Arm length of '37 wiper towers?

CBoz

Hello Folks -

I was getting ready to send Lyle a set of wiper arm towers when I noticed that in my set, I had two wiper towers with "long" arms to the wiper motor, but they were different lengths.

Does anyone know what the correct lengths were for the '36/7? There should be a long arm and short arm, if I'm correct.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Jeff, unless your '40 Z is vastly different than a '41, it will have a short underdash arm off the motor that is 8 1/4" on the drivers side, and 20 1/2" on the passenger side, all the blades are the same on C's and Z's, 9", same as some '41-'48 Fords, and available at the various Obsolete Ford venues, and the arm off the outside of the tower is 10" long, with my poor eyes, I did not check the chassis parts book as I should have, but that is what the parts I have here measure out too, incidentally, I just got a new Narragansett catalog, has a lot of good stuff for us, and a lot of stuff for later L's too

Rolf, I meant the actual arm, stainless thing that mounts on the post outside...I do drive in the rain, as we are blessed with it here in oHIo, but had to trim the blades in order to not rub too much on the windshield frame. I tried ford blades, but ford windshield is smaller..continental is much smaller..

jb

Ok Jeff, it is early morning and my eyes are a little fresher, on page 286 of the '36-'48 Chassis part catalog, there is a listing for a 99A17528, that is a 1939 Mercury number, it is a wiper blade 9" long that is correct for '36-'42, there are different arms for both '40's and Connies, but no other length blade listed, the '46-'48 blades have a different number, but are still 9" long, difference is probally how they attach to the arms, to answer your next question, no it does not say how the 1940 arms,06H17529, differ from the others, or their length, a guess is the attachment to the tower shaft, I have some that have push-on dealies, and others which fasten on a threaded shaft- with a nut

Phil did not mention it, but the blades appear to be 9" as they are supposed to be, and notice the taller towers on the Connie, the Z's had short guys like the '39, the screw on push on arm controversy has raged for years, leading me to suspect that they came both ways with different suppliers

Guest imported_V12Bill

Rolf,

I believe the bolt on wiper arms were 1940 and older and the push on were 1941 and newer. This is subject to change if you have one or the other different and don't want to change it over.