1960 Buick

Seamus Moran

Can anyone out there shed some light on this? My '60 Invicta has recently developed a chirping type squeak somewhere in the driveline. The frequency suggests that it's not at the wheels but in the torque tube or even the back of the trans.It occurs intermittantly and increases in pitch with acceleration, but is also present on decceleration with my foot off the gas. It sounds like something needs a lube, but I can't trace exactly where it's coming from. I've had the back wheels off the ground with it in drive and it doesn't make the noise until the parkbrake is applied a little (in order to create a bit of load) but even then it's impossible to pin down. The trans fluid is at the right level and looks and smells good.

I've never owned a car with a torque tube before and don't know how to go about checking the UJs. Hopefully the problem is minor, but I would like to get it sorted, so any advice would be gratefully received.Thanks. Seamus in UK

Sure wish there was an easy answer for this, then I could find the same noise in my 56.

Here' are a few things to check, although there may be big differences in our cars:

1) Motor mounts

2) transmission mount

3) parking brake cable There may be a grommet that the cable passes through on the torque tube that is worn out.

Other things may be outer wheel bearings, or loose brake shoe material, or rusted and broken lip on the rear brake drums.

Partial engagement of the parking pawl.

Dry splines on the drive shaft. There really is no end.

Do you have a manual? If so see if there is an adjustment to the transmission linkage for the parking pawl. That made a big difference in my car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like something needs a lube, but I can't trace exactly where it's coming from. I've had the back wheels off the ground with it in drive and it doesn't make the noise until the parkbrake is applied a little (in order to create a bit of load) but even then it's impossible to pin down. </div></div>

Have you tried to trace this noise down with a mechanic's stethoscope? I find that these things are worth their weight in gold for problems like this.

$1.99 mechanic's stethoscope @ Harbor Freight.com