? Correct valve covers 1969 Riviera GS ??

kreed

I have a 1969 Riviera GS that I bought several years  ago from the original owner in Montana where it had lived its entire life . It's a great car  with 45K miles but something which has always bugged me is that it came with chrome valve covers . I have searched the options lists for that year and  can't  it find any mention of that being an option and all the pictures that I have seen (while limited ) do not show any with chrome valve covers  so... I am interested to know if that was ever an option . If not, I am considering painting them together original red which brings up another subject - how good does chrome take paint - ?..rough it up with sand paper, prime and paint ?..... Help would be greatly appreciated

KReed

ROA. 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm not sure in which year Buick started doing it, but you could buy chrome valve covers for the 400/430/455 through the parts dept. At your dealership.  Keep them, or sell them and buy some steel ones to paint.  Painting chrome only gives so-so results if you don't strip the chrome first. And that's on part that arent exposed to engine heat.

The air cleaner lid on a GS was chrome but the GS option did not include chrome valve covers.  As stated above, they could be obtained over the counter at the Buick parts department as well as aftermarket suppliers.  I would put them aside or sell them.  It would be easier to buy painted ones and they should not be too difficult to obtain.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...