Interior photos, before and after

1935Packard

I thought you all might like to see a "before" and "after" photo of the interior of my Packard. The "before" photo was taken in February 2007, when I first bought the car and it was in need of a good cleaning. The "after" photo was taken yesterday. I haven't done much -- mostly cleaning it up, with a few replaced parts here and there -- but hey, progress is progress. Next up, getting the new carpets installed.

post-54236-143137979957_thumb.jpg

post-54236-143137979997_thumb.jpg

Holy S--t!!!

It hardly looks like the same dashboard smile.gif

Big difference when you...

1. replaced the gear shift knob

2. re-did the wood window molding

3. gauge panels looks brand new

4. Did you put in a new windshield and weatherstrip?

5. You sure have returned the elegance back to that deserving car.

Guest 39Super8

You have certainty done the car justice! I am guessing you will miss the J.C. Whitney shift knob, but give it time; the replacement will grow on you smile.gif

It is truly amazing how much and how far a little TLC can take a car. Your attention to detail is fantastic!

It is nice to see pictures like this, kind of keeps us all going.

Jim

Thanks, guys!

West, the gauge panel is still the original, actually, although as you say I did redo the wood window molding, repace the gear shift knob (50 bucks from yesterday's radio), and have a new windshield and weatherstrip installed. All three made a really huge difference, I thought. But a lot of it was just cleaning and detailing; it's amazing how much the gauge panel cleaned up with just some extra fine steel wool and chrome polish.

I also took out the tonneau cover doodads that for some weird reason were added in the 1978 "cosmetic restoration." You can still see the remnants of the ones on the dash, as I just refilled the holes by hand with a bit of metal-colored bondo (it actually matched the paint color pretty well right out of the tube). Not perfect, but good enough for the time being. Eventually I'll have the dash "woodgrained" the way it should be, but I plan to wait for the winter as I understand it takes a while for the woodgrain folks to do their thing. I'll probably take that opportunity to remove the spotlight, too, as the dash was bent in the corner to make way for the spotlight.

I also want to get the correct cigar lighter and replace the plastic buttons for the windshield wipers with the proper metal ones. And . . . . well, obviously there's always more stuff to get or work on or play with. . . .

If you are talented, you could order a wood graining kit and do the dash yourself from here . I had them do my woodgraining. About $1200 for the dash and glove box doors. Or you could do what a friend of mine did and go real cheap with shelf lining wood pattern contact paper. smile.gif

Ken,

Never having tried it before, I figure I should probably leave it to the professionals -- the last thing I want is to go through all that time and effort and screw it up. (Plus, I need some metal work done on the dash and frame, so I figure this is a job to be outsourced.)

Guest superods

I purchased thier latest oil based kit called the artistian. Waiting for delivery. Will let you boys know just how easy or difficult it is to get professional results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken,

Never having tried it before, I figure I should probably leave it to the professionals -- the last thing I want is to go through all that time and effort and screw it up. (Plus, I need some metal work done on the dash and frame, so I figure this is a job to be outsourced.) </div></div>

The kit look pretty easy as I saw it demoed. But agree with you. Most home done woodgrain projects look...well home done.

Guest superods

One puts his mind to it ...often they do better work than the professional. Now, having but one or maybe two cars...not cost effective. When you have a few ...then you can save 1000 to 1800 per dash and 250 each window. It is all in the tools!

<span style="font-style: italic">One puts his mind to it ...often they do better work than the professional. Now, having but one or maybe two cars...not cost effective. When you have a few ...then you can save 1000 to 1800 per dash and 250 each window. It is all in the tools!</span>

I'll make you a deal, superods: If you buy me a whole bunch of old Packards that need woodgraining, I will agree to buy the kit and do the woodgraining myself. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One puts his mind to it ...often they do better work than the professional. Now, having but one or maybe two cars...not cost effective. When you have a few ...then you can save 1000 to 1800 per dash and 250 each window. It is all in the tools! </div></div>

So I guess the ones I saw were done by "mindless" owners smile.gif

The kits are around $400 so I think they are cost effective for a single dash. For us "do it ourselves owner" we tend to spend more time as our time is "free" unlike the professional. The proessional has the experience/knowledge advantage.

Guest superods

The tools Birdman the tools....

According to U GRAIN IT, the kit you are talking about is not recommended for dash boards. None of the rollers are large enough. The one necessary is 300 bucks by itself. That is why they call that kit " the professional". The plates are also 12x24 rather than 6x12 so the pattern does not repeat near as often in the larger ones. They are also recommended for dash boards. It would be far more difficult to do a top notch job with the smaller rollers. They work fine on the the window surrounds. There are 4 sizes...I bought them all.

When I do mine I will post the photos Tom.

Superods,

yes, but you are still under $1000 and then you can do all the rice burners cars in the neighborhood smile.gif So for a car with a dash and a few panels you are easily at $2K.

I heard wood paneling is coming back so you could do woodgraining of your sheetrock smile.gif

remember, he who dies with the most tools wins:-)

Steve,

Good eye! Yes, the lurking car is indeed a '49 Cadillac, also mine. I bought the Cadddy in 2002; my first antique car. (Well, sort of -- long story there.) The Cadillac is one of 200 or so of the "chartreuse" Series 62 convertibles made in late '48 to early '49 before they switched colors to a more sedate color offering. (Cadillac was sure that color would be a big seller, but instead no one wanted it at the time.) So believe it or not, that color is the original color.

I plan on taking some good photos of the whole Packard soon -- I will post them when I have them.

Doing the woodgrain will help a lot, and the progress you have made is super. Make sure your woodgraining company knows the 35 12 pattern - it is a very plain, straight grain. The cheaper cars in 35 had burl, and I have seen a couple of restored 12s that people paid a lot to have done incorrectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Mitchell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doing the woodgrain will help a lot, and the progress you have made is super. Make sure your woodgraining company knows the 35 12 pattern - it is a very plain, straight grain. The cheaper cars in 35 had burl, and I have seen a couple of restored 12s that people paid a lot to have done incorrectly. </div></div>

Dave,

Great advice. I first was recommend to a "Packard expert". I told him exactly the pattern that a 32 had. He proceeded to do it is way. When I called Grain-it they guy I spoke with new axactly the correct pattern. Cost me more but if you want to be authentic as possible, be wise.

<span style="font-style: italic">Doing the woodgrain will help a lot, and the progress you have made is super. Make sure your woodgraining company knows the 35 12 pattern - it is a very plain, straight grain. The cheaper cars in 35 had burl, and I have seen a couple of restored 12s that people paid a lot to have done incorrectly.</span>

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I'd heard that the proper 35 12 pattern was different than the pattern in the 8s -- I'll be sure to emphasize the point when I get this done.