SE WI tornado

Vincent Vega

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vincent Vega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Manik. You OK? Looks like a rare January tornado was in your back yard. </div></div>

1-7-2008Tornado120.jpg

Yep, pretty much!

I went out to snap some pix, soon as the tornado sirens sounded the alarms.

Our house in Wheatland was missed by a couple blocks. Many of the nieghbors were trapped in thier basements after the storm rolled over them. Multiple large cranes arrived to lift the houses off the basements to free the occupants. NO FATALITIES! Only 1 broken arm. I did'nt take any pix over there, plenty of gawkers and news channel remote vans for that. There is a debris trail for miles, thru the woods/fields. WI-50 was closed, covered w/debris, limited access as of yesterday evening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tammy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking the same thing...hope your ok Randy. </div></div>

I think I'm Okay, but Panik has a different opinion on the state of my mind! She was huddled in the basement for most the time I was out in the yard/storm taking pix. I came in for 3-5 minutes as the core passed over the farm, due to high wind, horizontal rain, and zero feet of visibility. Then I went back out to get pix as the funnels headed toward Kenosha and Racine.

Here's a photo of the Kenosha funnel as it passed behind my shop, where Black Beauty was taking her long winter nap.

1-7-2008Tornado070.jpg

We lost a large limb from the big White Ash tree in the front yard, but no damage to any of the structures here at the farm. Nanomekanik's BF said his nieghbor, (in K-Town), watched the church across the street get demolished thru her front picture window.

Here's my photo of the Racine funnel forming. once it crossed the ridge I lost visibility.

1-7-2008Tornado064.jpg

...and one forming directly above the farm/my head.

1-7-2008Tornado075.jpg

1-7-2008Tornado042.jpg

Our ISP's main switching station is in Wheatland, (TDS), and our DSL has been out, just got on today, connection is shaky, at best.

We're all safe and sound, here at the farm, and appreciate your concern for our well-being.

Hey Randy,

Glad to see you made it! Those are great pictures. The weather sure is weird this year. Tornandos in winter. For me yesterday out on the road, driving thru dense fog in a rain storm. We get to 12" of snow on the ground and then it melts away, then we get 12" more and now that too is melted away. Two big thaws and we aren't even thru Jan. Maybe we will have spring early this year, one can only hope!Get the Reattas ready!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olbuickman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...The snow from December is almost gone... Frank</div></div>

Our snow is gone! My 8'+ snow banks are down to 1' and the freshly tilled fields are deep brown. Our well really needs replenishment, and I'm glad to see this melt-off soaking in.

Here's a few more pix from Monday...

1-7-2008Tornado055.jpg

1-7-2008Tornado052.jpg

1-7-2008Tornado018.jpg

Weather reports say it was an F-3 tornado which rolled thru Wheatland, more severe storms hit way south of WI. This storm is only the 2nd to hit WI since statehood in 1848.

The farm was settled in 1846, and our anti-bellum dairy barn shows evidence of being re-built around 1875, (possibly from being blown-down by such a storm), with a mix of hand-hewn and rough-sawn beams co-existing amongst the rafters and superstructure.

No Reattae were harmed in the storm, I just went out to remove a taillamp assembly, from the Claret/gray down in the spreader bay, under the barn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...Maybe we will have spring early this year... </div></div>

Don't start countin' those chickens just yet, Dave!

Forecasts are predicting more snow for THURSDAY, maybe even another FOOT by next Monday.

Actually, this storm was'nt such a big suprise for me, because of our un-seasonably warm temps in the past few days. Tornadoes can form with as little as 20-degree difference between upper and lower air masses. We had 55-67 degree temps, when just north of us was arctic (20-degree)cold air aloft. as this front rolled thru, the cold air mass aloft caused rapid inversion from warm air rising. The result is almost always tornadoes, or microbursts.

I've experienced both, (all), in our region, over the past 40 years. The '67 Belvidere tornado damaged my Uncle's house, and destroyed my other Uncle's farm. In the 90's one rolled over our house, and deposited my neighbor's pool fence atop my ElDorado, and Panik's caravan. The funnel which passed thru here, (the day after we bought the farm), took the roof off my silo, then headed toward K-Town, where it only ripped-up a large tree. I got pix of that funnel, too, as we were racing home down WI-50, thru the windshield of "Big Red" my '86 Chevy 4X4 K-truck, with Panik at the wheel, are shown below. The funnel is more evident when viewed in smaller size, or as thumbnail.

Tornadowarningjuly2005001.jpg

Tornadowarningjuly2005002.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

We went out this weekend to survey the damage ACCROSS THE STREET, because Notamekanik said the Google map of the Tornado showed the path ending at our house.

Sure enough, the trees just 50 yards accross the street from my driveway were trampled by the January '08 Tornado.

So, the previous pix ARE of the remainder of the funnel cloud which destroyed numerous homes nearby, and traversed across my house/shop/barn, over my head. I knew I heard the "Tornado sound" but never heard the clacking of the debris, as I took the pix.

AACA/Reatta post #9979!!