Under The Hood Question

HRP

Information and advice would be appreciated.

'91 Reatta Convertible

There is an apparant air deflector located across the top of the engine near the firewall. It abutts the weatherstripping at the back end of the engine compartment.

My question: what type of fasteners hold this in place. Over the years the 2 original ones seem to have "disappeared" during the servicing, etc. Are these exclusively GM or can I pick them up at any auto parts store?

Thanks,

Dick

I'm not sure this is an air deflector, but more of a gasket that is supposed to contact the hood when it is down to prevent engine compartment odors from being sucked into the heater/ac intake near the cowl. If I recall, and I'm just being too lazy to check, it is just a pressure or squeeze fit onto something in the compartment. If you couldn't find it, you could probably fashion something out of a door sweeper gasket or similar.

Guest steveskyhawk

I'm missing one of those fastners too. The dealer doesn't have them. Help anyone? The dealer I went to advised that the part numbers were:

1637234-retainer

25515544-nut

I'm looking for a pair of these too. Help please.

Y'all,

Thanks for the info. If my local auto parts store doesn't have something that will work, I think I'll hit my local Home Depot and get a couple of regular wingnuts, washers, etc that will fit. It seems like the simplest option since it's 1/2 mile away and the Buick dealer is a 30 minute drive. They may even have them in black (as stove bolts).

Dick

Guest ChevroletR

I snatched two of those larger black plastic "push pins" or plastic retainers from our parts bin and ground two flats on them to fit in the rectangular slot. When you push the head of it down, the bottom expands. I tried to find a picture, but I could only find a picture of the "Christmas tree" looking ones with individual small ears. They might work too if you get one large enough. Before that though, I havn't had any holding the cowl panel for a while and never had a problem.

Ryan

If you go to a Chysler dealer you can get them and they work fine. The only difference is that they don't have a wing nut head, it is a screwdriver head. They are used to hold the trim panel under the steering column on. They are used on Caravans etc from the middle/late '90s.

Guest steveskyhawk

Got my fasteners from vintageparts.org as I posted above. I installed them the other day as soon as they arrived and they were perfect. Not cheap but perfect!