Thermostatically Controlled Shutters

powerplay

Hi,

I have a 1926 Cadillac Model 314 and it has thermostatically controlled shutters.

Does anyone know if the thermostat device that is in the upper radiator tank is reproduced for purchase, or if there is vendor that can rebuild these?

Please let me know.

Thank you..........

These, I believe, are very similar to those on early 30s Buicks. You could ask the people at Then & Now in Weymouth, MA to see if they have ever rebuilt one. I think it is just a question of a proper duplicate of the diaphram.

Mine on my '32 Buick was rebuilt and does close when it is colder, but does not open the louvers fully when warm, as I would like it. Many Buicks I have seen will get a descrite block of wood in the louvers when driving when real hot.

Good luck and keep the forum posted, as I would like to enhance mine also if you can find any help.

John

Hi Powerplay, There is a guy....probably the last man on earth that still rebuilds these things. His name is James Otto, his address is 10700 Alemeda Drive, Knoxville, TN 37932-2503. His phone number is (865) 966-9494.

He rebuilt 2 for my cars. I think it cost around $200 each. He's very knowledgeable.

Larry Yirga

Larry,

Thanks for the lead. I have been asked for such a lead many times. My 31 Buick thermostat works perfectly... I think it is because I lube the shutters & linkage every year and the drive rod is properly adjusted for the full stroke of the diaphragm.

To Larry,

Thanks for the info regarding the thermostat rebuilding.

To Mark

And thank you also. I will look into adjustment of the rod as I was not sure there was such an adjustment, as I have been busy fussing with Marvel problems which have now been corrected and allowing me to get into the next items on the "list".

John

• 7 months later...

I think what David Coco was referring to is that these 3 inch round bellows thermostat units are common to many differant cars. My L series (1930) Lincoln also uses this round bellows thermostat.

These are fairly easy to repair. Perform an air leak-down test using 5-10 pounds of air. If necessary, solder the repair which is usually a crack in the bellows section. When disassembled, use bright light against the suspected section to see the leak area. After soldering together, fill the unit half way (and I mean only half way) with Methyl Alcohol using the "soldered over" fill area in the rear of the unit. You can also replace the soldered fill hole with a machine screw and nylon washer with sealant. Using the machine screw method also makes it easier to perform the leak-down test. Methyl Alcohol is used in some brands of Dry Gas products, so read the labels carefully. I found mine at a local Rite Aid drug store. Do not use Ethyl or Isopropel alcohol. Test the unit in a pot of boiling water before reinstalling.

Cost of Solder: $2.50

Cost of Dry Gas: $2.99

Repairing it yourself: Priceless!

• Like 1

This style was used on 1930 Studebaker President 8 engines, you could try Bob Kapteyn in Joliet, IL.(Joliet Studebaker Parts) I think there were some in the inventory I sold him several years ago.

Stude8

post-31139-143138028372_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138028379_thumb.jpg