I can finally check my gas mileage!!!

Guest vicsik1969

Guest vicsik1969

Something important with gas prices as they are. I finally got around to repairing my odometer. Thank you Jeff Backes and Odometer Gears. Whole project took about 90 minutes start to finish.

post-54335-143137985098_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143137985105_thumb.jpg

Guest mtworkshop

Now that you can check your milage - What is the average MPG of a 2.2L 8 valve engine?

Mike

Guest vicsik1969

After 109 miles of city and expressway driving, I just re-filled with 3.88 gallons of gas giving me a 28.1 avg. Top down driving, no A/C.

I need to take apart one more time, however, as the trip odometer reset won't reset...

Guest vicsik1969

Here's the embarassing story about the trip odometer... Seems its been a while since I reset a MECHANICAL one. After taking the speedo out again, I was pressing on the reset bar with increasing pressure when I suddenly heard a sickening crunch and thought for sure I had broke it. Ends up it was just a little stiff from lack of use. After going down memory lane, its probably been ten years since I've owned a car with a non-digital odometer...

I posted this on another thread before I got to this one.

It is about gas mileage in the 2.2 auto. I am getting between 16 and 17 mpg with no air on. I had the 02 sensor changed within the last year but I dont think it was with a mopar. Would that have such a dramatic effect?

Thanks Roger

Guest vicsik1969

Oddly enough, I've changed everything except the O2 sensor. I bought one but it is sitting in my garage. I will also say that I run my tires at 35 psi but I still cant' explain such a large difference between my MPG and yours. I will say mine was probably 80% expressway driving at 65-70. I'm sure all city will be lower.

• 1 month later...
Guest vicsik1969

193 miles, 10.12 gallons on the last tank = 19 MPG.

Mostly city driving with A/C.

How about a survey of gas mileages?

16 Valve

vs

Turbo II

vs

V6

Include for reference type of driving (city vs highway), original or upgraded SMEC, timing, etc.

Guest My TC Toy

This may be of some use to you, just in case your trip odometer is still stiff. I the speedo dead, just behind the trip button there is a copper (?) tension strip. Your trip button rubs off this strip. I applied a little white lithium grease to the contact point on this strip and now my trip is perfectly smoothe.

You guys got CHEAP gas. Here in Newfoundland, and just about right across Canada,we pay $1.53 per litre or $6.94 Imp. Gal. That transulates to $5.81 US Gal. I filled up my Grand Vitara the other day for $100.72!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat them apples!

19 sounds like a bad O2 sensor or maybe fuel pressure regulator. Don't throw parts on though. Post up for a good mechanic on here or Turbo-Mopar.com.

Do you know about the basic key on/off/on/off/on check? the check engine light will flash codes for a basic area to look at.

On my trip to TC America National in Tucson this year, including the run to Tombstone and back home I averaged 29.97 MPG with my 8 valve /5 speed TC.

That's that 245,300 mile car.

Usually I get around 33 MPG average, guess I had too much fun running it through the gears on this trip.