degrees of restoration

Guest ricko1

Guest rickomo1

My question here is what is a restoration. ground up,frame off,custom,slight custom,rat rod,refreshed, original. I think people have different idea of what is what. I have a 1942 lincoln zephyr 3 pass coupe, the interior is original,the brakes have been gone through non original motor but i have the original engine, so it runs what is it????????? oooops i forgot barn find

Sounds like an original car to me, unless the "non original" motor is a late model V8. If it's similar to the original one you would be in the HPOF class with a mostly unrestored vehicle showing preserved original components.

Best of all you can say it's running barn find and enjoy

it just like it is. Those barn finds are always enjoyed be almost everyone at shows (except the guy who trailered in

a Grand National Winner that's the same year and model)

Try to keep it that way if you can, it's what everybody wishes they could find.

If you are looking for definitions I'll give my 2¢ worth-

A restoration is bringing a vehicle back to showroom condition as close to 100% as your wallet will allow. Ground up and frame up tells me some one basically disassembled the entire vehicle methodically replacing even bolts with slightly worn heads as well as everything else. These definitions have a wide variety of interpretations no doubt.

And the fact that sombody did pull the body off doesn't mean they had to unless there was a positive indication of rust lurking where it could not be attacked in any other way. Most cars gently kept for their lives in my opinion do not need body off and it's money spent for naught.

Mild custom was the jargon of the day in the 50s. This would be nearly every car at some shows. I see cars with non stock wheels, non stock repro interiors, often aftermarket steering wheels, non stock pain jobs. Occassionally some chrome removed and lowering without the use of hydraulics. These cars could be 100% stock in a couple days.

A full custom has had extensive body modifications and changes in every area really. True customs are heavy on chrome in the engines and uncarraige. Some are so radical they bear no resemblance to the original car. Values, and what people will pay is usually higher than a 100% stocker. People interested in this type of car appreciate the money spent for the result.

A refreshed original is probably what I'd call my Packard. It has a driver paint job but very excellent rechroming thought the interior is original 1950.

A rat rod is what we called any car in the 50s that was in the transition stages- primer and probably stripped interior all awaiting proper attention when the owner could afford it. These were daily drivers usually owned by younger guys.

Degrees of restoration just brings back bad memories of the years I spent in a restoration shop. To me a FULL restoration is just that EVERYTHING is perfect as it was when the vehicle was new. The shop owner would do "driver restorations" for those that didn't want to spend the amount it takes for a full blown restoration. Some were down the line the owner would deside that he really did want a perfect show car, and you'd have to upgrade everything you should have done right the first time. There were others that took the "driver restoration" that they asked for to a show were they were awarded the 2nd or 3rd place the car deserved, but loudly complain that the "restoration" they paid for was not good enough and cost more than it should.

An old car friend of mine had a favorite expression on this topic - "they are all just old cars that have been repaired - some more than others."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Bond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An old car friend of mine had a favorite expression on this topic - "they are all just old cars that have been repaired - some more than others." </div></div>

Yeah I like that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!