Seriously considering a Reatta, a few questions.

KDirk

Hello,

New to this forum but would like to say that from what I've already read here, it looks like a great group of dedicated and helpful owners. Anyway, onto the major piece of business.

I have long thought the Reatta was a really neat car, and just recently started looking for something to buy as a second car, just for enjoyment. My daily driver is a 1995 Cadillac Deville (great car by the way!) and I had been looking at 98-01 Eldorados as a possible 2nd car. Then last week, I saw a Reatta parked at a restaurant I was leaving and kind of gave it a look over. This, needless to say, re-sparked my interest in this unique vehicle. I was not aware of the history of the model, and was quite surprise by some of what I found out here and elsewhere.

I have spent much of the past few days reading almost everything on Reatta.net, and almost 20 pages of posts on here to get an idea of the quirks, benefits and so forth related to the Reatta.

Now, I guess my questions are:

1. I am primarily interested in the 90 or 91, I prefer this interior/gauge setup over the 88/89 version (no offense intended to those of you who like the early model better!). Is the standard 4 speed auto in the 90 better/worse/same than the electronic used in 91? I ask this because I have the 4T60E in my 95 Deville, and it is a great transmission. I have read that the earlier years of this tranny are more problematic, which makes me think the 90 might be a better choice. A replacement or rebuild would likely be less expensive is my rationale.

2. How comfortable is this car? Obviously, I expect some bias in answering this as we are on a Reatta forum, but objectively speaking, is it more comfortable space and ride quality wise than most 2 seat sport-lux coupes? Put another way, should I expect to be treated to a harsh, cramped ride or is it more like a typical Buick (softer/comfortable) and just more nimble? How would you compare it with an Eldorado, which I know is in different class of car based on size at least.

Bear in mind that I have not (as of today) had a chance to sit in one, much less test drive so I am coming at this from a slight disadvantage. Also, I am 5'10", normal weight so I am not a very large guy who would be apt to feel cramped in a reasonably sized space. As well, how would you rate leg room comfort? I will be on the lookout for one being sold locally (St. Louis, MO) in the hope that I can try the fit for myself in the next few weeks.

3. Aside from cosmetic/glass parts that are unique only to the Reatta, are most parts readily available either AC/Delco or Original GM? Seems the 3800 enigne should be a non-issue here, as it is a very common motor, and I see a lot of things (interior door release handle, lock switch, actuator, glove box latch just for starters) that are the very same parts as my Deville so I know these kinds of items are easily obtained. Overall, how difficult is it to keep these on the road without having to scrounge for critical components? I don't mind paying for new parts for engine/suspension/brakes to make sure things are done right, so salvage yards are usually my last resort for anything that is still available as a new part.

4. Paint. I have read much about the special paint process used at the Craft Centre, but I am wondering if some colors hold up better than others. I am probably going to want white with a red or tan interior (gray would be fine too if the former 2 are too difficult to find) but have not ruled out other colors entirely. My worry here is the infamous early 90's clear coat peel that plagues so many other GM products of that era. Most seem to be dark colors, and I wonder if this is just my perception or if there really is a pattern to this.

So, I think that's it. Sorry for being so long winded. I will start looking around to see what's for sale that catches my interest but I am in no rush to buy; I want to do this right and I can hold out for the right color/condition/miles etc. since this would be a second car for me. I would rather wait for the right car than jump into a problem - and that's one of the main reasons I am considering the Reatta over the Eldorado at the moment. Seems like many Eldo's have problems with the Northstar - and this has me spooked.

Many thanks in advance to those who reply!

KDirk

EDBSO-

You have summed up my fears about the last gen Eldo (97-02) with all the [potential] problems it'd make me sick if I bought one and had all (or even a few) of the aforementioned issues. I love Cadillacs, and they can be had for an incredible deal because of the depreciation, but the more I look at and read about the Reatta, I'm leaning heavily that way.

Besides, it is a head turner (as so many have pointed out) with it's unique good styling and very low number out there, it is something that not "everybody else" is driving. I kind of like that. And, they are a deal IMHO (at least the hard tops, convertibles getting pretty spendy these days). Add to that the fact that it is so old now, that the personal property taxes are almost nothing and I would be exempt from emissions testing (in MO) becuase effective Sept 1, only 1996 up (obd II) cars will be required to test.

I appreciate your input on this.

