'34 1101 Phaeton Tubing ???

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

My first guess was a TV antenna but it could be for radio. (Since it appears to be mounted in plastic insulator tubes and appears to have an rf-cable attached)

An antenna could have been made so much simpler than that, tho.

Looks like the description says it is "..the original factory radio with the original antenna mounted under the passenger running board that still works..."

Perhaps the seller is watching this forum, Rick.

Guest imported_Speedster

Wow, I don't think that was there when I first looked at it, but I hadn't had my coffee yet ! smile.gif

A '34 open with original '30s style radio-control-panel must be Very Rare! shocked.gif

I doubt that antenna was Factory installed, tho. wink.gif The pvc-tubing-insulator and coax-cable look much too new.

I was curious about a few things on that car. First, it says it has a tach, but I didn't see one on the dash. Were they even available on Packards?

PP49.jpg

Is this the oil pump?

PP81.jpg

Is this cannister under the left rear of the car a vacuum reservoir for the brakes?

PP112.jpg

What a beautiful car. I have a kidney for sale, if anyone's looking... laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was curious about a few things on that car. First, it says it has a tach, but I didn't see one on the dash. Were they even available on Packards? </div></div>

I don't know about 1934, but a tach was available in 1930, or at least it was on the speedster series. It was NOT an in-dash unit, however. It mounted to the steering column. I've only seen a couple.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What a beautiful car. laugh.gif </div></div>

Yes, it is a beautiful car grin.gif,

but I'm not fond of the Circus-wagon Orange color, on a '34. smirk.gif

The oil pump (on bottom) and fuel pump (on top) are one assembly, in lower right of pic.

The oil cooler is the large green assembly in upper left of pic.

Though a lovely and desireable car, there are several things that strike me as incorrect, based on over 40 years of familiarity with many 1934 Packards. (1) the radio head is not a 1934 Packard factory radio head. (2) The wood grain on the dash in incorrect, should be a burl grain. (3) the oil filter is most obviously incorrect, it should be a Purolator L-6, though an L-8 with adapter plates on each end is virtually indistinguishable. Of course correct-appearing filter housings with modern filters inside are readily available for several sources. The brake selector switch appears to be chrome plated but should be nickel plated, ditto for the oil filler cap. In fact all the plated engine trim should be nickel. Closed car antennas were below the roof batting, and open cars were under the running board, but at least parts of that antenna appear to be modern adaptations.

None of this is offered to belittle the car, I'd love to own it. It's just that if we let these things pass unnoted, others may view them as correct and perpetuate the error.

Well since we are picking the car apart... shocked.gif

Take these with a grain of salt since I know 32s better...

The fuel lines should be nickle plated. Though for these cars, I'm told PI judging accepts chrome plating.

Back window looks incorrect.

Missing the screens for the horns though not sure which way was factory stock.

Crankcase breather on backwards

Seat pattern is wrong.

Should have dual coils on top of engine head. Have coil mounted on side of engine block.

Door panels need to have insert panels and not the just the pattern sewn on the leather.

Water jacket bolts need to be painted.

Also the clock time is incorrect crazy.gif

window.jpg

breather.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Man, Just a piece of Junk Isn't it. blush.gif

I Always did Love that kinda 'Junk', tho. laugh.gif

and wish I had More of 'em. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which one owns the car>>>>>>> Barnum or Baily speedster>>>>????? </div></div>

grin.gif LOL grin.gif My guess is B&B's Circus 'Clowns' grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O man I won't post pictures of my car anymore smile.gif. Na I will because I know my car is going to be a nice looking driver. smile.gif </div></div>

Tom,

Just don't use wood grained contact paper for the dash and we'll leave you alone laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, Just a piece of Junk Isn't it. blush.gif

I Always did Love that kinda 'Junk', tho. laugh.gif

and wish I had More of 'em. wink.gif </div></div>

However show me a 30's Buick or a Cadillac and I couldn't tell you what is right and what is wrong. Though the 30 Lasalle at the show I recently competed against had a bunch of polish stainless steel bolts which I know isn't correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom,

