caravan from New England area to nationals in flint

riv1973

i am in the minuteman chapter and am located in Gilford NH. we are going to trailer or GS stage 1 car out to flint. is anyone else going to caravan out to the show? we would like to hook up and travel together. i am not sure if we have to overnight somewhere along the route or if we can make it in one day. i am concerned about leaving our cars out overnight at a hotel. I was wondering if people thought that hiring a security company to guard the cars was a good idea.

well let me know. i am going to see if i can get something posted in the minuteman chapter newsletter next month.

thanks

john

I sent you a PM regarding our plans with the Upstate NY chapter.

Regarding security at the hotels, I guess it all depends on the location of the motel/hotel. I think it would cost well over $100 to watch cars in a parking lot and then you are never sure except that a good hotel might know the company you hire. In that case, I would think it better you stop for a rest along the usually interstate or Throughway rest stops so you are right with the car at all times.

My car is a driver, so I am not too concerned about overnighting, but I will I expect to find a good hotel and either park near my room or a 24/7 lobby, well lit.

See the PM isf you want to join our small group.

John

I'll be on that caravan with Redwind from this site too. We are both driving along with John. Will your car be in an enclosed trailer?

We did book some rooms at a hotel here in Albany for the night of 7-14 for those east of us, if they are interestd. The rates are $69.00/99.00 plus tax per night there. We had our meet there last year and the parking lot seemed fairly safe. We planned to leave around 9 AM on the morning of July 15th from that hotel, if anyone books a room. On the way out we are going through Binghamton and on to Ohio and are overnighting at a bed and breakfast in Painesville Ohio. We plan to arrive in Flint on wednesday july 16th

Let me know if you need further information on either of these options.

Guest imported_Thriller

My experience with cars on trailers has been fine. Perhaps I'm just lucky to date, but with nice old iron, people are more interested in taking a quick look and perhaps asking a few questions than doing any damage.

Of course, it would only take one rotten apple to spoil the experience.

We drove our 64 Riviera from Houston to Seattle and back and had the misfortune of staying in a couple of nights in semi-sleazey motels. We never had any issues at all. Of course, its not a show car, just a nice driver but more people were interested in looking the messing with it. I also have never had anybody mess with my 47 either. Now if anyone could start and drive it is another matter.

i think that we are planning to leave on thursday from NH. it is an open trailer and i plan on locking the heck out of the car and the trailer. i think that if we have to stay overnight that i will choose a nice hotel it will be less likely to attract the problem element.

also how long does it take to drive to flint from albany?

we may try to catch up with you guys on thursday morning.

thanks

john

Estimates from Albany to Flint would be 9 hours, going through Buffalo and Niagra Falls and then west through Canada to Sarnia. Here you cross backover into Michigan on rt 69 directly into Flint.

It's longer if you take any breaks.

Just a couple of suggestions:

Get a good car alarm installed on open trailerd cars.

Contact a local Boy Scout Troop and offer a donation for a couple of scouts to stay overnight (with an adult) to patrol the parking lot. I have used local BSA troops to do this for my tours. They are always looking for donations and are usually glad to do a "campout" to raise $$.

Mark,

Thanks for that suggestion. We are often perhaps overly concerned about security on the road, or having events.

Nothing like catching your "paid professional" security company in the late evening or early night, in the hotel lobby watching TV. Boy Scouts would likely be less expensive and more concerned to do a good job.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Estimates from Albany to Flint would be 9 hours, going through Buffalo and Niagra Falls and then west through Canada to Sarnia. Here you cross backover into Michigan on rt 69 directly into Flint.

It's longer if you take any breaks. </div></div>

You'd be pushing hard to make it in 9 hours, considering a hold up at customs, the Peace Bridge I understand is faster than Lewiston, Bring your passport or drivers license and birth certificate, also bring your registration confimation for the event as proof of where you are going and for what.

From Binghamton, throuh OH fiqure on 11 hours, it's about 110 more miles. Do not go on I-75 to Flint, you will end up on endless detours in downtown Detroit, the road is closed.

Instead take I 280 in Toledo to I 75, then I275 to I96 to M23 north to Flint, where M23 and I75 merge,I 69 east to I475 north to Longway Blvd east to the Flint Cultural Center on your right, to Walnut St for show car entrance.

On the OH turnpike watch for State Troopers around Exit 118.

