55 Century windshield wiper conversion

I would like to convert the vacuum operated windshield wipers on my 1955 Century to electric. Has anyone done this? Is there a conversion kit available? What all is involved in this modification? Are there electric motors from Chevy/Olds/Pontiac that would fit? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Guest imported_Thriller

Bob,

The windshield wiper on my '62 Special died - we just replaced it with a generic one. They are out there, so I'm sure you shouldn't have too much trouble putting something together.

As to getting it to work with wipers that are normally operated by vacuum, I'm afraid I have no experience with that.

I would try taking the unit apart for a good cleaning and lube job before anything else. Watch how the little valve pieces go in and be careful of the thin paper gasket under the top lid, otherwise a very simple evening project. If it is more serious inside, send it to the pros for a rebuild.

Also check your vac lines to be sure they are good.

FInally, if it is only working so-so, the vacuum side of the fuel pump may be out. This is often overlooked when the fuel pump is rebuilt, and not hard to do yourself with the proper kit.

I say keep it stock. Like the Dynaflow, it's all part of the car's personality, which has almost vanished anymore. How often are you driving in the rain anyway?

Happy wrenching,

• 2 months later...

I'm facing the same issue on my '56 Century. Despite the drought, I think it <span style="text-decoration: underline">will</span> eventually start raining here in NC...

My concern with my vacuum system is that there are so many possible points of failure. I know my fuel pump doesn't work (I'm using electric), to be honest I don't know if the vacuum side is working (I need to check on that first, I guess), I'm not sure I have no leaks in my hoses, I have no idea if the switch/valve in the dash is working, etc...

For a daily driver the electric conversion sounds like a simple long-term solution (I assume it is a simple bolt-in replacement?), especially since I'm currently garage-less and limited to one small toolbox.

The link provided for conversion kits is for Classic Motor World. Has anyone here bought and installed their product? How did it work out?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest century55

my name is danny from michigan.i have a 55 century and would like to go to elec. is it worth my time == how hard is it to do? thank you .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After reading all these replies I still have a question.

I take it all of you guys are running off of engine vacuum with no assist?

What I mean to say is I have a 1957 Buick and it has a vacuum assist pump attached to the engine oil pump inside of the pan. A line goes through the block and up to the vacuum wiper motor mounted onto the firewall.

Does anyone of you have a 57 and if so, would not this oil pump mounted vacuum pump need to be working well before one would send out the firewall mounted wiper motor to be overhauled?

I have a post out on this topic already, so I won't beat it to death, but if anyone knows where I can get mine rebuild, it would be cherished. Then I will send my fire wall mounted wiper motor out to be rebuilt!

Thanks in advance.

David