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

I like the Reatta's there fun, sporty, and get attention everywhere. The ride is decent, not as good as a true luxury car, but not as bad as your other sports cars (4 wheel independent suspension helps) I have a 90 that is burgandy and don't have any issues with the clear coat. The upkeep is a little bit much on them though, they are 16+ year od cars so things do go bad here and there. If I were to buy any Reatta I would buy a 1991 because it has the Tuned port injection, electronic trans, and it has a "normal" brake system, but I am still happy with my 90, I wouldnt be selling it if there wasnt a need for a back seat car.....and you don't need to take out the engine to replace a head gasket or remove the intake manifold to replace a starter =P

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

New to this forum but would like to say that from what I've already read here, it looks like a great group of dedicated and helpful owners. Anyway, onto the major piece of business.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Welcome to the board. </span>

I have long thought the Reatta was a really neat car, and just recently started looking for something to buy as a second car, just for enjoyment. My daily driver is a 1995 Cadillac Deville (great car by the way!) and I had been looking at 98-01 Eldorados as a possible 2nd car. Then last week, I saw a Reatta parked at a restaurant I was leaving and kind of gave it a look over. This, needless to say, re-sparked my interest in this unique vehicle. I was not aware of the history of the model, and was quite surprise by some of what I found out here and elsewhere.

I have spent much of the past few days reading almost everything on Reatta.net, and almost 20 pages of posts on here to get an idea of the quirks, benefits and so forth related to the Reatta.

<span style="font-weight: bold">These cars do have quirks, as you've found, but the good thing is that if its happened, its happened to someone else before, so lots of issues are straight forward and easy to fix. great number of Reattas you'll find for sale, however, are going to need work now and then. They are getting close to 20 years old. It helps a lot if you're inclined to doing your own work, even if its just for minor things.</span>

Now, I guess my questions are:

1. I am primarily interested in the 90 or 91, I prefer this interior/gauge setup over the 88/89 version (no offense intended to those of you who like the early model better!). Is the standard 4 speed auto in the 90 better/worse/same than the electronic used in 91? I ask this because I have the 4T60E in my 95 Deville, and it is a great transmission. I have read that the earlier years of this tranny are more problematic, which makes me think the 90 might be a better choice. A replacement or rebuild would likely be less expensive is my rationale.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd say both the 4T60/440-T4 and the 4T60E are reliable units. Maybe a tiny bit of favor for the 4t60E, but we haven't had any issues with the 6 4t60's we've had. My car's at 172k miles, and spent 20k of those with a sueprcharger. Our '90 convertible has 196k, and I believe it to still be original. I'd perform a flush and filter change with any unit you get, but I'd say they're about equal. Keep in mind though that a '90 has the much more reliable and simple Bosch ABS instead of the Teves system. And they're worth more due to their low production numbers. The good thing though is that we've got the Teves system pretty well figured out (better than most Buick dealer service departments) so don't worry if you find a '90 you like. BTW, are you going for a coupe or convertible? Our drop top is for sale.</span>

2. How comfortable is this car? Obviously, I expect some bias in answering this as we are on a Reatta forum, but objectively speaking, is it more comfortable space and ride quality wise than most 2 seat sport-lux coupes? Put another way, should I expect to be treated to a harsh, cramped ride or is it more like a typical Buick (softer/comfortable) and just more nimble? How would you compare it with an Eldorado, which I know is in different class of car based on size at least.

<span style="font-weight: bold">They're very comfortable. Lots of leg room and good seats (soft and pretty supportive at the same time). But yes, interior and trunk space is nothing like most other 2 seaters. The ride with Monroe Sensatrac struts is just about right to me, for it's NOT like typical old Buick but not really harsh. I wouldn't want Dynaride, that's soft enough to bottom out over most railroad crossings. It's firm enough to handle pretty well but doesn't jarr you. You can change to poly sway bar end links which will improve corner lean.</span>

Bear in mind that I have not (as of today) had a chance to sit in one, much less test drive so I am coming at this from a slight disadvantage. Also, I am 5'10", normal weight so I am not a very large guy who would be apt to feel cramped in a reasonably sized space. As well, how would you rate leg room comfort? I will be on the lookout for one being sold locally (St. Louis, MO) in the hope that I can try the fit for myself in the next few weeks.

