Judging Antique Autos

Willy

When an antique auto is entered in a show, what is the deciding factor in determining that a particular vehicle is exactly original? Is it just the judges that day, or is there an organization, a manual, or something written that determines the originality of a car? I have not started restoring my 28 Whippet, and I should know this before I start.

Willy,

I am surprised no one else answered. I think, it depends on what show. I assume you are talking about AACA, and there is a judging manual you can buy, but it does not mention the originality of the components.

Your best source is a Whippet club or other owners.

I am Buick person and the BCA has a judging manual that indicates proper colors, white wall sizes, wheel colors, top covers, etc. I hope Whippets have the same.

Willy--that varies from club to club. Some groups like the Lincoln Owners Club put out beautiful booklets using the original factory parts book doctored up to indicate what finish, color, plating etc. every part should have.

Other clubs (I am now referring to Marque-specific clubs) have a system where the same six guys who have known each other since 195X are the judging authorities, nothing is documented and "they just know how those cars were built" because Jerry got that car out of that barn in 1968 and boy, it sure was original, and nobody knows more about the 193X models than Jerry. Of course, Jerry ain't exactly young anymore, and hey--we all go the way of all flesh, so what happens to all of that knowledge?

One club I know of suggest that you "restore your car, get it judged and then you'll know." Wonderful--so that means a certain percentage of the time and money you spend will be wasted if your research does not jive with their unpublished "standard".

The AACA is great, they tend to be more uniform and spend no small energy educating their judges, although I almost lost big points when a judge at Hershey was certain that we had moved the battery of a 1933 Auburn from under the seat <span style="font-style: italic">where it belongs</span>(Auburn didn't locate the batteries under the seat then) to a battery box located on the frame, under the passenger-side fender (which is where they are located on every Auburn of that model I have ever seen). It took some gentle negotiation, but we weren't penalized wrongly. Take pictures, bring pictures. Get original data (literature, photos), bring data.

Sounds like your goal is to restore your car authentically. I actually think "authentic" is a better word than "original" but that argument has been played out on the forum numerous times. As has been suggested, do all your research using factory documentation. I'm convinced after several restorations that there isn't really any such thing as an "expert" out there. You can become the most informed person on your car however by doing that research and then doing everything possible to bring the car back to an authentic condition, as it left the factory. You can check the AACA Judging Manual for info, or better yet, attend some shows and get to the judging schools to see how it works. Have fun learning about the car and doing as much as you can yourself and enjoy the hobby whether you decide to show or drive.

Terry

Willy,

In order to save you some money, we have our current rulebook that can be downloaded right off of this website at no cost to you.

As for the particulars, I would contact the Willys Overland Knight Registry and go from there.

The advantage that you have is that if you follow the basic guidelines, you'll be able to get the car restored close enough to where you should be okay. Remember, you're talking about a 1928 Whippet. This is a car where the chances of you going to an AACA meet and parking next to another one are slim to none. Based on the rulebook, many of the judges won't even know what a Whippet looks like let alone be able to identify what's wrong. Here is a case where at times, owning an orphan car can be an advantage.

Thank you all for your input! Now I have much to explore. I just want my restoration to be authentic, not for winning awards, but for my own satisfaction. I will study all that was offered here, and hopefully, I'll have a car I can be proud of!

Willy, if you're not already, and you have the time to do it, get involved in AACA, become a judge, and start judging. The information that you learn through judging will assist you in learning what is right, what is wrong, and what to look for. This experience will also provide you with the means to "pick the brains" of the other judges that you are around.

If the Willys Overland Knight Registry has a program like AACA, I would get involved with that as well. The more that you can learn, the more that you can apply to your own vehicle and have your restoration be a success. When my dad and I are restoring a vehicle, we try to judge the class that the vehicle that we are restoring will be in once it's finished. The things that we have learned through the judging process has made things well worth the time.

Good luck!! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.