Edmunds Dual intake for Packard?

alsancle

I'm trying to identify this intake I found in my dad's basement. I know it doesn't fit pre-war super8 and I measured against his 53 Caribbean and it was smaller. Over on the Hamb: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190449&highlight=packard+edmunds

there is a Edmunds catalog and this sure looks similar to 1751 which is for Packard. My question is did Packard have a smaller 8 in the 50s? I guess I should know this but I thought there was only the one straight 8 carried in all the lines.

A.J.

post-31305-143137937805_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143137937807_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143137937809_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I recall, all of the manifolds from the 288, 327, 356 & 359 will interchange. </div></div>

If this is true then I'll have to measure my Dad's 53 Caribbean again. It looked like it was too small when I measured it yesterday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packards42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice find, I got one new reproduction put away for the limo one day,, together with the high compression edmunds head. </div></div>

WOW here did you get those if you don't mind me asking?

Indeed I have been researching the dimensions you provide, and have researched Pontiac as well. My conclusion is there is posssibly some difference between them, but it cannot be much. Certainly different carb options, 3 bolt, 4 bolt and different throat size. My sources reveal 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and 1.5" carb holes. You figure. Further, my machine shop is willing to take on the project, even if it means a bit of port matching. I would need to have them make an exhaust heat blockoff plate anyway, so they say bring the intake, exhaust and block and they will "make" it work. Will you sell the manifold? Please?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old edunds dual intake that Ive had for years, looks brand new and polished, its not for a Packard though, I am having it cut to pit my 41 120 business coupe, the 282 intake I meausred is 8 inchs from outer to inner ports and 8 1/4" on the 2 center ports. This might be a 288 intake also as I didnt make it, I plan on taking my original intake off when I get ready to have the edmunds modified. I have a pic of it but have to figure out how to post it.

• 11 years later...

Hi, i was just looking for duals carb intake for my 47 Clipper engine, and this came up, am so glad to have found guys, am interested in buying one just like the one here , if anybody selling one , let me know pleas.

Thks Jorge Cardozo

Van Nuys , California.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-EDMUNDS-CUSTOM-Dual-Carburetor-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-8-Cylinder-Original/323817201172

Buy an original if you can,  the reproductions, at least the first ones,  did not have the right plenum structure and it was hard to get the car to run right.

• 3 years later...