3. Aside from cosmetic/glass parts that are unique only to the Reatta, are most parts readily available either AC/Delco or Original GM? Seems the 3800 enigne should be a non-issue here, as it is a very common motor, and I see a lot of things (interior door release handle, lock switch, actuator, glove box latch just for starters) that are the very same parts as my Deville so I know these kinds of items are easily obtained. Overall, how difficult is it to keep these on the road without having to scrounge for critical components? I don't mind paying for new parts for engine/suspension/brakes to make sure things are done right, so salvage yards are usually my last resort for anything that is still available as a new part.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yup, most parts that will go bad are readily available from your favorite parts store or dealer. Jim Finn takes care of the specific stuff like body and interior pieces. Keep in mind that they're an E body car, and so except for the body share most parts with the Riviera of the time period. Not as many similarities but also similar to the Toronado and Eldo of the time. </span>

4. Paint. I have read much about the special paint process used at the Craft Centre, but I am wondering if some colors hold up better than others. I am probably going to want white with a red or tan interior (gray would be fine too if the former 2 are too difficult to find) but have not ruled out other colors entirely. My worry here is the infamous early 90's clear coat peel that plagues so many other GM products of that era. Most seem to be dark colors, and I wonder if this is just my perception or if there really is a pattern to this.

Their paint holds up pretty well. With my bright red the clearcoat is doing some weird stuff on the front fenders (plastic, the rest of the body is steel BTW). You can dig your fingernails into it and make marks. White will sometimes get fine black lines under the clearcoat. The Reatta pinstripe is supposed to not entirely cover the doors, which can often help to show if a car has been repainted (though a few Reattas came from the factory without it as a delete option, and sometimes the pinstripe will be properly redone. It's painted if it's factory, too).

So, I think that's it. Sorry for being so long winded. I will start looking around to see what's for sale that catches my interest but I am in no rush to buy; I want to do this right and I can hold out for the right color/condition/miles etc. since this would be a second car for me. I would rather wait for the right car than jump into a problem - and that's one of the main reasons I am considering the Reatta over the Eldorado at the moment. Seems like many Eldo's have problems with the Northstar - and this has me spooked.

Many thanks in advance to those who reply!

KDirk </div></div>

F14CRAZY-

Thanks for your helpful information. To clarify a couple of things, I am looking to do a coupe, convertibles just aren't my thing. Maybe not as fun with the hard top, but more practical - and safer! As far as the age of these cars now, that doesn't bother me, nor does making repairs. I do all my own work on my 95 Deville, and it is not exactly an easy car to work on - FWD, lots of electronics, engine bay pretty tight, although I do have the 4.9 PFI, not the Northstar, which is a big plus in my opinion.

I've done all the bread and butter stuff, transmission service, suspension and brakes all around, oil pan and valve cover gaskets, water pump, etc. so I am well versed in doing the work and have the tools and skill to be comfortable doing so. I actually rather enjoy having the satisfaction of being able to do my own work and not only learn about the car but keep the cost down in the process.

As to the electronic quirks, this isn't a big deal for me. I have extensive background in electronics and have dealt with the Cadillac electrical systems for years; these are even more complex than the Reatta, so while troubleshooting can be time intensive, I've yet to be stumped.

I'd probably go after a 90, unless the right 91 came along only because the 91 commands a premium due to it's scarcity (as you have pointed out) and I'm not too concerned about the ABS goofiness with the Teves system.

A couple of other questions that occur to me now, I would like to find one with the 16 way seats. Are these considered a rare option, or will they be relatively easy to find? Also, how common is the UTD (security system)? Was it part of a package with the uplevel seats or the CD player, or was it simply an option that was available independent of anything else?

I've actually located one in Wisconsin (via Cars.com) that is a 90 white over red, appears to have 16 way seats (has a switch pod on the side of the seat) does have the CD player and looks to be in great shape at 88,000 miles I may call about. Price is about $4000, does this seem low for one in good shape? Blue Book for a 90 with these miles is right at 3800-4000, but I know you can't use KBB to accurately represent the price on a special interest/near collectible like the Reatta. I just wonder if there is something I'm not seeing in the pictures provided in the ad that has knocked the price down. I could drive up to WI and drive this back, only about 600 miles round trip, reasonable enough.

I'll see what develops.

KDirk

I will only address the comfort question as I am decidedly not of the mechanic ilk. I'm 5'9" and about average in weight. The car is huge inside. I prefer setting up a bit - but there is a ton of leg room. The steering wheel may be a bit close though.

