Is 40 feet good oil pressure?

old-tank

No, I don't mean 40 pounds. I fired up the 264 nailhead that is mounted in a 51 F-1 for the first time. Anyhow, I forgot to put on a gauge and oil shot 40 feet shocked.gif. Probably adequate.

Bill Stoneberg should have been here for "pay back".

Willie

Reminds me of the time I was working on a small push lawnmower with starter cord problems. Removed the shroud and the pull-start mechanism. The shroud included the dipstick/fill tube and kill switch mechanism.

The genius then fired up the mower with a cordless drill, it started and spewed oil 12 feet up the side of the house--and I couldn't kill it. After what felt like way too many seconds, I yanked the plug wire.

Rick

Pretty close to my ear full of gasoline. Dad and I were working on a 34 Olds it had some problems one of them being fuel delivery. The theory was if ya blew into the line at the pump and hear bubbles in the gas tank the problem is not with the line or tank--good theory....so we thought. As I listened to the tank by taking the cap off I could hear this changing pitch of noise just before a bunch of gas hit me in the ear, all down the car and garage floor. Guess the line was not blocked.

If you had waited and if I didn't have to go to Houston this wekend yu could have had your "payback".

BTW, payback for the time we were firing up my "new" Riviera with a 425 and 10.25 to 1 compression. The car had sat since 1980 and we were trying to get it to run. I had filled the cylinders WAYYYY to full of oil and ATF to soak the rings. We are talking a quart of each between 8 cylinders. Anyway Willie came to help and supervise and it was a good thing he was standing in front of the car, not on the sides. I turned the key for the first time with the plugs out and all 8 cylinders shot oil out. It looked like a Las Vegas Fountain. At least I knew I had good compression and the engine turned, After an hour of cleaning oil off the inner fenderwalls and the car that was sitting next to me, we got the car started. It filled the cul-de-sac with smoke and all the neighbors came out to look. It was a fun Saturday.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I had filled the cylinders WAYYYY to full of oil and ATF to soak the rings."</span>

Bill,

Must be a common fault with us Buicks guys.

A few years ago I picked up a 35 8/40 sedan that had been sitting in a shed for 30+ years.....so before I tried to turn it over I thought I'd do the right thing and soak the cylinders with Diesel.

I filled all of the eight cylinders to the plug hole and let it soak for a few days. I presumed it would eventually soak past the rings and into the sump.........<span style="font-style: italic">Note to self - never presume anything</span>.

I also put a brand new heavy duty battery so as to be able to turn the car over if still tight.

I then raised the right side hood and (with all the plugs still out of the engine)pulled the starter switch in the engine bay to see if it would turn over.....expecting it to be seized or tight after all those years...

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif <span style="font-weight: bold">Wow.......did that diesel spray!!!!</span>

Lucky I was standing to the rear of the engine bay as it would have blown me off my feet, the engine spun over like there was no tomorrow......and for those few seconds it sprayed a good 20ft and totally covered the end wall of my brand new 60ft X 30ft shed and all over the car next to it.

And for the record the engine obviously wasn't seized..in fact it was in excellent condition, just needed an oil change or should I say diesel change grin.gif