Post # 1929 - Gotta talk about the '29 McLaughlin-Buick

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

On a number of other forums I belong to, interesting posts come out for a significant number like 100th, 500th, or 1000th. I'm not trying to start a tradition, but I noticed I was approaching the 20th century in posts and thought I'd put something together.

I figured I would mark my 1929th post with something of a tribute to my 1929 McLaughlin-Buick Model 51. Of course, if I get this one wrong, I’ve got 6 other years coming up to try and get it right.

In the spring of 2005, we received an e-mail as a result of my looking after the Manitoba Classic and Antique Auto Club web page from a family trying to settle an estate. I tried to help them out with the value of two cars their father owned and also put them in contact with someone who could help them out with a garage full of parts. They told me about a 1929 Buick and curiosity got the better of me. After a few phone calls and e-mails, we went to look at the car. Suzanne really liked the styling and we were able to agree to a price with the family. A cheque was written and the car was ours. I was able to get a bunch of information from Bill at the 1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club and he also put me in touch with the BCA technical advisor. I've learned a lot already, but have much to learn about these older Buicks. So far, all I have done other than gather information and a few parts is to move it from the yard it was in in rural Manitoba to a storage space that I rent.

I’m really looking forward to restoring this car for a number of reasons. One is that some things on it are simpler than on the newer cars, so I hope to be able to do more of the work myself. Also, my kids are soon to turn 8, 10, and 12, so I’m hoping to turn this into a bit of a family project. Also, it is simply a great car deserving of proper treatment. You don’t see many around, so I really want to get this one on the road and show it off. Additionally, this car was the first pre-war car we purchased, which is how we wound up getting involved with the BCA PreWar Division.

Here are a few photos of the car.

29front_passenger1.JPG

Delores_29_2.JPG

29front_seat19.jpg

29McLaughlin_hub7.JPG

29driverengine35.JPG

29grill7.JPG

Moving day with Ewing, Bryne, and myself:

29buick_guys_025.jpg

If all goes well, this coming spring / summer will see the car moved to the garage here at home so we can begin puttering on it.

Technical information about the car:

1929 McLaughlin Buick Model 51 Four Door Close Coupled Sport Sedan

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Drivetrain: 309.6 ci Inline 6, Sliding gear transmission [*]4.3:1 compression ratio, Marvel 3 jet updraft carburetor [*]Series 129, Model 29-51 [*]129 in wheelbase, 32 x 6.50 tires on 20 inch rims

[*]Factory price $1875, shipping weight 4230 lb, production total 7014 (total Buick production, not McLaughlin-Buick [*]Colour: believed to be the green combination of Boise Green and Ledo Green, Interior: Green [*]Options include: Front bumper, rear bumper, dual side mount spare tires, wide spoke artillery wheels

There's a lot of work to do, but it's in decent shape overall, just a couple spots of rust, and the wood is pretty good, so I've got something decent to start from. My thinking right now is that if the '56 doesn't find a new home, I'll probably trade places between the '29 and '56 in the spring so we can start tinkering. It would have been nice to have this car in better shape to take to the centennial of McLaughlin-Buick this summer, but getting the Wildcat ready for Rochester took priority.

There's probably a lot more I could add, but there are a few more photos at the '29's page and this thread in the "Me and My Buick" forum.

Good night and Buickful dreams everyone.

Derek,

Glad to see you re-arranged your priorities to get started on this car. Please feel free to ask questions during your restoration. My 29-116 series sedan was my first real restoration project and I will be more than glad to share some information, sources, etc.

Here is a shot of the car that now belongs to my son.

post-41092-143137958628_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143137958631_thumb.jpg

Nice Nice NICE!!! Both cars are absolutely GREAT!!!

Looks like not much difference between the USA and the Canadian version in terms of styling.

