Starting from square one: 1923 Touring Car

Guest bkrystad

Guest bkrystad

Just joined tonight, as my brothers and I are going to be taking on our grandfather's 1923 Buick Touring Car this October.

The car sat in a barn/garage for 40 years, then in a storage unit for five more. The top is shot, but the body is good and the crank turns in the original engine. Our uncle accumulated a grab bag of parts, as well as a hulk for the complete drive train and a third engine on top of that. Plus five extra wheels.

So we have a lot to work with, but we need a jump to get started. I know the general drill on restorations but only with postwar British sports cars (Austin Healey 100). So I'm interested in how to map what I know alongside what I don't.

Where can I go for the best documentation about what a 1923 Buick Touring Car should look like, if there is any? (British cars are pretty well over-documented, so maybe I'm expecting too much.)

What are the areas of the car that we should watch out for, that are especially prone to complications or dangerous deterioration from age?

What are the gotchas about this particular model (engine, fuel, electrical) that are going to drive us nuts as we try to figure them out?

Just a few questions to get started. Any pointers, references, observations welcome. Thank you!

-Byron

Guest bkrystad

It is the 4cyl model, thanks!

I'm going to see it today in storage and will take plenty of pictures, I'll post some this evening along with questions (along the lines of "what the heck is this?").

-Byron

Guest bkrystad

Okay, spent an hour at the storage locker and took some shots (not very good, there's no interior light) but you can get the gist of what there is to start with.

One quick question to start: What are differences between the 1922 and 1923 drive trains that we should watch out for if we try swapping from the two donor blocks?

Here's a link to a Picasa web album.

1923 Buick Touring

Guest imported_Thriller

Neat car...good luck with the project.

As far as I can tell from the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span>, the '22 and '23 4 cylinder engines are the same. The book lists different carbs, but that is it.

Probably the biggest potential headache with cars of this era is the wood work underlying / supporting the body. If that is mostly there and in good shape, then you are probably OK. I'm not an expert though.

Hi.The first to do is to bay a Shop Manual or Motor Car Operation and Care for your 1923 4cyl.Buick.As Triller say the Engine looks the same and I think the drive line is the same too.But the body all over are a little bit different but looks the same.The radiator is lower as well as the hood,the doors what I remember are shoter on 1922,headlamps are differen,V-shape on 1922.The engine from 1924 are the same as I know as 1923.The frame are stright over the rear axle on 1922 too.

Good Luck Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143137949365_thumb.jpg

Guest bkrystad

Anyone have any leads on a 1923 Buick 4cyl Shop Manual?

All I can find is an Owner's Manual on autolit.com (no description) and an Owner's Manual (in Spanish) on eBay. The Spanish one says it is 16 pages, is that the only original document available?

I'm interested in something a little more substantial, if there is anything.

Patience is the word for that.You have to look at E-Bay at list a couple of times every week and you will find the book you are looking for,next week or a coupe of weeks later.Or search on this forum ,and I`m quite sure you find the books you need.

There are a lot of nice people on this forum how wants to help you with a book and your restauration.

Leif in Sweden.

• 2 weeks later...