restore or original pierce arrow

arrow

I just purchased a 1930 pierce arrow all original and untouched in excellent condition the question is to stay in original category is maintenance allowed ? and some chrome has been exposed to salt air for 60 years and is down to base metal can i rechrome and still be original? thanks r.a.

First, let me state I am not a judge. Second, can you post a picture? On a personal basis I think in order to preserve a car some maintenence must be performed; this would apply to cosmetic work as well as mechanical. I feel a water pump rebuild or repacking of wheel bearings would be allowed,so some chrome or paint should be allowable; especially if it prevents further deterioation. Should the Oldsmobile "Limited" sold at Hershey last year be restored? This point brings to mind an Antiques Roadshow I saw some years ago. It happens this couple had inhereited a highboy and taken it to a refinisher to have the ugly old paint removed. They were so proud. Turns out it would have been worth 1.5 mill. if they had left the original finish; now only 80K.

Arrow, Welcome to the forum. Toys, cars, furniture... You only have original paint one time. You can restore it 10 times. The Pierce Arrow Society judges cars for correct original items, and a unrestored 30 coupe won the 1930 class last year at the Meet in Mass. I just purchased a 1927 Pierce that is unrestored and will stay that way. The problem here in PA is the antique plate use does not like "ugly" cars such as these. I am happy to show it "no Judge" with the other cars going for First Jr's knowing it is with the rest of the classics. The other option is HPOF class at AACA shows. Good used parts are a good fix for most problems. As soon as you re-chrome the first part it will look out of place. Karl

post-31455-143137973387_thumb.jpg

I read the aaca judges manual but there is no reference to rechroming i do not want to paint it or change anything its just the chrome has been polished so many times that its worn off and base metal showing It is a salon edl and grill and rockguard are now green and on a car this big it shows up Thanks R.A.

• 1 month later...