After looking at the great info on the United Motors sign thread, I thought I'd start another one about signs in general - post a pic of your favorite, or latest find. Mine is attached - it's from England of course but since I have an early Triumph motorcycle, I just had to have this sign to go with it. Pretty neat with that trumpet laced through the letters.

Terry

post-30751-143137940509_thumb.jpg

Wayne, what I really said is that my scotch flask doesn't leak!!! Actually, it is a well known fact that fine British machinery is known to "ooze character." We all know that if there is nothing to repair on a British car (or motorcycle), it is merely resting.

I once displayed my 1912 Triumph along side a 1913 restored by a friend in NY - I think it was several years ago at the Natl Meet up in Johnstown PA. We spent the day starting the engines and showing off to the crowod, explaining the history of them and the differences between 1912 and 1913. At the end of the day, they had both leaked out the exact same amount of oil, and it was splayed out in the identical pattern for both bikes. Amazing that British engineering!

It's also called a "total loss" oiling system. The British engineers have gone one better than most-you don't have to drain off the old oil at the end of a run, it just slowly oozes away.

Back to the topic though - I'm always curious about how people got started colleclting what they collect. For my signs, it all started in Scotland (thanks to the US Navy). It was back in about 1974 I think - we were very involved with the old cars there, driving our 1935 Morris 8 (still got it!). Stopped one day by an old gas station to get a photo of the car beside an old Castrol Motor Oil sign. The owner came out, struck up a conversation, and ended up giving us the sign. Only later did I learn that a lot of folks in the car club had tried to buy it. I learned the best approach is to just make a friend rather than going straight to the merchandise.

Here's a pic of my 1st old sign (still got that too!)

post-30751-143137940828_thumb.jpg

just filling space? We should fill space with something useful like another nice sign. This one is currently on display up at the AACA Library & Research center with some of my spark plug collection (no doubt a future topic here).

Terry

post-30751-14313794161_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Bond</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm always curious about how people got started colleclting what they collect. </div></div>

I am a long-term art collector that ran out of room for indoor art and started collecting outdoor sculpture. Rolling sculpture fit the bill but space became a strong consideration. I limited my collecting to things with the "Continental" name. Unfortunately most things that bear the Continental name are rather large.

Do you have any pictures of signs from the short-lived Continental Division of Ford Motor Company? I believe most Ford fans have seen the pictures of the front of the Continental Division factory but I've never seen any dealer signs, or the like.

Signs too, a few hood ornaments, factory china... Anything automotive. My wife thinks there should be an AA devoted to this addiction. It started as a boy because I loved to go to work with my dad, who owned a used car lot & body shop. He would go to the junk yards on Saturday so he could be at the shop durring the week, and the guys running the yards thought it was cute that I wanted the emblems. As a teenager I worked in the shop for 1/2 the labor of the jobs I did. I could do brakes like a pro by the time I was 12, and I'd use the money to buy emblems. Soon I had a hard time finding ones I didn't have when I found a watch fob in the shape of an emblem. From there I got into ash trays, letter openers, lapel pins and the avalanch just kept going and going...

post-32809-143137941694_thumb.jpg

Wayne, You would have better luck going for the signs, unless you want to get me killed by the wife. It's not burled at all, it is Eastlake chip-carved ash or white oak with a honey colored finish and white marble top on the dresser & dry sink. Came from central PA on-site auction where we felt like thieves as we packed "papa's" bedroom set into the truck, seems the family did not think that the feud they were having would result in someone outside the family buying all of the heirlooms... I was there to see what was in the barn from which I bought a pair of rear wheels for a Duryea that I later sold/traded to a hubcap collector for some emblems.