Roberta,

Thanks so much for that tip about closures in Detroit, and I think mapquest had routed suggestion on M23, but I will need to check my details.

But you don't think my '68 Riv would be speeding do you? If stopped, we will mention your name. See you all soon.

Also, thanks for getting our Yankee Chapter August show posted in the Cal. Did you get a chance to think about my other ideas?

John

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

From Binghamton, throuh OH fiqure on 11 hours, it's about 110 more miles. Do not go on I-75 to Flint, you will end up on endless detours in downtown Detroit, the road is closed.

Instead take I 280 in Toledo to I 75, then I275 to I96 to M23 north to Flint, where M23 and I75 merge,I 69 east to I475 north to Longway Blvd east to the Flint Cultural Center on your right, to Walnut St for show car entrance.

On the OH turnpike watch for State Troopers around Exit 118.

</div></div>

11 Hrs from Binghamton, plus another 2 1/2 from Albany via Rt 88. Still, thats the way I hope to go. I'd rather burn the gas on the open road rather than sitting at the border crossings. Now if we can just get those gas taxes waived for the summer whistle.gif

Meanwhile the place we are staying in Painesville has a BCA connection. Although not members themselves, the proprietors told me they used to help another Ohio BCA member when he took his Buick to all the BCA events. What great people there.

• 1 month later...

TTT

We booked some rooms at the Comfort Inns and Suites on Central Avenue in Albany for the night of 7-14 for those east of us, if they are interested. The rates are $69.00/99.00 plus tax per night there. We had our meet there last year and the parking lot seemed fairly safe. We planned to leave around 9 AM on the morning of July 15th from that hotel (if anyone books a room). We will enter the NYS Thruway at interchange 24 and travel West exiting onto Rt 88 at interchange 25A (no toll). We will then take route 88 to Binghamton, to Rt 86 West to Erie PA, then Rt 90 West to Painesville Ohio for an overnight stay at the Riders Inn. We plan to arrive in Flint on Wednesday July 16th.

Anybody who wants to join us at any part of the route is encouraged to do so. Always glad to answer any questions here or by e mail at jld1972@verizon.net

• 2 weeks later...

We are now at two weeks before the trip, so I thought I would bring this again to the top to see if anyone else wants to share the road with us.

If anyone along the way, or anywhere east of here has questions, let us know.

John

John and JD,

It is official, we will be joining the caravan. We will meet you at the Riders Inn....we have reservations for Tuesday the 15th.

We will be there early afternoon on the 15th. When you get there, you will probably find me enjoying a libation or two or maybe three in the cocktail lounge.

See ya there.

Stevo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John and JD,

... When you get there, you will probably find me enjoying a libation or two or maybe three in the cocktail lounge....

See ya there.

Stevo</div></div>

Sweet biscuits, save some for us too...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in joining, here's the plan:

<span style="font-weight: bold">From:1631 Central Avenue, Albany 12205, New York

To:792 Mentor Avenue, Painesville 44077, Ohio

Total Distance:468.5 miles (754.0km)

Total Estimated Time:7 hrs., 1mins</span>.

Directions Depart July 15th 9-9:15 from

1631 Central Avenue, Albany 12205, New York (The Comfort Inn)

to Vestal,New York. Distance:141.6 miles (227.9km)

1.Start out heading SOUTHEAST on CENTRAL AVENUE towards Rt 87 Drive for 0.6 miles.

2.Turn SLIGHT RIGHT to get on I87 S towards NEW YORK THRUWAY.

Drive for 0.8 miles.

3.Take exit number 1 towards I90 W / NEW YORK THRUWAY / BUFFALO. W. Drive for 10.5 miles.

4.Take exit number 25A to get on I88 W towards / BINGHAMTON /

5. Pick up travelers at 1st exit area.

6) Drive for 117.6 miles. NOTE: 5-10 min stops at the two rest areas provided. Ist one is just west of cobleskill.

7.In binghamton, Go STRAIGHT on I81 S. Drive for 1.4 miles.

8.Take RT17 W towards OWEGO / ELMIRA. Drive for 7.9 miles.

9.Take exit number 67S to get on RT 26S towards VESTAL / RT434.

Drive for 0.5 miles.

10.Take RT434 W towards RT434 / VESTAL.

11.Arrive Applebees Restaurant around 11:45 AM for lunch.

