Any idea of the weight of a 1939 120 engine?

Tom Laferriere

I would guess around 800 lbs for the small straight 8. I know the V12 is around 1300 lbs with the trans on it from when we pulled it out of our 39 Packard, and I pulled a 288 from my old 48 and its up there around 800 lbs, had to pull the wheels on both cars and set the on 4x4s because the cars raised so much my engine hoist couldnt go that high.

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, 800 sounds about right.

With the manifolds, starter, generator and flywheel removed it would be less than that tho.

There really wouldn't be any reason to guess if someone had the 39 specifications in front of them. I don't, but doubt the 39 120 engine could weight much different than the 1941 120 engine. Packard listed the 1941 120 as 781 lbs, including the transmission and clutch. With overdrive, they listed it as 839 lbs.

Just for comparision, the corresponding numbers for the 1941 senior "356" engine with clutch and transmission was 986 lbs, and 1036 with overdrive.

To be fair the Packard V8 was considered a "big block" comparable to a 625lb Caddy, 735lb Chrysler hemi, 725lb Olds or 640lb Buick.

In that league it was right around the middle in weight while having the largest displacement.

The Chev was the lightest V8 available then, at 540lbs but it only displaced 283 cu in making it a "small" V8.

Ford, Studebaker, Plymouth and Dodge V8s all weighed around 625 to 650lbs and were considered "small".

Guest imported_PackardV8

I found it. My above post is INcorrect about the Streight 8 weight.

Taken from "The New Packard V-8 Engine" by W E Schweider March 1955 for the SAE Golden Anneversay meeting:

Weighed dry, complete with all accessories except air cleaner:

1954 straight 8 is 752 pounds

1955 V8 is 698 pounds.

NOT included in the above weights and a a sidenote :

The radiator for 1954 is 32 pounds vs, 22 pounds for 1955. i find this rather strange.

Guest imported_PackardV8

I have a 1937 Packard factory "Condensed Servide Manual" that does NOT have any engine weights listed in it that i can find.

According to the shop manual, my '41 Buick's big straight 8 weighs 862 pounds as-assembled (flywheel & accessories, but no transmission). When I pulled it, it actually started bending the puny engine stand I had as I released the hoist. I bought one for diesel truck engines to hold it, and it works very well.

Matt, the shop I worked in did many straight 8 engines, we had engine stands that resembled two V8 auto parts store stands facing each other, but on a common frame. the usual tilt heads had adjustable arms that ran from head to head and the block was bolted to those horizontal arms through a few of the oil pan holes on each side. Very stable, very safe. The engine stands that are available from Harbor freight and the local auto parts store really can't handle the overhung weight of a straight 8