How do I clean the EGR valve?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I know some of you have taken off and cleaned your EGR valve.

I would like to know if you just clean the very bottom area for carbon buildup or if you actually take it apart to do a thorough cleaning job? If you do, what about the second gasket?

Where do you get that? Anyone know the gasket p/n's whether that be AC-Delco numbers, Fel-Pro or whatever?

Thanks, Kit 1990 Reatta

The middle gasket is not available. It is not intended to be taken apart that far. When you remove the screws they will mst likely break. I drilled them out and bought new ones from the hardware store. Mine was throwing codes. I cleaned it up and it still holding strong with no codes.

Guest EDBSO

I wrote an incredibly good detailed EGR cleaning post but the effing search engine freaking sucks big time and that is on a good day!

Someone keeps screwing with the freaking data base and <span style="text-decoration: underline">none </span>of the links or search engines work, all are <span style="text-decoration: underline">totally effed big time</span>.

Now do you really want to know what I think of it???

I have written a couple of detailed reviews but can't find poopoo(NO I DID NOT WRITE "poopoo" I wrote "poopoo"!) on the search engine.

I remember it too, Edbso, but it wasn't in as much descriptive color as the above post. I find the search engine a bit clumsytoo.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Update:

I believe I was successful at cleaning up the EGR.

I took it fully apart and cleaned it real good. smile.gif

However, being as I couldnt find a replacement for the UPPER

gasket, I had to re-use it. Now for the bad news......

It leaks very badly and the idle is now 1600 rpm and it wont go down. frown.gif

I'm currently working on trying to find someone who has it.

Any suggestions on where I might find this gasket?

Kit / 90 Reatta

Guest EDBSO

Thanks.

I think that this forum is a fine example of the Peter Principle. It has been improved to the point where few of the links work and the search engine was designed by a committee and barely functions. We all know that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Guest Kitskaboodle

It is made out of metal and asbestos, sandwiched together.

I already thought of the generic asbestos "make an EGR gasket"

sheets you can buy but they are not steel reinforced so I'm not sure they would work.

I have sent emails this morning to Tomco and Cardone. Hopefully they will help me out although they might not because I'm Joe Public and not a "jobber" or distributor of their products. frown.gif

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks, Kit

Guest EDBSO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

OH ,,,,,, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW MY FRIEND smile.gif </div></div> Thanks, yes it comes around every year.

To find the gaskets I just walked through the menu.

Domestic cars, 1989, Buick, Reatta, then Fuel/Emissions, then Emissions & EGR Valves and they are all at the bottom.

OK....was trying to locate under exhaust....wrong .... found under emmissions.

Problem though...are the ones that are pictured, and the part number Charlie provided for the base or mounting gasket?

If I am reading the post correctly, the gasket Kitskaboodle may be looking for is a section gasket, or a gasket positioned in the body ("Upper")of the EGR valve ?????

Guest Kitskaboodle

Sorry...NONE of those gaskets is correct.

The gasket I need looks very much like the

shape of a Norelco triple-head razor. A triangle

with a big hole at each end of the triangle.

I'm off to the local dealer this morning at 10:00

He is trying to order me two..he says they're still

available. I'll check on that p/n (25535027) We'll see what the parts guy has to say....

In further news I sent Rochester Products an email also but no reply yet....

Thanks all.....Kit smile.gif

Guest Drake

I was able to purchase a new EGR valve on ebay for $139.99 + $10.00 shipping (1 year warranty). Took it to my friend at the Buick dealer. Compared to his Delco (both identical). His was stamped Delco, mine Mexico. Also, his had a paper pull off tag that said Made in Mexico.(?????) Dealer price was north of $295.00. My EGR valve did not come with a mounting gasket ($4.50) from the dealer. The EGR valve fits 88 thru 90 Reattas.

If anyone is interested, invent4ever superstore.

What's your time worth?

Forgot to mention: installed seven months ago, No Problems.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I checked GMpartsdirect.com and that number is for a pack of 5 but unfortunately there is no pic and I doubt it's the correct one since it's only $1.48 for all 5! frown.gif

Oh, and my dealer trip yielded nothing. frown.gif

OK...I'm down but not out.

I havent given up yet!

I'm still waiting on Rochester Products....

Thanks everyone for trying to help...

Kit / 90 Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kitskaboodle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:

I believe I was successful at cleaning up the EGR.

I took it fully apart and cleaned it real good. smile.gif

However, being as I couldnt find a replacement for the UPPER

gasket, I had to re-use it. Now for the bad news......

It leaks very badly and the idle is now 1600 rpm and it wont go down. frown.gif

I'm currently working on trying to find someone who has it.

Any suggestions on where I might find this gasket?

Kit / 90 Reatta </div></div>

According to the above post the search was originally for the "upper" gasket for the EGR. Now it seems the thread has turned into a search for the <span style="text-decoration: underline">base</span> gasket as is indicated by CHAS1 offering part numbers of the gasket he used to install a new EGR valve.

Which gasket is really needed? It doesn't appear everyone is on the same page here.

Guest wayne2reattas

I bought an EGR valve on e-bay. It was new the cost was $85 + 11.50 shipping. Its been on for about 6,000 miles now. No problems. It was stamped GM. Bought it from alanisdeals. It was shipped from AD Auto Parts, Ontario , Calif. The phone number is 909-724-4397. Had to get the gasket at Pep Boys $5.00. thought it was a pretty good deal considering local parts houses wanted $155 to $240 for a new one.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Thanks for the tip!

I went ahead and ordered one from the Alanisdeals guy.

Should come in early next week.

I never did find anyone with a gasket.

I guess that's the way the auto parts industry want it, eh?

Why sell you a $5.00 gasket when they can force you to buy

a whole new unit? America...what a country! frown.gif

Kit

I have put close to 25k on mine since I took it apart. It has the original gasket. I buttered it up with Permatex Red RTV before assembly. Like I said in the second post. This gasket is not available and the EGR valve is not intended to be disassembled. I spent 2.50 on new screws/bolts and 3.50 for a tube of Permatex Red RTV. I hope the new one clears the codes for you.