Guest F14CRAZY

Well KDirk, I don't think a Reatta will be a challenge for you to maintain. And yeah, it is nice to know you did your own work.

Barney could probably chip in on how many Reattas have 16 way seats, but I wouldn't consider it rare. It was an independent option

The security system is standard. It's just a passive system along with the ignition key with the "chip"

$4k for a '90 coupe with 88k miles sounds like a good deal, neither you nor the owner would be getting shafted smile.gif. I'd check for rust around the rear wheel wells, in front of the rear wheels (the dog leg) and under the lip of the trunk lid.

Welcome! Based on what I've read from you so far, I think a Reatta would be your kind of car. I've owned mine since August 1998. I've always been pleased with it, even if it can be a pain sometime, but like you stated, the car is older. To put it into the proper light, the newest Reatta is already 16 yyears old, so yes, some problem are going to happen. Having owned a 90 Eldordo some years back I can comment on the two cars. As for ride, the Cadillac wins, but then again the Reatta is a different class of car. Does it beat you to death on the road? No, not at all. I find the ride to be very pleasant. As far as room, I think the Reatta has more room than you might find in some smaller 4 doors. Of course, there are no backseats. I find the rear storage compartments handy. Trunk space is more than you would guess as well. Being a V8, the Cadillac had more pep, yet not that much difference. Mine is a 89 with over 150,000 miles, the paint still looks very nice. There is no clearcoat problems. The car does stay in the garage each night and it is not driven daily. Yet, I've put on over 70,000 miles since I bought the car and the paint still looks the same and its silver! A color not known to stay fresh looking over time. Considering the mileage, even my interior shows very little ware. All in all I think with your background repairing your Cadillac, you would find owning a Reatta a piece of cake. One item of advise, do get a shop manual. They are worth their weight in gold. You can download one at www.reatta.net, but I still would rather have an actual book. Lastly, the beat resource is this forum. Great people, with great knowledge. What more could you want?

Howard,

Great additional info. I have to say that this is a great forum. I am also on the Cadillac Owners forum and we have a great (and knowledgeable) group over there, but there seems to be more "dedication to the cause" on here. Of course, that is probably because we are only focused on one model (and a relative orphan based on it's low production) versus many on the Caddy site. I am already feeling right at home here. Definitely more of an enthusiast vibe here, which really is nice.

In any case, I am impressed by how many good clean solid cars are represented here given the age- either they were unusually well made or the owners who post here are as fanatical about maintenance as I am with my Caddy. I suspect a bit of both is to be credited. This seems to bode well for me, as I should be able to find a good one without breaking the discretionary spending budget.

It will also be a new challenge for me to bring the car up to my standards of being as close as possible to showroom condition. I've spent four years doing this on the Caddy (at considerable expense, ugh) and it is now paying off - I have a 12 year old car that could pass for new. Actually, it is in better shape now than when I bought it, mechanically and cosmetically. I just like being able to do that, even if it is a lot of money spent that cannot be recovered in terms of market value. Cars are an indulgence and a hobby for me, so I have no problem doing something as long as it's done right.

I will probably call about the one in Wisconsin in the next day or two, I know someone in Milwaukee who can probably check it out for me to see if there are any major problems. That way, I know before I decide to make a trip up there whether or not it is even worth my while. The downside is that I can already see myself rushing into decision making mode. I'm determined not to get bit in the butt by impulse, and do this with common sense.

I will also be eying the for sale section here to see if any that fit my rather narrow list of preferred options/colors show up. Like I posted before, I'm not in a big hurry because I don't have to be. This will be a car just for enjoyment, not a daily beater. I also spy a couple of decent looking ones on ebay; yeah, I know - cars on ebay=trouble. I am reluctant to consider that route as there are better avenues to find what I want, this site chief amongst them.

Oh, and I will definitely get a FSM. Have them for both the Cadillacs I've owned thus far and will concur - you just shouldn't work on these cars without them on hand. I will likely order from Helm so I can get a clean new one, seems very few show up on ebay, which surprises me. The two or three 1990 shop manuals I've seen on there the last several days were all ratty and used up looking.

KDirk

Guest Tammy

Well hello from Wisconsin! Welcome to this wonderful site!

Sounds like you have done your homework. And you can always count on the wonderful folk here to help you out when needed.

I did spot a coupe located in Horicon Wi for sale. I'm near the Dells area, if I could help you out by checking something out.

