snaps used in carpet

Guest 1930

Ok here goes, I am among others things at this point trying to find out more info/pictures or better yet a sample of the snaps that held down the carpeted area on the rear portion of the car. Here is what I have been told my a fellow DA owner concerning these snaps...........They were standard snaps. The ones on the floor were male, brass, with about a 3/4" brass screw in the center into the wood floor. On the carpet, they were of course female, brass, with about six fold-over triangular tabs that poked through the carpet. You would not notice the folded-over tabs in the mat of the carpet. The carpet was a rough juted-backed material, bound around the edges.

I know this to be true as I came across photos of a car that I had documented in the past and unknowing to me at the time had taken pictures of the male end of the snap that was still in his floor. I can still see the imprints in my floorboard of where mine used to be. My trouble is the female end, I believe what I am looking for according the description that I have would be shaped like an octopus and its legs would be folded over into the carpet but I really need a picture/dimensions or as I had said better yet a sample. I am thinking maybe Victory sixes used these snaps, just a guess, maybe Dodge used these snaps in much earlier cars, I am sure other auto manufacturers would have used these also and I know alot of you people own other makes, does anyone recognize the description I have been given and possibly have one to photo or lend. It would be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure what the octopus snaps are, but my '24 Fisher coupe had carpet held in with snaps from the factory. All that's left is the male end, they are normal round snaps about 3/8 inch like has been used on convertible top covers for years. I'm sure McMaster-CArr has new ones. Every Fisher coupe I've looked at either has the male pieces or evidence of them being there, but no one I've found yet has a piece of original carpet to copy color, texture or edgeing.

The snaps I'm familiar with have a saucer shaped piece on the bottom of the carpet with a hole in the center that fits over the male snap piece. It is held onto the carpet by a ring with prongs that go through the carpet and fit through holes in the edge of the "saucer" and are then folded over. The ring itself becomes buried in the carpet nap, and is nearly invisible.

David D.

I have seen a carpet put down with what liked like the chrome, hammered-in furniture foot slides, about 1/2", Also saw one with oval, female, chrome,grommets on carpet and turn type males attached to wood floor. I would use neither, and go with regular round snaps.

Thanks for all the replies and yes I have also only seen the male ends, what I am interested in seeing is what David had mentioned ....It is held onto the carpet by a ring with prongs that go through the carpet and fit through holes in the edge of the "saucer" and are then folded over. The ring itself becomes buried in the carpet nap, and is nearly invisible.

I would like to see one from an early time period so that I can replicate it, do you have one???

The carpet I am assuming and feel pretty confident in thinking after reviewing some pictures I have of original cars would have been the same as used on footrest, please anyone correct me if I am wrong. Not sure when Dodge started using footrests, any ideas??

I see, that is maybe what the other memeber ( sorry dont know your name ) meant when they said McMaster-CArr . Never see this site, Thank- you, very helpfull

McMaster-carr is an industrial supply company that does carry some diferent snaps and tons of usefull stuff, but last time I searched their website this style of snap was not there. I went looking for the same snaps about 4 months ago and wound up buying them thru Mac's although they are available from all of the major Model T Ford part suppliers (Snyder's, Lang's, etc.). I might get around to installing them once the snow melts and I can get back into the shed...

The previous picture shows the snap with the prongs folded over. They would need to be straightened so that they can go through the carpet and then rolled back over. The following pictures are of the patent that was granted for this snap (based on the patent date embossed on the snap). I'll try to post a picture of the portion of the snap that is screwed into the floor.

post-31250-14313796357_thumb.jpg

post-31250-143137963573_thumb.jpg

post-31250-143137963576_thumb.jpg

Hi 1930: Restoration Specialties has an asst. of old stock carpet fasteners as well as new stock. They look and work just like the originals. They also have special type male fasteners that were used on some cars. Their number is 814-467-9842 and hrs. are Mon.-Fri.9:00 am-5:00pm Good Hunting Jim