Shiny Chrome

tbirdman

Guest 51Patty400

Amazing what Photoshop can do ;-)

Just kidding. It's like a mirror. I hope mine comes out as nice.

- Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 51Patty400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing what Photoshop can do ;-)

Just kidding. It's like a mirror. I hope mine comes out as nice.

- Mark </div></div>

The reflection of the blue sky really shows off the chrome. Also I assume the camera help quite a bit though they were freshly chrome plated last year.

I'm shining up everything on the car this week for a small Concours locally, Forest Grove. I understand that the Forest Grove Concours committee is bringing in a Pebble Beach car, 34 V12 Phaeton, in my class minus the owner. It will be shown by someone else. So I figure to even come close to competing, I have to be spic and span. Anyway cleaning the car good once a year is not a bad think to do.

Just got done underneath the car last night. Thank goodness for a lift. Now I can lower the car and start cleaning the car. That's the neat thing about a lift. You can sit in a chair and wax the sides of the car. No, I'm not lazy, just efficient laugh.gif

Guest 1956Packard

I don't know Ken. Something doesn't look quite right there.

I think you should sell me your car (cheap).

Geoff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1956Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know Ken. Something doesn't look quite right there.

I think you should sell me your car (cheap).

Geoff </div></div>

Well I'm still waiting for that guy I quoted $500K to come back laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how did you make out at the show Birdman? </div></div>

The show is this weekend but the car is all ready for it although my thighs muscles are sore. I took off each wheel and cleaned the tire and the area behind it. To put the wheels back on I used the straddle the wheels between my thighs method to align the wheels to get the lugnuts started. I guess it was like a classic car thighmaster exercise. laugh.gif I think I need to get Speedster's alighnment bolt he made.

Turns out the 34 V12 did not compete as the owner could not find transportation to Portland and then back to Pebble Beach for a tour. However a very nice Lasalle showed up which was a fresh restoration with very little miles on it. The owner had recently moved here from California and the car had taken a first place in a National Cadillac Lasalle meet recently. I did win but I was told it was very close. For the three judges in our class, we had the head judge plus two judges who had been head judges previously so they were very experienced and thorough. The detected a fender radius that was skewed on the Lasalle. The owner had never had noticed but he lost point(s) for it. It was obvious once it was pointed out. I introduced him to a well recommended body man who was at the Concours as the owner wanted to get the problem fixed. It was funny as I went off to get recommendations from the Packard club members as I only knew of one guy. Came back to the car and the guy I was thinking of was standing about 20' from the Lasalle so I made the intros.

The Lasalle's stop light failed to work which didn't help it and would had been an easy fix. I had checked all of my lights as those are points you should never lose.

Unexpectedly this weekend I received a invite for the Kirkland Concours this Sept. It looks like a fun event looking at the quality of cars from the past awards.

I forgot to mention I did get a chuckle out of the crowd. When on the stage to accept the award, the presentor asked me how I acquired the car. I said I bought it from a "crook". Everyone laughed and then he said no seriously how did you acquire it. I explained that I bought it from "Tom Crook". I couldn't resist that opening the presentor gave to me. laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Man, you're 'Movin' in High cotton Now'! grin.gif

Congrats on the Win! grin.gif

I doubt if Tom would appreciate your joke? mad.giflaugh.gif LOL smile.gif

Ken,

Congrats on your win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They detected a fender radius that was skewed on the Lasalle. The owner had never had noticed but he lost point(s) for it. It was obvious once it was pointed out. </div></div>Wow they must have sharpe of an eye for that type of detail. smile.gif Ekkkk don't think mine will fit in with that crowd then smile.gifwink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken,

Congrats on your win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They detected a fender radius that was skewed on the Lasalle. The owner had never had noticed but he lost point(s) for it. It was obvious once it was pointed out. </div></div>Wow they must have sharpe of an eye for that type of detail. smile.gif Ekkkk don't think mine will fit in with that crowd then smile.gifwink.gif </div></div>

I was very surprised that the owner didn't notice it before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom Crook is one of the finer gentlemen in the Classic car sales field. He's been buying and selling forever it seems. No affiliation, etc. </div></div>

I hope everyone took it has a joke. I always have metioned it to people that he must be honest with a last name like that. laugh.gif He is very well respected here in the Northwest and always has a fine selection of cars. I do like the fact he owns everything he sells. Dealers that sell consigned cars always have less "skin in the game".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken,

Were they really that far off to notice? </div></div>

It was once it was pointed it out. For whatever reason I tend not to notice things like that. My eye always goes more to finishing details vs. alignment details. However if I had been doing the bodywork, I think I would had immediately picked it up.

The judges went back and forth between the two rear fenders quite a bit to make sure they were not unfairly docking the car points. The owner did say the car had accident damage before the restoration and this was the result of it. The body guy thinks he can fairly easy using heat to resahpe the fender. I was glad I was able to help the owner locate a reputable body man to fix it.

I also noticed he had polished SS bolts throughout the engine compartment. The owner me that was acceptable in his Cadillac/Lasalle judging circles because it was too hard to find cadmium plated hardware. I thought that was very incorrect and zinc plated (without bolt head markings) would have been more acceptable. In my experience last winter, it actually was not hard to find cadmium plated HW or have it done. I just don't know what judges really look at and I expect to varies from show to show but if I was a judge I would had taken off for it.

Guest superods

Hey Birdman remember when I told you to buy Celgene at 51 ? It is now 73 and will split again soon and split agan. Was voted a 5 star stock last week ...the highest a stock can go. I told you so. And I am telling you again. If a person had 10,000 shares and it went from 51 to 73 it still would not be enough to buy your nice Packard would it? Keep smiling and buy some Celgene and lets work a deal on that steering wheel darn it. I just got a 32 convertible that has a bunch of parts extra. There should be something else you want wih that speedo we could agree on.

Guest superods

You are so correct in your statement. One needs to temper the good deal with a great sale. Always remember a few things...secret to success is prior planning and one can do twice as much at half the cost.....and last but not least...patince is a virtue.

I'll send you a list of the things I have extra....may not get around to it for a while..we are in no hurry. Stay in touch.

Ken,

On another forum where I go for paint help there is this gent that went to a Concour's in Oregon and he stated there where some nice Packards at the show. So I showed him a picture of your car and here what he said <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yep. he won 1st place in the Packard class. He lives by me. He drives THAT car everywhere. It is INCREDIBLE!

The driving lamps turn with the steering, to "see around corners"

</div></div> So was that you?

He owns a 1962 Messerschmitt Kabine Roller 200. Have you seen it?

On another forum where I go for paint help there is this gent that went to a Concour's in Oregon and he stated there where some nice Packards at the show. So I showed him a picture of your car and here what he said <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yep. he won 1st place in the Packard class. He lives by me. He drives THAT car everywhere. It is INCREDIBLE!

The driving lamps turn with the steering, to "see around corners"

</div></div> So was that you?

He owns a 1962 Messerschmitt Kabine Roller 200. Have you seen it? </div></div>

I wonder where he lives. That is the second time I saw that car this year...definitely too small of a car for me, but cute. It is a two passenger car with the passenger sitting behind the driver.

Yes, that is my car he's talking about. I do drive my Packard quite a bit which surprises most people. I'm a firm believer that the fun of these cars is to drive them. Unfortunately I like to have cars in tip top shape which is tough if you drive them a lot. And the Pilot Rays do get everyone's attention.

• 3 weeks later...