How to display a coupe roadster at a Concours d'Elegance

tbirdman

I've been invited to and have accepted the invite to display my 1932 903 Coupe Roadster at the Kirkland Concours this September. Unlike most shows I've been in, this is a purely judged on the elegance of the cars as were the original Conccours d'Elegance of the 1920s. No judging will be done on engine compartments. In fact engine compartments and trunks must be kept closed. It is not a "technical corectness" concours.

So to best show my car I was planning to show it with the top down. My question is in regards to the rumble seat. Does showing it open take away from the elegance and should I leave it shut?

West...I don't have the time laugh.gif to remove all of the lights and switch to blackwall tires

[quote=tbirdman

West...I don't have the time laugh.gif to remove all of the lights and switch to blackwall tires

As a veteran concours judge for more than 20 years, I suggest closing the rumble lid.

Top up or down in the case of a coupe-roadster; either way looks good. Most four-door open cars look better with the top up. Arguably, a convertible victoria looks better with the top up as well.

(If you are showing a Jaguar XK120/140 at a concours with "French-style" rules, and you decide to show it with the top up, go into the show assuming that you will not get an award!!!)

Guest imported_Speedster

I think he's saying European Drop-top cars need to be shown with the top Droped, to be better accepted when judged. I've noticed that also.

Well I think I have concluded that top down and rumble seat closed. Though as West says it looks good either way. I think it is more Elegant withthe top up and more sporty with the top down. I guess I just need to hope for a sporty judge:-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

Are you saying that the Jaguar XK120/140 doesn't look half as good as a car with the top up vs. down? </div></div>

I've never seen a car go from pure, raw sexy to pure butt-ugly so fast as when the top goes up on one of those Jaguars. I still want one, though. laugh.gif I'm purely talking about the 120/140 roadsters... the convertible coupes aren't quite so bad looking with the top up.

My personal preference would be for a 120/140 coupe with disc wheels, black tires and fender skirts (spats).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

Are you saying that the Jaguar XK120/140 doesn't look half as good as a car with the top up vs. down? </div></div>

I've never seen a car go from pure, raw sexy to pure butt-ugly so fast as when the top goes up on one of those Jaguars. I still want one, though. laugh.gif I'm purely talking about the 120/140 roadsters... the convertible coupes aren't quite so bad looking with the top up.

My personal preference would be for a 120/140 coupe with disc wheels, black tires and fender skirts (spats). </div></div>

There isn't a bigger disparity in appearance then a 120/140 OTS with the top up vs. down.

Many conv look better with the tops up, especially conv sedans and victorias. I too am a fan of blackwalls and no trippe lights.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John_Lawrence

Top up or down probably depends on the specific car show. Some want the top up for judging. You may want to check with the show. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

What a weekend. The Kirkland Concours organizers really knows how to treat the participants. Too much to write about but a great event from the gala the night before to the actual Concours the next day. Everywhere you looked there was a great car. I did not take home an award, but was just happy to be in the presence of some great cars. A beautiful Speedster took first in my class.

The 2008 Pebble Beach Best of Show Winner, a 1938 Alfa Romeo and also a 2008 Best of Show nominee 1935 Hispano Suiza were there. The Alfa took best of show honors.

Some of my favorites are here.

speedster.jpg

kirk1.jpg

kirk2.jpg

kirk3.jpg

kirk4.jpg

kirk5.jpg