 748 is for white leather interior? Can someone confirm this? Thanks.