Enclosed trailers

olympic

I'm looking for information on enclosed trailers to haul my 27 Franklin. One of the biggest manufacturers states that the opening height of the back door is 72 inches. The 27 is 73 inches tall and that is lower than most model Ts. Any suggestions other than letting the air out of my tyres! Dave

post-36270-143137986605_thumb.jpg

Contact Millenium Trailers in Indiana. That is where we got our car/camper trailer. They can custom build you a trailer.

Here is the link. http://www.milltrailers.com/

Oh, if you pick the trailer up yourself they can knock some off of the price since they don't have to pay someone like my step-son to deliver it to you.

This is the car/camper trailer that we got from them.

post-36313-143137986607_thumb.jpg

Dave,

I'm not sure what the opening is on my C&C, but it's the standard height for an 8.5' wide trailer and the series 10 Demi-Sedan fits, and I'm sure it's taller than your series 11. When my father ordered his Haulmark 7' wide trailer, we special ordered it taller to fit the demi.

Also, we bought the Haulmark from Cardinal Sales in Indiana. They were less than anyone else, and we picked up the trailer at the Haulmark factory in McAdoo, PA, the same as would have if we had purchased the trailer from the dealer here in NY. Very nice people.

http://cardinalsales.homestead.com/

Steve

I bought my Pace enclosed trailer from Trailers of the East Coast. It was made with about 1 foot extra heighth. I'm sure that you can order other trailers with with the height necessary to load your car.

As everyone stated, you can have a trailer built to whatever you need. I had a 9' tall trailer when I was hauling the Olds Limited around. Lots of guys have trailers that are taller than standard and this is no issue whatsoever. However, one piece of advice. Don't make the same mistake I have made in the past. Plan for almost every eventuality. Make sure you can haul other types of cars and that you really think about door placement, tie downs, (think about E-track for flexibility, etc.) There are lots of options when you have a trailer custom built for you. There are a lot of manufacturers in Indiana and if you are farther in the Midwest you might consider Jensen in Iowa. Good luck.

Guest VeloMan

I would suggest an aluminum trailer, Dave. They're strong, but lightweight. I got one custom-made from Worthington Trailers in Montoursville, PA (http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/default.aspx). It wasn't for car hauling, but they make that type, too. My trailer is about 7' tall with an aluminum frame and tarp cover to further reduce weight; it tows nicely. Just be sure the tie-downs are strong enough for your Franklin.

Best,

Phil Jamison

Guest imported_jmarsicano

If your looking for a used trailer, look through the sprint car/racing sections. Many of their trailers are built 1-2 foot over height.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The standard, off the shelf trailer height is 6'-8" tall. I have had HaulMark and Pace build me trailers in the past with extra height. My current trailer is a Pace which is two foot taller than normal; ie; 8'8" since I have a 1910 Chalmers Detroit touring that is 7'-8" tall with the top up and I like to trailer it with the top up since it is a two man top. But when you add extra height you need to put bubble on the front or incline the top so that it pulls better. That helps tremendously with the wind resistance problem.