1965 Riv rear seat belt installation???

srr60

Just got my 65 Riv and my wife demands rear belts if my son is going to cruise in it. I've removed the rear seat bottom but don't see any predrilled holes. Any suggestions for installation? I don't see anything in the body or chassis manuals. Thanks in advance!

'65 401 stock 70,800 miles

Austin TX

Appreciate it. This is interesting. I'd looked in my 65 chassis manual copy but it does not include that page. It only goes up to page 11-148. It's a complete 1964 publication that says it covers the 65 Riv among other models. Odd.

Rhett Robinson

Austin TX

Rhett,

I wouldn't go by page number from year to year; I can't cross reference my '63 and '64 manuals by page. Try looking in the same section - Accessories - and go through it page by page.

IF, and it's a big IF because I'm not sure, all 65's came standard with rear seat belts, this page wouldn't be in the '65 chassis manual. In '64 rear seat belts were an option. The chassis manual probably covers this if you want the rear seat belts installed as a "dealer option." IMHO confused.gif

Ed

SsnakeOyl seatbelts in Tyler TX has a wide selection of new belts and can do restoration as well. I got two back belt sets for $40 plus shipping. Ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Wednesday. You should check out the website.

• 3 years later...

hey there, could anyone please post some pics of their rear 3 point (lap/sash) seatbelt setup?

here's a theoretical approach I'm thinking of

i-3207-install.gif

based on a pic I saw, the retractor could perhaps be mounted inside the rear passenger's armrest

then have the shoulder sash guide up just inside the door frame

I'll do some hunting, but would anyone just happen to have a photo of the rear interior of a 65 with all the trim removed?

just curious about the likelihood/safety of an anchor point hidden in the rear armrests...

Edited by whitewatersky
extra question (see edit history)

Since I bought my '63 back in '82 and joined the ROA in '85, I can't recall ever seeing any 1st generation Riviera that had a three point harness. All that I've ever seen have the two point lap belt.

What are your other Aussie buddies doing about this? Only what was originally supplied is mandatory as far as I know for cars here in the U.S. No grandfather clause???

Ed

hey there, could anyone please post some pics of their rear 3 point (lap/sash) seatbelt setup?

here's a theoretical approach I'm thinking of

i-3207-install.gif

based on a pic I saw, the retractor could perhaps be mounted inside the rear passenger's armrest

then have the shoulder sash guide up just inside the door frame

I'll do some hunting, but would anyone just happen to have a photo of the rear interior of a 65 with all the trim removed?

just curious about the likelihood/safety of an anchor point hidden in the rear armrests...

You will not find a strong anchor point in or behind the arm rest.

You will have to add a lot of structural reinforcement to create one. Unless you do, you are wasting your time and creating a death trap. You are better off with a secure lap belt than you are with a 3-point that pulls loose on impact.

You must modify the seat back to lock back if you use a shoulder harness.

I have seen seats with integral 3-points from a 2-door car installed in a first-generation Riv. With carefully chosen and designed interior, it looks like original.

Here is an album with a few pix of one example.

ImageShack Album - 6 images

That should give you an idea.

Unclear to me if you are looking for an application for the front seats or the rear seats. If you are looking for infomation on the installation for the front seats, Wayne Robson, #7784 of Christchurch, NZ had a two page article in the July/August 2002 Riview, Vol. 18, No. 5, complete with pictures. Copies of the article would be available from Tom Mooney, #56, mooney.thomas@sbcglobal.net. Ordering information is available on the ROA web site.

Jim,

Do you know what car the seats came from in the pictures you posted?

Thanks,

Ed

From Jeff Hayes:

"From a mid-90's BMW 8-series coupe. which were expensive and rare cars, so finding seats from a wrecked one was nearly impossible. There are other options for seats with built-in belts, but I liked the look of these best so I scoured yards across the country by phone until I found them. One other choice is Chrysler Sebring convertible seats, but I don't think their shape is as appropriate for the Riv. Still, they're a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to find."

• 3 weeks later...

THEY'RE IN ! ! ! ! !

DSC09554.jpg

DSC09553.jpg

DSC09556.jpg

DSC09557.jpg

fits in nicely with the retractor behind the armrest, but the gap is a little too snug, meaning they don't retract without a little bit of help.

