My latest project

old-tank

Guest imported_MrEarl

That's cool!!! I think I've told you about the 51 F-1 I had that had the T-Bird engine in it and the stick in the floor. Had to turn the steering wheel about a half turn to have any affect on the direction you were traveling. What transmission are you mating up to it. What's the rear end ratio. Look forward to following your progress.

BTW I notice you didn't use the four letter word...just F-1 whistle.gif

Lamar

It is basically just going to be an engine swap (yeah right...). It will retain the original rear (3.92 gears), original tranny (4 speed granny with spur gears...meaning double clutching will take 1-2 sec on every shift), original brakes, steering and suspension. Biggest problem now is steering box interferance with the starter (even bought a mini-starter) and will need to be moved out and up, so now I need a good welder.

The 264 is the smallest nailhead, but will double my power...any more and upgrades to steering, suspension and brakes would be needed.

Mike

OK, the flathead is not sick...just an excuse to swap engines.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

So are you going into the house movin business? That baby could pull Stone Mountain outa the ground.You're bringin back some memories now. My old F-1 from back in the early 70's was geared low too.Her name was Amy, never knew "whatcha gonna do". Brakes on the left front stuck and you had to anticipate stopping in time to turn the steering wheel the half turn to start correcting for it. She also had a habit of crankin on her own while just sittin there when it was raining. Forgot and left her in gear one night at a a bar, came out and she had done crunk up, drove herself over to where her front end was sticking out over a retaining wall and her rear was up in the air with her wheels still a spinnin. Had it not been for the cross tie she lodged on that would have been the end of Amy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whaddya mean that flathead was sick?

Ain't that like a buddy, trades engines and THEN tells you he got the better end of the deal </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old-tank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike

OK, the flathead is not sick...just an excuse to swap engines.

Willie </div></div>

A F*** flathead for a Nailhead, boy he saw you comin didn't he. Coulda been a rebuilt flathead and you'd still be on the loosin end so give it up...you've been snookered smirk.gifgrin.gif

So what Willie, are you gonna post pictures of the F*** body or are we gonna have to go over to the Hamb/JalopyJournal and be exposed to all the cussin and peacey attitudes to view it. If so maybe Mike will tell us where we can see the flathead while we're there. whistle.gif

Lamar, I'm in the process of doing a Model A sedan. OK, truthfully, I'm in the process of doing a total remodel on my house so car projects are way on the backburner. I have a frame that is set up for a flathead and so I suggested it to Willie. No arm twisting was done on either end. We both got running engines in the deal. Willie's old nailhead is in my 55 right now so to look at it so that I don't look like a real bonehead... I traded nailheads and Willie gave me the flathead free!!!

Not buyin' it? Yeah me either. blush.gif

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I traded nailheads and Willie gave me the flathead free!!! </div></div>

Whatta you mean free...you're gonna be paying for a long time. grin.gif

Willie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old-tank</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I traded nailheads and Willie gave me the flathead free!!! </div></div>

Whatta you mean free...you're gonna be paying for a long time. grin.gif

Willie </div></div>

It's the price of admission, Pal.

I remember the "free" nailhead you gave me to install in my 55. I believe it cost over 2500 bucks and at least ten 120 mile round trips (plus a couple to San Antonio) to get that engine to the tire-smoking monster it is now. And that was when gas was "cheap" at $2.50 a gallon.

I have already found about ten grand worth of cool stuff for this freebie. Remember, I can hang chrome on this one. wink.gif

Mike

Mike, you've got to get some of that fancy re-cycled paper "green orientation" toilet paper at Whole Foods. Kind of pricey, but really consistent in texture and quality . . . not like the fluffy, snuggly stuff they advertise on television, so it has more sheets than are apparent.

One of these days . . . like hopefully before retirement, I'll get the engine in one of the our GMCs upgraded from the existing 228s to either a 270 or NOS 302 short block. Same architecture, just bigger innards. The '51 is what I drove to high school. Back then, I figured I could make an intake manifold to use some SUs from a Jag, but then along came Clifford Engineering . . . now, a thorttle body injection system might be better.

Best of luck, Willie . . . and Mike.

NTX5467