1930 Model A Rumble Seat

Greg Cook

Trunk to Rumble Seat conversions are done all the time. It's not too hard and can make for a nice small project.

One word of advice- seek out original rumble seat hinges. The repros are not that good.

Somewhere in my files I have a couple of articles on the conversion. I'll dig them up and post them.

If you go to sell your old trunk hardware(hinges, slide bracket that keeps the lid up etc) keep me in mind.

I'm doing a '31 Standard Roadster and am needing some original trunk hardware.

• 13 years later...
On 10/7/2007 at 1:16 PM, Greg Cook said:

Is there a way to convert the trunk to a rumble seat? I have a 1930 Standard Coupe and am wondering if I can convert the trunk to a rumble seat. I want to maintain the integrity of the car.

Thanks

Greg

The major parts that you will need are, the hinge kit, rumble seat stops, rumble seat stop braces and of course the seat springs and upholstery . The biggest thing you will need is the curved, rear, inner panel. It is different than the trunk inner panel. The panel is riveted in and the rivets will need to be drilled out and the new panel riveted in. Several smaller things such as the rubber bumpers, rumble lid aligning plates, step plates, step plate brackets, rumble latch striker plate, hardware and rumble grab rails. All of this is available in reproduction so plan on having to "tweak" most of it. The lid itself will need to be drilled to accommodate the rumble handle and the latch installed and the trunk hole welded in. It's not a weekend job. If you can find an original inner panel (good luck) I would get it, as the reproduction sheetmetal leaves a lot to be desired.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, 46 woodie said:

The major parts that you will need are, the hinge kit, rumble seat stops, rumble seat stop braces and of course the seat springs and upholstery . The biggest thing you will need is the curved, rear, inner panel. It is different than the trunk inner panel. The panel is riveted in and the rivets will need to be drilled out and the new panel riveted in. Several smaller things such as the rubber bumpers, rumble lid aligning plates, step plates, step plate brackets, rumble latch striker plate, hardware and rumble grab rails. All of this is available in reproduction so plan on having to "tweak" most of it. The lid itself will need to be drilled to accommodate the rumble handle and the latch installed and the trunk hole welded in. It's not a weekend job. If you can find an original inner panel (good luck) I would get it, as the reproduction sheetmetal leaves a lot to be desired.

If this:

1578042195_TopRests.jpg.660f1495069d94805df4daa2d197dfa3.jpg

is what you mean by "rumble grab rails", there's no such thing, although they're commonly and mistakenly called (and used as) that.  But they're rests to support the bows when the top is folded, as evidenced by them being factory-installed only on roadsters both with and without rumble seat but not on coupes with rumble seat.

Step plates were originally installed only on the passenger side fender and bumper, i.e., only one bracket.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have owned several Model A's, so I know exactly what you are talking about CH, but they really do help getting into and out of the rumble seat. Most people just grab anything that is available when they step up to enter the seat area and the top rests help, especially with older people and kids. It's almost comical watching people get into the rumble seat. Most just step from the fender top step plate onto the seat and grab the top of the rumble lid and kind of "squirm in".

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, 46 woodie said:

I have owned several Model A's, so I know exactly what you are talking about CH, but they really do help getting into and out of the rumble seat. Most people just grab anything that is available when they step up to enter the seat area and the top rests help, especially with older people and kids. It's almost comical watching people get into the rumble seat. Most just step from the fender top step plate onto the seat and grab the top of the rumble lid and kind of "squirm in".

No argument top rests are helpful - just pointing out they aren't original on coupes as OP said he wants to maintain the car's integrity, which I interpret as originality.  For that matter, only a few Model A body styles had factory rumble seats - there probably are more now than Ford ever produced.

Another comical thing about getting in a Model A rumble seat is starting with the wrong foot.  Most people are "right-footed" but you have to put your left foot on the bumper step.  Otherwise you end up with it on the fender step and your right foot dangling in midair.  Then you have to do a 90-degree pirouette to step into the seat.  🤣

I've owned a Model A with a factory rumble seat and will never have another.  They may be "cute" but they're awkward to get into/out of, and a good way to get your paint scratched up in the process.  They're open to heat, cold and wet, and they eliminate the trunk - not much luggage space in a Model A to start with.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1