air conditioning

scott209

I recently had my air conditioning recharged with R-12. After a test run in warm L.A. weather, it didn't seem to cool the car very well.

What component in the air conditioning circuit cools the air and how do I test it to see if it is functioning properly?

Scott

Guest campolojr

Make sure you hear the ac pump's clutch kick in or have somebody watch it while you turn on the ac if it kicks on and you have no cold air then. I would check to see if you have freon pressure.

Answers to your questions.

It's a 1990.

I have owned the car for 8 months and the AC has never worked. I didn't ask the seller if it ever worked for him.

I had the system charged one week ago and cleared the codes.

I feel cool air from the vents when the system is on and the fan works.

I recently saw a post about the control arm behind the glove box. I fiddled with it after I changed the ECM.

Could this be the problem?

Scott

The air diverter door & linkage is probably not at fault. All this does is direct air flow to the dash vents or the floor vent. If you are getting air delivery to the dash when you have A/C, Econ, Heater or Bi-level selected then the mix door is ok. The fact that it sounds like you are getting air but not cool enough means something else is wrong.

Did the shop that charged it say anything about how much freon it took? If the system was completely empty, there may either be a significant leak or the system may have been compromised by moisture or other impurities. This means replacing at least the accumulator and orifice tube. Maybe also the condenser and compressor if it has been "open" for a long time.

Of course, with any of the above replaced then the system would have to be evacuated; pull hard vacuum and have it hold that pressure for 20 minutes to be sure it is leak free.

Keep in mind that if the system was non-functional for a long time and has impurities in it now, the compressor may have lost it's oil supply through a leak and the pressure switches could also be bad causing a malfunction or latch-out of the A/C system. When you try to run it, has it locked out and set codes again?

Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this by simple troubleshooting process.

KDirk

Guest mongeonman

The mix door behind the glove box mixes hot and cold air ,if it is not ajusted properly it could mix hot air with cold air when you ask for just cold air,that would be because the mix door is not all the way on one side.