elec fan

rybikowsk

Try Scotts Mfg. Co., 25520 Stanford Avenue, Suite 304, Valencia, CA 91355-4720 (661) 295-9340

Even tho' my car doesn't overheat, believing in belt and suspenders approach to safeguard the engine in case i got caught in some traffic snarl on the hottest day of the year, i installed one of their 6-volt cooling fans. It's all but invisible, simple installation. I've never had to use it.

Dave K./Clipper '47's correct. If your cooling system's in good shape, you'll never need one. It's amazing how many vintage car folk will take their radiators to an allegedly savvy shop, which merely pinches off the offending tube. Problem solved, until hot day traffic.

So, make sure a l l your tubes clear, and flush your cooling system with a box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda). Run the car a few miles, get the engine hot, and drain.

After the block cools a bit, flush with garden hose. If you can keep the engine on fast idle, let water drain from the rear of the block while you "balance" the amount going into the radiator.

Flush thoroughly. Fill with soft water---NOT distilled water, which leaches minerals, including solder--and add a decent product like NoRosion or Redline Rust & Corrosion Inhibitor.

Unless your car'll be exposed to sustained hard freeze, avoid antifreeze like the plague. Another exception would be if your car has air conditioning; even in LA or Phoenix, you need perhaps 15-20% if you've got AC.

Unless you've got something with inherent heating problems, like a 1936-37 Cord or Jaguar, in which case a fan shroud helps, providing your thermostat's the correct temperature and working, you should be fine.

I had a new core put in the radiator,i pulled the distrabution tube, it looked like new with no deposits.did a lot of flushing new hoses a couple of new thermostats, found the timeing retarded, disconnected the vacuum advance as the book reccomendes. set at 6 checked all valve clearance put a different fan belt on, one which rides down further in the groove,faster turning fan,etc etc I dont know what else to do except put on a fan. This car was supposed to have been restored, so very very many things were done wrong, I am getting an education on how many ways a restoraton can be messed up.I will get it fixed with you good folks help. I am getting tired of walking home and paying to have it towed. best regards. michael r

Mike, I don't see in you post that you checked or replaced the water pump. Could this be the problem? I know it is also a big job but if you knock out the freeze plugs you might get a better idea about corrosion in the block. Also have you tried just using water with rust inhibitor in place of antifreeze? Maybe a fan will help but the car should not be running hot without one.

I had to pull the waterpump to check the distrabution tube and to look inside of that part of the block. the pump was very smooth in turning with no slop. I did buy a set of freeze plugs,thinking about who I bought them from, I am going to do a lot of checking before I knock a old one out.I guess I will try that after I get old tow along running again.thanks to all,you are the greatest. michael r

The aaa membership sounds like the thing to do. I have allready paid out 150.00 towing in the last month.I had another example of the gods having a sense of humor. just the week before I had the first tow, I had cancelled all insurance that did include towing. I just kept libility on my five tagged vehicles. 91 lexus ls400,95 gmc sonoma pickup.95 moto guzzi calf.motor cycle, 2001 russian ural sidecar motorcycle. untagged is a 1991, alfa romeo 164.and there is just the lab and me, and she dosn,t drive.

Also the towing service is also good if the member is only a passenger in the car. However you can't tow vehicles for just sending a car to a shop. I did once have a 48 chevy truck that I asked for a tow for to a shop I was going to have some work done on it. I told the AAA operator that I couldn't start it. She asked if it had ever started and I said yes. When the tow truch driver got at my place he found a 48 chevy truck with no seats seering gear, no drive shaft etc. I haven't done that in awhile though. Last winter I spent $150 each on 2 tows to get my car to the upholstery shop. During the driving season this year I didn't have to be towed once which is great and I hope to keep it that way. smile.gif