Cruise control 90 coupe

Guest daveagain909

Guest weewilly

The cruise control on my car has startied acting up during my last trip to florida. The cruise was working fine then all of a sudden the car started slowing down but all indications were that the cruise control was still engaged, just not telling the car to accelerate. I then turned off and back on cruise and all was ok for another 10 miles. Then did the same thing again. reset again and was ok for remainder of trip (230 miles), then yesterday dring a small trip it did it again. again finishing trip working fine. Does anyone have any Idea what needs to be done? My car has 102k miles and runs fine with only a few problems like this.

Very good chance you have dry rotted (could be melted as well) vacuum lines, and or a servo going south. Lines are easy....run from the battery side of the firewall, below and around the front of the Teeves, and then to the servo.....and I think one may go to a tank (forget). Anyway....just perform a visual on the lines - self evident. You may need to replace the servo as well....none of it is expensive ... Jim at jfinn@cpinternet will have the servo.

Had that issue for quite a while but finally visited the local recycling center and found a servo in nice shape. Works fine now. Probably mine just needed cleaning/lubrication but for $8...

The servo is directly below the hose that goes from the air filter box to the engine.

I replaced my hoses today. They all were all dryrotted. I however broke the fitting that is on the round vaccum cannister. I put a plug in the vaccum tube end that goes to that cannister. The cruise works good. If I have time tomorrow I will get a good one from the bone yard before I leave for Flint. If I don't will I have issues with the cruise?

Question above is moot. I got to the u-pull yard and got the replacement cannister. ALL the air lines were dryrottede. They looked good [i could still read the print on the lines]. Everything replaced and the cruise works great!

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise worked good for awhile then would release on its own and then not always engage when I pushed the set cruise button in. As I stated before, I replaced hoses and thought problem was fixed. I was wrong. On the third replacement from the junkyard I got one that worked.

So far so good!

Dave, does the cruise light stay on when the cruise stops working?

If the light stays on it is probably a problem with the servo not getting enough vacuum.

If the light goes off something is giving the signal to the computer to disengage the cruise. It could be a defective or out of adjustment switch on the brake pedal.

The switch on the brake pedal can also be a problem.

As cars get older.. things wear. The brake pivot and rubber bumper stops can change and the brake switch setting may be just on the edge of being set correctly. When you hit a bump or big dip, it is enough to move the pedal and disengage the cruise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the light goes off something is giving the signal to the computer to disengage the cruise. It could be a defective or out of adjustment switch on the brake pedal.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The switch on the brake pedal can also be a problem.

As cars get older.. things wear. The brake pivot and rubber bumper stops can change and the brake switch setting may be just on the edge of being set correctly. When you hit a bump or big dip, it is enough to move the pedal and disengage the cruise. </div></div>

Thanks Barney for so eloquently repeating what I said in my last post. smile.gif

It was the servo. The original servo would work electrically but not the vaccum. When I was in Flint Manik brought one from home that didn't work electrically as the codes would trip. When I put the original one back in to get home, it would not trip the codes, but it also only worked sporadicly on the vaccum[this after replacing all the hoses]. So I went to the u-pull yard only to get one that didn't work at all on the vaccum side. I went back and this time took it off a Park Avenue and it works fine. It locks in the cruise, it accelerates,coasts, and resets to a different speed and never pulls off on its own.

I did not look to see if they could be taken apart and cleaned. I guess if Padgett felt that $8.00 was not to much to pay then that was good enough for me as well.

Guest weewilly

Yes, the light stays on telling me it is functioning. I looked at my hoses and they are quite worn, black comes off when touching and the hose feels soft. I will go and get new vacumn hose and replace then try. Again the hose is the one comming out of fire wall then splitting behind air cleaner then going into plastic container under air filter.

Note this hose hs an od of about a1/4 inch . correct?

Dave