Hey Thriller, was just thinking, with the 4.3-1 compression ratio, and the horn mounted on the engine, that might convert nicely to a supercharger laugh.giflaugh.gif

JD

Guest imported_Thriller

Mark - my priorities haven't changed, it is just that circumstances dictated this year how things would go. We had our local car club meeting yesterday, and I chatted with a fellow whose son likes Buicks and he understands the shape the '56 is in, so perhaps it will move out of my hands. I didn't want to bring the '56 home, it was just that I could never coordinate between the two storage sites to get it moved from one to the other...oh well. With control over where both cars are now, I'll be able to make the swap after the snow is gone again.

JD...sigh. Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod Lincoln. grin.gif My intent is an essentially original car. It was really only in the early days that McLaughlin was building bodies. By the mid-twenties, the differences weren't much more than badging in many cases. That being said, if anything, the McLaughlin's were a touch higher end, from my understanding.

On another note, at the club meeting yesterday, I also heard tell of a 1917 Buick that's had some work done to it...the shed it's in is starting to collapse, so I'm going to have to talk to the owner soon about saving it. I'd hoped to do so yesterday, but ran out of time as we had to run off a bit early from the Christmas party. This same fellow is "holding" a '54 Skylark for another local...hmm.

a 17 and a 54 Skylark? sounds interesting. Not Richard is it? He had the remains of a 53 Skylark in his yard for a while. But I'm pretty sure that is gone now.

I heard a rumour that dad's 30 Model A Cabriolet may be for sale. That's the car that got this all started about 43 years ago. Gets one thinking.

Guest imported_Thriller

My bad...I stand corrected...for whatever reason, I thought it was a '54...perhaps because I wanted Lamar to call me a RASG grin.gif

• 10 years later...

I missed out on a really nice 29-57 - an exceptionally nice 4-door sedan. A friend passed on and I helped his wife find a new local home for the Buick - but wish I had the extra space - not that i NEEDED it, but it was just such an elegant and lovely big sedan...

On 10/31/2018 at 6:27 PM, KWalker said:

My family has a 1929 model 51 McClaughlin-Buick, almost entirely complete but in pieces. Haven’t seen a grill, has rust and wood rot. 

I should be able to get photos of the grill for you.  It is different from the American grill.  One has holes through for mounting the emblem while the other (I believe McLaughlin-Buick) had an emblem mounted on the light tie bar.

I’m away from home for the weekend so can’t do anything immediately.  Even then, the garage is a bit of a mess, so may take some time.  A couple of the new tires have gone flat...I believe it’s in the valve stems / extensions.

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 10:47 PM, KWalker said:

Thank you!! 

E2385F76-BA3E-4F4C-9937-6AAFABB94192.jpeg

I apologize that I completely forgot about this after getting home.  I will see if I can access well enough for a decent photo.  Anything that doesn’t move in our household eventually gets covered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, KWalker said:

That’s amazing. A forum precisely for the 1929. Thank you. 

Here you go.  Mine is missing the McLaughlin-Buick logo on the tie bar, but you will notice the mount for license plate and the script logo.  I believe someone in Australia had reproduced some a while back, but is likely out.  Ignore the fact that a bunch of stuff is painted silver...it’s the first year for exterior chrome on a Buick and the fellow doing the work was enthusiastic...I kind of like it and while I will eventually get the chrome work done, my intent is to look after other higher priorities first, like completing getting it on the road.

Note that Bill at the 29buick.ca site puts out a quarterly newsletter with lots of good technical and travel information.

295BBE30-DDBC-4770-A439-4D4C9B8A5774.jpeg

DF05D5A3-2724-4F4D-89EC-C18BBC041F7A.jpeg

Derek,

I suggest you email VintageReproductions@bigpond.com  

SPECIAL ORDERS

Specialty orders are available on request. Most Cast items can be reproduced, all enquiries are welcomed.  Special orders require 50% deposit before an order is commenced. The capability of  Investment Casting ( lost wax ), Precision Engineering and Toolmaking is also available from our company. Within Precision Engineering we can produce :-King pins, Shackle pins, Jack shafts, Water pump rebuilds,  in hardened steel and any machining jobs required. We also are able to produce Plastic Injection and Die Cast molding dies, multi stage Press Tools, jigs and fixtures from our toolmaking facilities.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1