Radial vs. Bias Ply

Mickey McChesney

I need to replace the original 855x14 Bias ply tires on my '68 Delta 88. I know the optional tire was a radial 225x15 but was considering putting on 225x14 radials as I don't want to buy the 15 inch wheels. Can I expect as good performance with the 14 inch radials? Or, would I be better served to get a set of correct reproduction 855x14 bias ply tires? Plan to show the car as unrestored or HPOF. will only be driving the car 1500-2500 miles per year.

Mickey

Radials handle better and have better traction. Radials also wear better. If they were an option in 68 and you can verify it you will not lose show points. I thought radials came out in the early 70's. But I was in Juiner High school at that time. Bias ply tires are easy to spin for burnouts and make a wonderfully loud sqealing sound. Mike

OK- what brand? I've heard some say it was Michelin, others that it was the BFG Police Pursuit Radial, which is why I put Radial T/A (direct descendant of the PPR) on my 69, and promptly lost points.

Not only lost points, but got scolded by a Toronado judge whose jaw later dropped when I was introduced as an OCA Director at that year's Nationals awards banquet.

Hey, I only lost BOC 14B by 20 points because of the tires...

As far as I know Cooper still makes a whitewall size 225x14 radial. I have em on my 66 Delta 88 and they look good and handle much better than the bias ply tires I replaced. They also ride much better and softer. I could not find a H-78x14 bias tire that had a look of a 60's tire. The 825x14 repro tires are very narrow.

As cheap as steel wheels are, get a set of 15" wheels, hang the appropriate size radial tires (225 or 235 70R15 should be OK) and run them for everything except judged meets. Use your original 14" wheels with the appropriate bias tires for the important shows. When it comes to driving the your 88-98 series Olds, the radials are infinitely better. (put gas shocks on too, peel the labels and paint them the correct color)

Here's the wheel trim options for '68 full size cars. Examples can be seen in the thread where we talked about that Oldsmobile bumper nameplate the other day.

All full size cars came with the standard 14" P01 full wheel discs. In the other thread, these discs are shown on your dark green coupe.

If a full size car was equipped with disc brakes or radial tires, then it came with standard 15" wheels. Standard trim for these wheels was 15" trim rings and a small hub cap (the same cap used on the '66 Toros).

An optional disc for full size cars was the 14" P02 deluxe full disc. In the other thread, there is a link in the very first post to a light green coupe. This car wears the P02 discs.

There was also a deluxe disc available for the 15" wheels, option code N94. Same disc as P02, but larger. These are kinda rare.

The third optional disc was the 14" N95 simulated wire disc. This disc was only available for the 14" wheel. These can be seen in the thread on my car, the light green 4 door. These discs were not available on 98s due to the center of the disc clearing the fender skirt, but I have seen 98s with them added.

The parts book lists a Super Stock wheel for '68 88 models. It is a different number than the one listed for F-85 models. I have seen factory preliminary photos of '67 88s with '68 style Super Stock II wheels, but from what I understand they were cancelled before going to production. My '68 SPECS book is a revised edition, dated January, 1968. On the back it lists revisions since the September, 1967 issue. One of those reads:

"Discontinuance of Option P05, Super Stock Wheels, for 88 models."

Here's the link to the bumper nameplate thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/103986/Number/447696#Post447696

Paul

• 1 month later...