Just don't use wood grained contact paper for the dash and we'll leave you alone laugh.gif</div></div>No worries I have a good friend here that offered to help me out with doing it the right way wink.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct Wes. It's a Touring, not a Phaeton. Entirely different bodies, entirely different top irons and bows. Phaeton sounds more expensive I suppose. </div></div>

Absolutely more expensive if it were a phaeton. I'd have to guess that the only reason a seller would misidentify a car is so that the novice will go to the value guide and look at values for phaetons rather than tourings. There is a super-big difference in values, because there is much more desirability for a phaeton. The phaeton is a much more sexy-looking body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct Wes. It's a Touring, not a Phaeton. Entirely different bodies, entirely different top irons and bows. Phaeton sounds more expensive I suppose. </div></div>

Absolutely more expensive if it were a phaeton. I'd have to guess that the only reason a seller would misidentify a car is so that the novice will go to the value guide and look at values for phaetons rather than tourings. There is a super-big difference in values, because there is much more desirability for a phaeton. The phaeton is a much more sexy-looking body. </div></div>

I wonder what the reseve is? Per the NADA giudes which I find more realistic, the high retail is $238K for a Phaeton and for a Touring it is $316K. Obviously a mistake. I would think the reserve would be in the 175K area.

I found it interesting that the seller states that the wood graining is correct in his description of the car when in fact it stood out like a sore thumb.

However I would buy it at the current bid of 82K and live with "all" of these problems. laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, tough crowd. When it's in my garage, I'll keep it under cover! laugh.gif </div></div>

Yep life would be tough having an ugly Packard in your garage crazy.gif

One of these days I'll take mine to a Packard meet to see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken

Do I still get to ride with you on the Glidden Tour next year? </div></div>

How and when do you sign up for that tour? I suppose the 12 Cadillac be the car to take on that tour. You are more then welcome to ride with me.

By the way, I just decided to go to Hershey this year. I'll be there either Thursday or Friday and maybe for the show on Sat. I'll be staying with a friend about 90 mintes away in West Chester.

I don't think sign-ups start until AFTER the current year Glidden. In fact, I think that if you are on the Glidden, you get an application for the next year's tour before anyone else. I could be wrong and will check into that.

However, if you know the right person and offer to lend him a certain Packard, your chances could improve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think sign-ups start until AFTER the current year Glidden. In fact, I think that if you are on the Glidden, you get an application for the next year's tour before anyone else. I could be wrong and will check into that.

However, if you know the right person and offer to lend him a certain Packard, your chances could improve. </div></div>

For some reason I keep seeing scenes from the "Godfather" flashing throuh my mind laugh.gif

What is more appropiate for the Glidden, the 12 Cad or 32 Packard? Which would you take if you were in my shoes?

Glidden Tours are set up so that you go at your own pace. The folks driving in modern vehicles, such as your Packard, tend to "sleep in", while the older vehicle driver's are usually up and out of the hotel much earlier in order to be at the right place at the right time. I know that the people who take the pre-teen cars have an awful lot of fun, and they usually travel in packs. I like to get up and out early anyway, because I like to stop along the way if I see something that looks interesting.

So, you take the Cadillac, I'll take the Packard. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glidden Tours are set up so that you go at your own pace. The folks driving in modern vehicles, such as your Packard, tend to "sleep in", while the older vehicle driver's are usually up and out of the hotel much earlier in order to be at the right place at the right time. I know that the people who take the pre-teen cars have an awful lot of fun, and they usually travel in packs. I like to get up and out early anyway, because I like to stop along the way if I see something that looks interesting.

So, you take the Cadillac, I'll take the Packard. smile.gif </div></div>

West,

We might be able to work something out...unless you want to stretch out on the back seat of the Cadillac. laugh.gif

We have made many sets of top irons for Packard Tourings and Phaetons over the years. People (even Packard people) sometimes do not know that there is a difference, assuming any 4 door open car without roll up windows to be a phaeton. Wishful thinking at its best. If it has jump seats it's a touring.