I'll look at perhaps adjusting the bracket into which the screws fit so that the gap is a little bigger. only needs a millimetre or two to flow more freely.

I'll put the back belts in place once I have the seats in, as they'll get grubby on the floor as it is right now.

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180069[/ATTACH]

here's the page from the manual - seems to have disappeared up above in the thread....

be careful identifying the dimples before drilling - someone posted somewhere about mistaking some other marks for the dimples and now gets a lotta water in thru the floor.

my last 2 fotos above are of the support i had put in there for the baby seat anchor point

another thing about the retractors, mine would retract better if I had shortened the belt before installation. because the pivot point is lower than its normal position way up at shoulder height, there is too much belt rolled up when the belt is latched.

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

• 6 years later...

Hello everybody,

Is there any chance images or Rivnut’s .pdf of the correct dimples for the rear seat belt install could be re-uploaded? I also am being mandated by wifey to install rear seat belts. 

I’ve pulled out the bottom rear seats and I see dimples. ( First victory )

For the two inboard (for lack of a better term) belts locations, there are two dimples in the floor pan. One directly above the other. I was wondering which is the correct to use - the upper or lower dimple. Later in this post Whitewatersky mentions possible water leakage if the wrong ones are used. 

For the two outboard dimples, I see one not on the floor pan but on the rear wheel well. That seems sketchy. I can imagine a lot of water leakage potential there. Are those wheel well dimples what people are using or is anyone just creating a new spot comparable in location to its inboard counterpart on the floor pan? That’s what I’m more inclined to do. See attached photos. 

Thank you, first post, love the info and great camaraderie I’m seeing here. Excited to be a part of the Rivy culture. 

1964 / 425 / No frills  

4600C20F-AB5B-47AC-8365-37ED6DA3D881.jpeg

BFD54F8A-7627-41E7-A341-D5CCBEA62470.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Siddy Fo said:

Hello everybody,

Is there any chance images or Rivnut’s .pdf of the correct dimples for the rear seat belt install could be re-uploaded? I also am being mandated by wifey to install rear seat belts. 

For the two inboard (for lack of a better term) belts locations, there are two dimples in the floor pan. One directly above the other. I was wondering which is the correct to use - the upper or lower dimple. Later in this post Whitewatersky mentions possible water leakage if the wrong ones are used. 

For the two outboard dimples, I see one not on the floor pan but on the rear wheel well. That seems sketchy. I can imagine a lot of water leakage potential there. Are those wheel well dimples what people are using or is anyone just creating a new spot comparable in location to its inboard counterpart on the floor pan? That’s what I’m more inclined to do. See attached photos. 

Thank you, first post, love the info and great camaraderie I’m seeing here. Excited to be a part of the Rivy culture. 

1964 / 425 / No frills  

This is what we put in place in my ‘63. 

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

Ask and ye shall receive.

232721119_Seatbeltholelocation.thumb.JPG.7f3987cd7c37e8dc8f3f277703c07c9f.JPG

To secure the belts, I used these mounting plates from Wesco.  Tack weld them to the floor pan.  Seal them with some caulk and you won't have any leakage.  What you posted above about leakage is the first I've ever heard of a problem.

Mounting Plate #102 ( #10154 )

7/16" SAE fine thread. This mounting plate must be used for applications where no factory anchor pointshave been established. This plate is to be installed on the underside of the floor board or inside the door post. Outside dimensions: 13/16" x 3" Price includes 1 piece. 

And some of their bolts.  These are black and are okay under the seats.  There are chrome plated ones available.  The shoulder between the head and the threads allows for some movement.

Shoulder Bolt

These from Inline Tube look closest to the originals.

Image result for 7/16" fine thread seat belt bolts

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Excellent!! Thanks RivNut, you da man. Those images aren’t in my chassis or body manuals, either. 

Swede, thank you for the link and great photos of your three point belt install. That will be a great safety system. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2019 at 2:18 AM, Siddy Fo said:

Hello everybody,

1964 / 425 / No frills  

Can you are some one send me pics of where the rear seat brackets on the floor and the brackets for the seat back goes?