12.Optional refuel as required.

Depart Vestal between 12:45 and 1 PM , to 792 Mentor Avenue, Painesville 44077, Ohio

Distance:326.9 miles (526.1km)

13.Head west on RT434.Drive for 5.4 miles.

14.Turn RIGHT onto VALLEY VIEW DRIVE. Drive for 0.1 miles.

15.Take LEFT RT86 (former Rt17) W. Drive for 236.8 miles.

16 Take exit number 1A to get on I90 W towards ERIE.

Drive for 79.5 miles.

17.Take exit number 200 towards OH44/CHARDON/PAINESVILLE. Drive for 0.2 miles.

18.Turn RIGHT to get on OH44 N. Drive for 1.4 miles.

19.Take exit towards OH84/MENTOR/US20/PAINESVILLE.

Drive for 0.3 miles.

20.Turn RIGHT onto OH84.Drive for a short distance.

21.Turn LEFT onto CHESTNUT STREET. Drive for 1.3 miles.

22.Turn LEFT onto MENTOR AVENUE. Drive for a short distance.

23.You have reached 792 Mentor Avenue, Painesville 44077, Ohio

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wednesday July 16th depart Riders Inn between 9:30 and 10 AM:

792 Mentor Avenue, Painesville 44077, Ohio to 1221 E

Kearsley Street, Flint 48503, Michigan

Distance:250.2 miles (402.6km)Total Estimated Time:3 hrs., 51mins</span>

Directions:

1.Start out heading SOUTHWEST on MENTOR AVENUE towards

NEWELL STREET. Drive for 0.2 miles.

2.Turn RIGHT onto ORCHARD GROVE. Drive for 0.1 miles.

3.Turn LEFT onto W JACKSON STREET. Drive for 0.3 miles.

4.Turn RIGHT to get on OH44 N towards CLEVELAND/OH2/FAIRPORT HARBOR. Drive for 0.9 miles.

5.Take OH2 W towards OH2W/OH44 N /CLEVELAND. Drive for 25.1 miles.

6.Keep SLIGHT LEFT at the fork towards I90W. Drive for 3.2 miles.

7.Stay SLIGHT RIGHT on I90 W heading towards TOLEDO. Drive for

110.1 miles.

8.Take exit number 59 towards US20/I 475/US23.Drive for 0.4

miles.

9.Keep SLIGHT RIGHT at the fork towards ramp towards I80/I90W

/CHICAGO. Drive for a short distance.

10.Keep SLIGHT RIGHT at the fork towards ramp. Drive for 0.2 miles.

11.Keep SLIGHT RIGHT at the fork towards ramp towards US20S/I475/I75/US23. Drive for 0.2 miles.

12.Go STRAIGHT on REYNOLDS ROAD S. Drive for 0.2 miles.

13.Turn RIGHT onto W DUSSEL DRIVE. Drive for 1.4 miles.

14.Turn RIGHT to get on I475 N towards I475 N/US23 N /ANN ARBOR. Drive for 7 miles.

15.Go STRAIGHT on US23N. Drive for 94.2 miles.

16.Take exit number 117A towards I69/LANSING/PORT HURON.

Drive for 0.2 miles.

17.Keep SLIGHT RIGHT at the fork towards ramp towards I69E/I69

W/LANSING/FLINT/PORT HURON. Drive for 0.2 miles.

18.Turn SLIGHT RIGHT to get on I69 E towards FLINT/PORT HURON.

Drive for 2.6 miles.

19.Take exit number 136 towards SAGINAW ST/DOWNTOWN. Drive

for 0.2 miles.

20.Go STRAIGHT on W 9TH STREET. Drive for 0.2 miles.

21.Turn LEFT onto S SAGINAW STREET. Drive for 0.3 miles.

22.Turn RIGHT onto E 5TH STREET. Drive for 0.3 miles.

23.Turn LEFT onto M21W. Drive for 0.1 miles.

24.Go STRAIGHT on NB CHAVEZ DRIVE. Drive for 0.4 miles.

25.Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto E KEARSLEY STREET. Drive for 0.4 miles.

26.You have reached THE BCA NATIONAL MEET 08 at : 1221 E Kearsley Street, Flint 48503, Michigan

Anyone along the way, who would like to drive with us is invited. Please make your best time estimate.