1913 REO - Remy 4 Starter Motor

Mike Mahar

Remy 4 Starter motor; planning to install into a 1913 REO.   Please see attached Photos!  I know it fits since all the mounting holes line up between the starter motor and frame.   I am also sure this was used by different automotive manufactures.   I would like to thank who ever replies in advance.  The variety and amount of expertise on this forum is astounding.   Any way a few questions on how to get this starter motor assembly to work!  

1.   How do you get all the corrosion and crud out of the frame of the electric motor.   See attached!

2.   I am missing the linkage between motor and whatever was used as a starter button.   I am planning on making up the linkage, just what?   Any photos would help a lot. 

3.   Also I am missing the gear that mounts on the drive shaft.  REO the fifths had a separate drive shaft between the engine flywheel/clutch.   I don’t have any information on how it was done.   

DSCN1290.JPG

DSCN1317.JPG

DSCN1291.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

4 hours ago, Mike Mahar said:

1.   How do you get all the corrosion and crud out of the frame of the electric motor.   See attached!

Remove the pole shoes. They will have large screws from the outside. I made a perfectly fitting screw driver out of a grade 8 bolt, drilled a hole in the centre of the head and set it up in my bearing puller with a large ring spanner on the bolt. Pressure from the puller (in the wee hole in the centre of the bolt head) keeps the screw driver engaged in the screw and you can figure out the rest. I have a picture somewhere...

See post 9 in this topic:

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)