Calif. DMV has given in!!

wenthur

Finally after 6 months and many letters a shovelful of cash the Ca. DMV has issued the issued me my original license plates for the "24 Touring. This I understand is a hard thing to do in Ca. I had to do complete restoration of plates. and they had to be inspected to make sure they meet the high standard that the inmates at the prisons produce. How are the standard in other states.

Guest 28SeniorSix

Congratulations, Wenthur. I just purchased a set of 1928 plates for my Senior Six. Any advice on dealing with the CA DMV would be very much appreciated. I have an appointment with them on Monday to assign the 28 plates to my vehicle. Prior to purchasing the plates, I visited my local DMV office. They were unfamiliar with the program for registering a vehicle with YOM plates. The clerk I spoke with at the DMV said I would have to use 1927 plates since my title papers indicate the vehicle was sold in 1927 even though it is a 1928 model year. I spoke with the DMV Special Processing Unit on the phone. They said the plates must correspond to the model year of the vehicle. They also said I cannot deal directlly with them and must submit the YOM plates request through my local DMV office. So, I am not sure what obstacles I might encounter from my local DMV office. The Special Processing Unit said the DMV field office should accept my application and forward it to them for their review and approval. I'll find out on Monday. Any tips or advice you have would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

First of all the plate year and tittle year must correspond, and the first time I had painted the plates myself, and did a real good job, these were not acceptable, so went to a pin stripper to have them painted, pictures were taken of plates and had to fill out YOM form. DMV sent all this in, and then it was returned to me with additional form to fill out, about 2 months later I got new registration card, with plate # and 2 small metal placards that are put on rear plate so current year and month sticker could be displayed without putting tag on plate.

Guest 28SeniorSix

Mike, thanks for the information. The 1928 plates I purchased are in very good shape with only small areas where the paint is chipped or worn off. I am hoping they will be acceptable to DMV without repainting.

Ken

Ken, your local sign painter more than likely can touch the chips up with no problem, Most pin strippers have juice cans of hundreds of colors they have mixed, and a good one can add a tad of this and a bit of that and match perfectly, also they use one shot paint which can be thinned or thickened so it will fill the chip also. Try to find an older sign painter that still paints and doesn't use vinyl. My guy could touch up in the time he smoked a cigarette. clean plate well so no oil or wax is on plate b4 you take it in.

I think that CADMV just wants the plates to be visible to the patrol vehicle.I have bought old plates for my 1933,1935,1937 Dodge Commercial and other 1937 Dodge comercial vehicle but not sure if they will be registerable by the script.What if there is another plate out there like mine?I have the correct titles for my trucks.

The DMV in my town is real small, and the lady in charge is known as the witch, so maybe that is the problem I had. I hope everyone else has a better experience when getting their plates registered. It is interesting to hear the differences people have,

I have a friend that moved from Oregon to Washington a few years ago and had problems getting his Bucket T hot rod registered. The solution is to try different offices. wenther is right. Sometimes they are hard headed and sometimes they can be alot of help.

My Desoto has a radical paint job and since I have already had the YOM plates registered I am going to follow the theme and paint my plates with some flames too. The cops are alot easier to get along with than the DMV.

DONT TELL ANYBODY WHAT I AM UP TO.

• 2 months later...
Guest 28SeniorSix

Mike, just an update to my previous post on this topic.  I also finally made it through the Calif. DMV requirements for registering a vehicle with Year Of Manufacture plates.  I now have original 1928 plates assigned to my '28 Senior Six.Ken

Rick, Thats why I need to keep it a secret. Do you really think they would tow me? The cops in my town in Oregon dont know much about hot rods and if you are not a maniac they pretty much look at the rest of the car in a jealuos way. I had an old Bentley that had an old farm plate assignd to it as it at least was the correct year. I had a plate made that looked like the British plates but had the farm plate number on it. I kept the farm plate in the trunk and ran the British look alike for 5 or six years and the only people that ever asked me about it were other enthusiests.

I rather like to ask for forgivness than permission...