Recall Notice

Richard S

While rummaging around on the site I came across the Technical Service Bulletin #90C77 Date: 900901 Transaxle Shift Control Cable Disengagement Model Year:1990 Bulletin No.:<BR>90-C-7 which calls for the insertion of a clip to prevent the shift cable from disengaging. In looking at the affected VIN numbers, my car falls in the group. Is it too late to have the dealer check and effect the repair?<BR>Richard

Years back I was the Warranty Administrator for a large dealer group and unless the rules have changed, Campaigns may have manufacturer restrictions on time and other particulars. Recalls have no restrictions.

You can find the full text of the Bulletin at the Reatta.net pages. The action was required by the NHTSA. Although it has the word "campaign", the bulletin also contains the following quote. "DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward." Ah, to to be able to read those words regarding the Teves System. I intend to bring a copy of the Bulletin to my local Buick dealer and see what their reaction is.

I have two 90's How can I find the VIN 's for the cars affected by the recall you wrote about. I would love to take them to the local Buick dlr and have some free work (for a change)

Guest wally888

Does the clip install under the consol or under the hood?<BR> The reason I ask is I had a 91 whoose cable slipped 0ff under the hood. Actually the bolt holding shift arm was loose causing the cable end to wobble and over a period of time (41k)it honed the opening allowing cable to disengage. Scary!

I too worked for a number of automoblie dealerships. As I remember, there is no limit on a recall. However, in light of GM failing to support the Reatta, there now my be a problem providing the correct part. It may be "NLS". Howard

Charlie, check out the entire Bulletin at reatta.net. When you are into the bulletins page, do a search for the bulletin number I provided. Wally, I don't remember, but if you read the service procedure in the bulletin you can tell. Howard, from the language quoted, I don't think GM is allowed to run out of parts. May have to order, but they are under time constraints imposed by NHTSA. I reprinted the bulletin and highlighted the mandatory language and time limits for the edification of the service manager. I doubt that this would find much priority otherwise.<BR>Richard

It is probable that the modification was already installed on your Reatta. In theory, if your car ever was serviced by a Buick dealer after 9/1/90 it was done, or your car could have been sitting on the selling dealer's lot, unsold on that date, in which case the modification would have been performed prior to the Cars delivery to its first owner. The dealer should be able to look up on GM's computer system whether the modification had been made or not. If it hasn't, they should be willing to perform the service as it is a safety recall and GM is footing the bill anyway.<P>As far as I know, Recalls do not have expiration dates, but I wonder if you brought say, a recalled 73 Pinto into your local ford dealer, if they would be willing and able to get parts to perform the modification(s). **hmmm**

Recalls are unlimited in time, but the car manufactuar is only required to make parts for up to 10 years. This doesnt mean there isnt a surplus, it just means they may not be producing the part anymore. Who knows, they could have put that part on a 94 which means they are still producing it.

I would think that GM would want it fixed, as it is a pontential liability issue for them. If an accident were to occur because of their refusal to fix a car that has an established saftey recall on it, the lawsuit that would occur just isn't worth it for them.

Is there a 'Car-Fax' type of web-site to get this information from? Seems to me I've heard mention of this type of service someplace. confused.gif" border="0

There is no requirement for manufacturers to provide parts for ten years or any other length of time. The ten year number is generally accepted, but there is no law or regulation which requires it. <P> Remember that every esoteric unsold part GM carrys in stock increases the price of stuff you DO buy.