Another victim of socal fires

ddbsocal

Guest imported_MrEarl

ddb, do you know the owner of this car or could you find out who it is. I think it would be nice to relate our sympathy to them somehow.

Those pics are why I am taking my 62 Buick if I have to evac. My wife will take the minivan with the kids. My daily driver, a 2004 Malibu with full coverage will be sacrificed. The fires are still quite crazy here on Camp Pendleton, so we are ready to go, just waiting for the word.

Guest rlbleeker

We lost a '67 Skylark to wildfire is '90, saved my '63 Impala. Guy down the street lost a very nice '55 Special. The second one in '96 almost got the shop (with my '61 MGA in it) luckily I was home. Had another one about 3 weeks ago less than 1/2 mile from the house, thankfully the wind pushed it the other way. Our cars now live in all steel buildings which I am confident will survive the next fire.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Shaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photo #31..... </div></div>

I don't know what photos you guys are looking at but it's neither #26 or 31...........

anyway, I feel sorry for the folks that are going through this hardship. What I can't understand is, they keep building in the same areas........I'd be out of there in a heartbeat!

I think a lot of the problem is over building in an area that was not ment to support so many homes. The more dewellings there are, the more water that is required to maintain them. Also today we have so many more household items that require so much more water than in years gone by. The water table out there must be at all time record lows and reserviors must also be very low. I would think this must in some way affect the weather and the amount of rain fall. It wasn't that many years ago that there was drought conditions out in the west and it seems to have never really recovered to the level of the 1960's and earlier years. In some ways we seem to have so much more quantity than ever and yet, at the same time, we seem to have less quality of the same. The Big Question is.... Are we over building ourselves out of exsistance? That "Big old farm house" that I knew as a child somehow doesn't seem so big anymore..... The More You Know, The Less You Need. frown.gif Dave!

Oh yeah, The photos seem to be bumping up as new ones are added! Dave!

Guest Skyking

I think the problem California will face is what Florida is facing now..........Insurance!! Not too many companies whats to take on that risk anymore. My Florida mobile home insurance is greater than my new 6 room Rhode Island home. shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the problem California will face is what Florida is facing now..........Insurance!! </div></div>

And if it is not from the place burning, it is from massive mud slides pushing homes down a hillside that was never ment to be built on.

(Oh yes, didn't you read the fine print, It was an "ACT of GOD". Therefore you are not covered and we don't need to pay!) The Insurance Companys have been getting fat and rich for years off of your hard earned money and in times like these there is always loop holes to get out of covering loses. mad.gif Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's also another proverbial quote.....THE MORE YOU WANT, THE LESS YOU HAVE.</div></div>

This goes hand in hand with Quantity and Quality.....

Recently I have looked at some new construction going up in my area. It seems that much of the building materials are trash compared to what we built with in the 60's,70's, and earlier. Try to find an almost knotless two by four today. Holmes use to be sided with plywood instead of partical board. Real hard wood floors are almost a thing of the past. Pluming has gone to plastic instead of copper. Even many have plastic siding and the cry is that we are running out of oil??? And what is up with these 15 and 16 foot ceilings? Nothing but an energy hog. I bet those who live in these dewelings are feeling the heat now that oil prices are skyrocketing. An old farm house that held a family of 8 or 10 in the 1900's is small in comparison to these hughes holmes that are being built today for two or three people. Yes 1953MACK, I'll agree with that statement! Dave!

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Therefore you are not covered and we don't need to pay!) The Insurance Companys have been getting fat and rich for years off of your hard earned money and in times like these there is always loop holes to get out of covering loses. mad.gif Dave! </div></div>

Sure, these people are running companies to make money......God forbid they lose any!

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pluming has gone to plastic instead of copper. Even many have plastic siding and the cry is that we are running out of oil??? And what is up with these 15 and 16 foot ceilings? Nothing but an energy hog. I bet those who live in these dewelings are feeling the heat now that oil prices are skyrocketing. </div></div>

Plastic will outlast copper. If copper isn't cleaned at the joints with soap & water it will rot through. I don't think many plumbers in the old days cleaned their joints. As far as heat, all new homes are so well insulated that it cost less to heat a new home, even with high ceilings.

Guest imported_Thriller

On the topic of homes...our house has tax records going back to 1903...fir lumber (hard like a bugger), some hardwood floors, and fir plank flooring. Seeing as it has stood for over 100 years on a stone foundation in a climate that goes from -40 C in the winter to +40 C in summer, that says a lot.

Try finding a straight 2x4 in a lumber yard any more.

soapbox.gif

Now if there is one thing I get frustrated with, it is the constant silliness of building where we shouldn't. I don't know everything, but LA is essentially in the desert...and trying to find a source for an insatiable demand for water. In the southern Canadian prairies, there is an area known as Palliser's Triangle, where the explorer David Palliser declared it essentially desert and nothing would grow there...so the land was broken and poor crops are grown on poor land, increasing demand for irrigation and fertilizer. We are too busy cutting down timber to see the forest for the trees.... There was a time when society had a lot more common sense...don't build on flood plains, and the like. Then we complain about weather / climate changes. Oy.

Sorry for the all over the place rant...it just comes blathering out every now and again.

Yes, It is said that plastic in the ground, or out of day light and away from UV rays will last for many years.... But in light it gets brittle and cracks easily. I would like to see the results in 100 years. And with high ceilings heat rises. Much of the heat is in unused space. To counter act this, ceiling fans are installed to push the heat down. Now we are using electric that we should not have to. Yes I would agree holmes are more efficant than in the old days, but with some thought in design they could be super efficant by building them without wasted space. Dave!

I'm with you thriller. I live in a very modest 100 + year old home (Built in 1903) that was once a one room school house. I pulled up some of the old floor covering in one room and found nice old hard wood floors. Someday I would like to uncover the rest of them. It is time to down size the "building bigger is better" way of thinking in this age. And building in areas that we should not, should not be done. Dave!