I love my drop top. If you could test drive both a coupe and drop top before you buy, you may change your mind. There is just something special about a drop top.

There is plenty of leg room etc. That was the first thing my Dad said when he got in my car. He just couldn't believe how much room there is and that it rode so nice and was very comfortable. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Please keep us posted...sounds like you will be on pins and needles soon!

Tammy

Kdirk

I purchased my first Reatta in 1994 (Red Conv for 1700K, 22K mi)and took it home in Florida. My wife had never seen one and as I drove in the driveway and parked, she came out the door and made such a fuss over it I made the mistake of giving her the keys to take it for a spin. I think I only got to drive it a few times since. So If your married, watch out. We sold it about 5 years later and I had not one bit of trouble with it.

We purchased our second (Red Conv 45K mi) this past year. Took Amtrak from Seattle to Santa Barbara CA to pick it up and drove it back (1200 mi) without a hitch. This one I purchased for investment and week end sun fun which is as rare here as the Reatta itself.(I keep the Keys, Ha,Ha).

You may whsh to wait awhile on buying and try to get out to the Buick Nationals this month(July 25th thru the 28th)Check the BCA web site for more show info. You will be able to see a few of the best in the country and I'm sure hitch a ride or drive one or more.Most of all you will be able to meet face to face some of the best Reatta experts in the countru. A number of members will be showing their Reattas and there are some special Reatta events planned. I feel the Reatta is the next generation great classic and will be well worth whatever level of dollars you invest either for fun, show or just as a daily driver. "TACOMA"

Definitely find one with the 16-way seats. I wouldn't consider one without.

OK I'd consider it, but would replace the seats with 16-ways first thing. smile.gif

...and I simply adore my touchscreen.

I'm actually something of a Cadillac guy myself and have owned 5 Caddys in addition to my extensive experiences with my dad's 6 (including an Allante) You'll be very happy with the Reatta, there is no better American Grand Touring vehicle IMO.

I'm 5'9" and have no trouble with leg, nor headroom in any of my Reattae, especially in my 1991 Convertible.

Maintenance is minimal, and easily accomplished by most GM mechanics, as the drivetrain is identical to Riviera, and many other GM cars. Most drive parts are readily available, thru GM, and national parts stores.

Curb appeal is enormous! I love both the coupes, and the ragtops, for the style and features of each. My preferance is for the drop-tops of '90 & '91, they look toooo cooool, driving around topless.

I owned 5 Reatta coupes when I bought "Black Beauty", and have been smitten with her ever since.

So, I'd recommend a '91 Reatta convertible, if you can find one available. Check the Reatta buy/sell forum here for one. The prices for '91 convertibles is well above other years/models, but there were less than 200 released, making them the most rare line of US production convertibles since the 1959 Cadillac El Dorado Brougham, (101 cars), a truly rare, unique automobile.

6-2-07inMISpeedwaypits038.jpg

I really appreciate the feedback on all of this. I will certainly be looking, and am hoping to buy [the right] one in the near future. Looks like the 90 in Wisconsin I saw online got away the day before I was going to call. No big deal, I'm sure I'll come across another. I have had one other setback, I found out this morning that I will have to drop a substantial amount of money on an unexpected expense for home repairs. So, my petty cash has taken a big hit and I will probably wait a bit to buy until the "toy fund" is replenished.

In the meantime, I will be continuing to read-up on the peculiarities of this car so I am ready to take proper care of one as soon as I have it. In any case, I am looking forward to the day I can sit down and drive my own.

Another quick question- I am correct in assuming that the 16 way power seats are identified by the extra switch "pod" on the side of the seat? Since the main seat controls are on the door, I have been of the impression that the seat-side controls are for the lumbar and bolster control. If this is the case then at least it'll be easy enough for me to pick one with the 16 way seats from just a picture.

One final thing I was wondering, can an aftermarket moon-roof be added to the Reatta without it being a hack job? I rather dislike aftermarket-installed moon-roofs due to the possibility of leaks, etc. but I might consider doing one if there are adequate mounting clearances to do so. Then again, I like to stay stock on a car like this (except for the radio perhaps, stock stereo's just never do it for me) so I would be hesitant to do one in the first place.

Thanks again to all,

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

There have been people that have put in after market sunroofs, but it doesn't look right IMO, plus the car's that came with the sunroof had a different headliner